“Good Location...Lacking in Service” 3 of 5 stars

Bienville House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   320 Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #40 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Conroe, TX
“Good Location...Lacking in Service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

We decided to take a couple of days and visit NOLA. We don't enjoy the party crowd, but we wanted to get a flavor of the city. Wanting the French feel, we slected this hotel because of the reviews and photos. Overall, we enjoyed the boutique feel of the hotel...it was quaint. Smelled a little musty, but you sort of just got used to it. I think what was disappointing was the level of service. Thankfully, several reviews made comments re: the lack of service, so we were somewhat prepared. As with many others, we asked for an upgrade. We were simply told "no" and reminded that we had already booked and paid for a certain level of room when we made our online reservations. When pointing out to them that I was an 'I Prefer' member and ask about our complimentary upgrade (along with a welcome gift), they indicated they would mention it to the manager when she returned later that evening. The next evening (yes, 24 hrs later) we returned to our room to find a welcome letter from the General Manager along with a bottle of water and a praline from the bakery next door.

We did like the location...within walking distance from everything. Would we stay again? Probably not. I think I would prefer the sister hotel (which is where they parked our car), Hotel Monteleon.

We found a great resturaunt that we ate at several times - Stanley's, on Jackson's Square. Great salad! Fantastic burgers and sandwiches. Reasonable rates. Amazing customer service.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
BHSales, Guest Relations Manager at Bienville House, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear JnC521,

I am truly sorry that you did not receive the kind of service we are capable of providing and which you deserve. Your comments have been brought to the attention of our Management. We value your patronage and hope that you will give the Bienville House another try in future trips to New Orleans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

This hotel is in a great location, walking distance to everything. The rooms are nice. The continental breakfast is ok, nothing special. The breakfast servers on the otherhand were very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately the desk clerks and bellmen are very indifferent. Upon check in I asked the desk clerk if I could upgrade to a room with a balcony. Her response - "No". No explanation. Just "No". I walk with a cane due to leg surgery and we were given the room furthest from the elevator in the far corner of the building.

When we walked through the lobby the bellmen would look up from reading their newspaper or cell phone without acknowledgement. I said hello a couple of times and they just looked at me. The desk clerks never looked up or greeted guests coming or going through the lobby. I have read other reviews on this site raving about the great service. That is one reason why I booked in this hotel and based on that info decided to write a review. The manager sent me an email asking for my opinion of the hotel. I spent my time responding to his request and he never replied.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear JohnL77027,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We will be notifying management about your comments on service and apologize you did not receive the level of excellence all of out guests deserve.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

Recently my mom, sister and I stayed at the Bienville House and absolutely loved it. We booked a balcony room through their website, but to our great surprise, when we arrived they gave us a seriously spectacular upgrade to the Penthouse Suite (Iberville Suite) for the same price as the Superior Room that we originally booked.
Our Suite was completely amazing!! Our huge private balcony overlooked Decatur Street and the fire station. The king bed in the bedroom was soo comfortable neither too hard or soft. The decor was beautiful. We also had a little bar area which included a mini fridge and a small commercial type ice maker which got a lot of use. The suite had two bathrooms. One half bath and then the huge main bathroom. The main Bath was fantastic!! Large jacuzzi tub and a huge walk in shower which was like taking a shower under a waterfall..AWESOME WATER PRESSURE..The historic charm the hotel had added to it's beauty. The staff was just awesome.The courtyard was amazing especially at night!! Our Suite was located on the fourth floor same as the Sundeck patios which were really beautiful. I can't say enough good things about the Bienville House Hotel and it's staff.. The only negative thing I can think of is that we didn't want to leave the hotel to go explore the Quarter!!

PS. The Hotel was in an awesome location..I will definitely stay here again when I come back!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear scoobies,

We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Bienville House and hope to see you again soon. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and share your experience.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

The location was great. Close enough to everything yet quite enough to have a good night sleep. The hotel is pretty and the rooms were fine. They were actually larger than I expected.

I have read some prior reviews and did not have the same experience with the staff. They were fine when you asked questions face to face, but I thought being a smaller place, the staff would be more friendly. We actually made a game of seeing if anyone would say hello or even acknowledge us. They didn't say anything 90% of the time.

Now for the really unpleasant part of our stay. Valet parking for an SUV is $30 per night and your vehicle may be parked at a sister property which takes along wait time to attain. Well, we used the car for the day and valeted. Then still being outside and noticed our car being taken to park at the other hotel and not just the valet guy but he used my car as a cab for another staff member to the other property, so I assume!!

Upon check out, I mentioned this to the front desk person and she said she would talk to her boss. Well, silly me thinking an apology and a refund for parking would occur with a call from the manager. But nothing!!

If they can charge $30 a night for valet then I should be able to charge $30 for cab fare for their employees!!

Nice hotel, but expected so much more from a boutique hotel and management.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear midtown06,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Bienville House. We deeply apologize for you experience with the valet and would like to speak with you further. Please email Steve Caputo at scaputo@hotelmonteleone.com.

We value your patronage and hope that on your next visit to New Orleans you will allow us the opportunity to demonstrate the level of service you deserve.
Wash., DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

Had the good fortune of being invited to Mardi Gras by the King of Carnival and stayed at the Bienville House. The strength of the hotel is the staff. They all made me feel like I had a personal concierge looking after me. Two on staff who treated me like their best friend were Cynthia and Adrience at the front desk. "Looks like rain today, Mike, do you have an umbrella?" I didn't so they lent me one for the day. Room was clean, spacious, and in good working order. Hotel is inside the French Quarter and very close to the Garden District, the Riverfront, Superdome, etc. My next visit to New Orleans will be March 2012 for the Final Four and I look forward to another excellent stay at the Bienville House!!!
Mike Bliss

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
BHSales, Guest Relations Manager at Bienville House, responded to this review, October 24, 2011
Dear Metsin2007,

Thank you for this wonderful review. We are thrilled to learn you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was very accommodating and friendly. Please come see us again in the future.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We loved our stay at the Bienville House. Great location in the French Quarter, and the staff was excellent. Special kudos to the front desk staff and the valet--very accomodating. Room was very quiet. Enjoyed the breakfast each morning. We would stay here on our next visit to NO.

Room Tip: We had two double beds--beds were small for couples. Mattresses sloped to the middle. Choose a roo...