“Don't Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
San Diego
“Don't Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

My travel newsletter had an ad for this place at a good rate, so I booked it for my last night in New Orleans. No parking at the hotel so I had to pay $20 per nigh extra for valet...more on this later. The desk clerk told me my credit card was declined. No problem, I have others, but after getting to my room and immediately calling the bank and spending 10 minutes in phone menus and on hold, my bank told me the card was declined because the clerk was entering the wrong expiration date into the machine! Anyway, the hotel was old, but nice. Nice decor, a bit aged, but no more than expected. Bathroom amenities were excellent ( I stole the shampoo), and the beds were comfy. My room overlooked the courtyard and was so quiet I slept with the french doors open to the patio. The next day, I came from breakfast (don't eat breakfast at Mother's) at 10AM, told the desk I would be down in 10 min to check out and to please bring my car. I got my luggage and came back down to check out. After a long wait while the clerk was on a personal phone call, she printed the bill. They tried to charge me $25 instead of $20 for parking because I had a "truck". I was driving a rented PT Cruiser - most defnitely NOT a truck. So then I had to wait while she figured out how to fix it; I think she was stalling so I would tell her not to bother. She finally got it fixed and then I waited for my car. And waited. And waited. And waited. After 40 min I complained and the desk clerk and the bell man interrupted their flirting to tell me there was nothing they could do. Another ten min and I demanded to know where the garage was so I could go get it myself. As I was leaving the hotel, my car pulled up - 65 minutes after I asked for it!!!! Then the valet wanted a tip!!! Unbelievable. I had to drive like a maniac to make my flight. Don't stay if you want good service and certainly NEVER give them the keys to your car. Stay at the Country Inn & Suites about 5 blocks further down Decatur after it turns into Magazine St. similar prices but a much better experience.

• Liked — Nice decor
  • Disliked — Staff and valet were terrible
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

This is a charming hotel in a great French Quarter location. I loved my room, the fancy bath amenities, the cool iPod/sound machine thingy.... more than I expected. The pool area was lovely, lobby was small but quaint. The staff was always attentive when I needed them, this seems like a good choice in New Orleans, I would stay there again and recommend it to anyone. No problems with noise and I had an exterior room, maybe it depends on the day of the week, I was there on a weekday.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

The hotel is very quaint, with a great location - close proximately to all. Most of the staff was friendly. Room was a little small (Standard King) bathroom is a little dated, carpet stained, but all in all I liked the hotel - It is what it is, a boutique hotel. What completely ruined our stay there was the absolute deafening noise coming in thru our (closed) window all night every night - there is a warehouse or something directly across the street, and they played, on the sidewalk, rap every night until 4:00 every morning. I did not sleep for 2 nights. We were supposed to stay for 5 nights, we left after 2. I asked for a room that was not facing the street, but they did not have any available. So, we told the front office we were checking out the next day. Couldn't loose another night of sleep. We had one last thing to do (swamp tour) but told them we would be happy to check out that day so they could have it open for another guest. What has made me absolutely furious, is that they just didn't care about my business. We asked if they could at least refund one or two days. They said it wasn't their problem, and for me to call Travelocity. I did that when I came home, and Travelocity called them to see if they would offer a refund!!! They said no!! Absolutly horrible. So, a warning to all of you who are contemplating the Bienville House - like I said, great location - just be absolutely sure to request a room that is NOT facing the exterior/street. I have read other guests comments, and they have mentioned the same. I should have heeded their advise - now I'm out of money for the hotel, had to pay extra to change my flight plan - and out of vacation that I had planned in January. Back to work with nothing to show for it. Bummer!

Stayed July 2008
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

My boyfriend & I visited The Bienville House June 27-June 30, 2008. TravelZoo was promoting a summer special for this hotel which caught my eye, however I was a bit nervous after reading some of the reviews on TripAdvisor.

All in all, we had a fantastic stay at the Bienville. The location couldn't be better as we were able to walk to Bourbon Street, Canal Street, Harrah's, the French Market and the River Walk very easily. Our room was just as promised online, with a very comfy king-sized bed and seperate dressing area. The hotel itself seemed to be in great condition and had a wonderful, boutique feel to it. The public areas were always well kept, including the pool which we did not have time to use. The hotel also served a free continental breakfast which was typical of what you'd find at most hotels - pastries, bagels, cereal & fruit. It was a fine start to our day...especially since it was free. The woman working the breakfast was quite odd - very friendly, but also a bit too talkative. I know that sounds rude to say, but I'm not sure how else to describe our daily interactions.

We didn't experience issues with the staff the way other travelers have, although they certainly weren't the most accomodating team either. They strictly enforce their 3 pm check-in, despite our attempts to get into the room earlier. They do have a locked room to hold your bags until your room is ready.

Because of its location a few blocks from the river, we did experience a decent amount of noise - mostly the steam boat whistles as they pulled in & out. As a New Yorker, we weren't too phased by it but it may be something worth considering. The noise may also be less if your room isn't facing Decatur Street as ours was.

Overall, we loved our stay and were sad to leave. If we ever find ourselves in New Orleans again (which I hope we do), we will absolutely consider The Bienville House again. It is a great value for your money with it's ideal location and charming decor.

• Liked — Charming decor, very comfortable room, great location
  • Disliked — Some noise from Decatur Street & River
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

Thoroughly enjoyed my 7-day stay at the Bienville. Very well situated in French Quarter. Lots to do nearby. Clean, well-decorated room with all we needed. Small but cozy lobby, European-style. All-you-can-eat continental breakfast. Single slow elevator but only 4 floors (walk up!). Single computer / free Internet. Friendly concierge. Ask for room overlooking small pool and courtyard (very quiet). Some rooms on the 4th floor have no windows. True, you can hear the train at night once in a while. Small parking area but came by plane for AMORC convention and city visit. Do not sell stamps for our postcards! No shuttle service but "taxi van" available ($) to get to bus/train terminal or airport. Expensive to phone from your hotel room, even with calling card. No restaurants on the premises but very good ones close by. NOLA is a wonderful place to visit. Southern hospitality was much appreciated! I would gladly go back to this hotel on a return visit!

• Liked — Clean room, free continental breakfast, terrific location
  • Disliked — Can hear street noise (cafes nearby) in rooms overlooking Decatur Street at night
  • Stayed June 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

This hotel is fantastic! Location is central in the French Quarter and is very close to the riverwalk and famous Cafe du Monde. The room was huge and had great amenities include great bath products, bath robes, iron and ironing board and ipod ready alarm clock. The best thing about the room was the balcony that overlooked the pool and courtyard. Service was great and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Size of room and location
  • Disliked — 1 Elevator - was a bit slow
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2008

Loved the decor, the staff was very friendly. Breakfast was good. Bed was comfortable. I would recommend courtyard exposure as Decauter St can be loud.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — The fire station
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Bienville House? Share your experiences!