“Not the best...not the worst...BUT...” 2 of 5 stars

Bienville House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   320 Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #39 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Dallas, Texas
“Not the best...not the worst...BUT...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

This was a getaway over Thanksgiving weekend...for my husband and myself. The location couldn't be better as it is in the heart of the French Quarter. That is what we thought. We would discover that is NOT the case. We arrived Thanksgiving day after driving 9 hours from Dallas. The King room they give us had NO WINDOWS. I thought that strange but being an old hotel - this was an interior room. I asked for a room with windows which was a considerable $$ upgrade but was willing to pay for it. That's when the problems started. Our windows looked out at the NO Fire Department Station. How many fire calls do they get in the night I ask? No answer was given. We then notice that the bathroom has small tiny black ants all over. The interior room had them too. Guess they are not using an exterminator for their hotel!

If you are looking for fluffy white towels and comfortable pillow top mattresses...this is NOT the hotel for that. Better stay at their sister hotel at 3 times the cost for those luxuries. The rooms are very pretty but who sleeps on the curtains?

The worst of it all was the newly opened Night Club just 4 doors down that stays open till 4:00 a.m. Locals would use the street out front as their "drag" while they slowly show off their fancy cars and LOUD STEREO SYSTEMS driving by the club. If I had wanted Bourbon Street...I would have stayed there! Good thing we brought our ear plugs because we needed them!

Staff was great...very helpful and accommodating. Hotel not in the best location because of the "fire station", night club and black ants got to stay for free! Would we stay again? No!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
BienvilleHouseHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Bienville House, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you endured during your recent visit to New Orleans and Bienville House

We are greatly sorry for the inconveniences you experienced. Your comments have been brought to the attention of our Management for review.

I hope you will reconsider your impression of Bienville House and allow us another opportunity to provide you the type of hospitality, ambiance and service upon which our reputation is established and which you have every right to expect.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Eddyville, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

I've walked passed the front of Bienville House for years. Located on a somewhat quiet western end of Decatur Street, the exterior is lovely. On this trip, we decided to give it a try. Traveling with my girlfriend, her 15 year old daughter, and my 14 year old "special needs stroller bound" autistic son, I wasn't sure what to expect. The primary goal of the trip was to take the kids to the aquarium. Since my son is disabled, we chose Bienville House due to its close proximity.

We arrived in the late afternoon on a Sunday to mild chaos in the lobby. One set of extremely high-strung tourists were trying to check out, but there seemed to be some question as to where there car was! And they were very vocal about their stay (loud whispers intended to make waves among those around them--rude if you ask me), but I won't go into any of that. I think one of the members of this party set out on foot to go get her car that was parked at another hotel property. She was not happy...

There seemed to be a shortage of staff, because patrons were having trouble checking out, and there was at least one group there who were having to wait a long time to get their room. We also had a delay in getting our room. I got the impression that some of the house keeping staff maybe didn't show up or something. But, hey, things happen! We left our luggage with the porter, said "C'est la vie!" and hit Decatur Street bound for Crescent City Brewery.

When we returned an hour or so later things had calmed down significantly. Our room was ready. We chose a cheaper interior room, one devoid of windows. This was going to be a whirlwind tour of the French Quarter. Who needs windows when you're not spending time in the room save for sleeping? The room was spacious, clean as a whistle. No complaints there. It was weird not knowing if the sun was up when you awoke in the morning, but it served its purpose. (Interestingly, and no fault of the hotel, but the book you always get detailing hotel amenities, room service, etcetera, had been viciously defaced with derogatory remarks in ink by a previous guest. We didn't have any of the issues they seemed to have, but reported the vandalism to the front desk).

Now, chaos at check in aside, the hotel was very nice. The pool area looked divine, though I didn't go down. My girls daughter did and she seemed pleased. My biggest gripe with the hotel was the elevator. It is very cramped, and traveling around with my sons stroller/wheel chair was tedious. But worse was the wait! One time I spent nearly twenty minutes waiting to get a ride down from the third floor. The door would open and every time it was crammed with patrons so no way to get the stroller in. It was almost the size of a phone booth! Well, maybe a bit bigger. But the wait was aggravating.

I expressed some of these concerns via the card you fill out and drop in the box. I received a letter from the general manager thanking me for taking the time. I said I probably would not return. Probably would not with an autistic child in a stroller, simply due to the elevator issue. Maybe there was a bigger handicapped model someplace else. But the overall experience wasn't bad. I'll give them pass on the check in issue. The hotel was clean, pretty, and our room was nice. Can't say I recommend the interior suites, but (again) who goes to NOLA to spend all day looking out a window at the cityscape!

The staff were among the friendliest we've ever encountered in NOLA. Very friendly. And they remembered my name, which still amazes me...

I think this would be a great hotel for solo or couples. And even families sans the mobility issue.

Room Tip: The interior suites are obviously dark but very quiet. If you're going to party all night and sl...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
We sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding your time with us in September. We're so glad you found our hotel to be pretty, clean, and nice. We understand your concerns about the elevator, and are bringing your remarks to the attention of the management team for review. We do hope you'll visit us again in NOLA someday!
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We arrived Wednesday mid afternoon after a seven hour drive from Fort Worth and were greeted by a very understanding and kind lady on reception called Beverly. This kind lady checked us into a very lovely room/suite immediately on arrival even though we arrived early.
We planned on staying two nights only but because we had such a lovely experience in the hotel and because of the very friendly staff we stayed an extra night.
The lady doing breakfast was so helpful and gave us a big hug when we were leaving , it was like we were family. Certainly would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a lovely friendly place to stay when in NOLA . Keep up the good work best regards from
Your Irish Friends !!!!!!

Keep up

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your comments about the luxury service you received at Bienville House. We aim to provide each guest with the same wonderful experience you described. Please come back and visit us soon!
Marlton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed at the Bienville for our weekend in New Orleans. The location is great, you are far enough away from the noise of Bourbon Street and walking distance to just about everything, but there is a train that goes by twice a night and sounds its horn :) The staff are very kind and helpful. Our room was not as nice as I had hoped. The carpet was really stained and dirty and the cleanliness of the bathroom was not great. There is only one very tiny elevator for four floors. Not sure that I would book again here with all the other choices in the Quarter.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your recent visit to New Orleans and Bienville House

I regret that you did not receive the level of service we are capable of providing and I apologize. Your remarks are well taken and have been brought to the attention of our management team for review.

We greatly value your patronage and do hope that you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to display to you the type of hospitality and service upon which our reputation is based and which you have every right to expect.
Oahu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

My friends and I booked a room with the Bienville House for our girlfriend's bachelorette party weekend. I made our reservations over the phone without any problems. Once we all arrived, the front desk was incredibly helpful and offered advice on the better swamp tours in the area. The hotel itself was everything we could have hoped for. It definitely had the quintessential boutique charm we were looking for. The furnishings, drapes, etc. were incredible! Another reason we chose the hotel was for the location. In the evenings we were a short walk away from Bourbon street, and during the day we were in prime shopping/venturing areas. I would most definitely recommend this hotel to a friend, and would be more than happy to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
We sincerely appreciate your positive feedback regarding your time with Bienville House. Sounds like a great Bachelorette weekend! We look forward to having you again someday.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Perfectly centered in the French Quarter
Rooms dated, but in keeping with "old" world style
Nice shampoos/soaps despite dated bathroom
Restaurant/bar was closed during my stay but such good restaurants around, probably doesn't matter
Bell staff, front desk were very very friendly. I had to make a change on my departure, and they were very accommodating without any attitude

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon!
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I searched for the best offer in the French Quarter to experience New Orleans and found Bienville which offers a good rate for its location. Situated in the French Quarters but not right smack in it, gives me a quieter atmosphere of French Quarter, away from the noise in Bourbon St but very near to go there. The hotel is beautiful but the room is a bit small but you'll ignore that because of the beautiful decor. All the interesting touristy places such as Bourbon st, Royal St, Jackson Square etc are just a walking distance away and the Mississippi River is just across the road. Overall a great beautiful hotel and would love to come again one day.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
BienvilleHouseHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Bienville House, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
So glad you enjoyed your time with us! Excellent choice. We look forward to your return!

Been to Bienville House? Share your experiences!