“Who Dat? spirit, with Poo Dat? quality. Don't Do It!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of St. Pierre

Save Saved
You added St. Pierre to your Saves list
St. Pierre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   911 Burgundy Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #113 of 152 hotels in New Orleans
Venice, California, United States
“Who Dat? spirit, with Poo Dat? quality. Don't Do It!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The St. Pierre…while it’s in a great location just a bit off the beaten down Bourbon street path, it’s by far the worst hotel experience I’ve ever had. In town for a last minute Super Bowl trip we thought we found a diamond in the rough. Last room available in the entire city. It looked like a remodeled quaint boutique chalk full of Louisiana charm. PERFECT… or so we thought.

On day one, we woke up too early to a man pressure washing the outside of our cottage – doors, walls and windows. This was a bit odd and slightly alarming to say the least, but it’s New Orleans (shoulder shrug). Then I step into the bathroom to shower… no hot water. Not to mention, the non-existent water pressure. When I called the front desk to tell them they responded with, “we’re working on it.” Fine. “Do you have an eta on when we might be able to shower? Maybe in 15 minutes.” OK, cool. One hour later, the water went from freezing to maybe just melted ice cube temperature. We were a bit hung over and eager to take on Super Saturday in NOLA so we decided to tough it out. Polar plunge it is.

The next morning we awoke to a horrific smell. I traced it to the shower where I found raw sewage seeping up from the drain. Brown chunks floating in standing water. Come to find out the toilet was no longer flushing as well. So instead of calling I threw on some clothes and headed to the front desk. There I was told that the room was JUST renovated and WE must have flushed a face towel or beads down the toilet. I was completely horrified, but in hopes of actually getting a shower in a town with no open hotel rooms for miles, I stayed calm. I responded with, no sir I’m sure that’s not the case, since the only time we’ve spent in the room was for sleeping. Their maintenance man who resembled scrooge with a southern twist, came to the room to assess the situation. He then threw up his arms insisting that we broke the plumbing. Huffing and puffing he stormed away grumbling about how he would have to go rent tools, etc. Obviously ruining his entire day.

I went back out to the front desk in hopes of finding someone who was trained in the field of hospitality to find a toilet/shower to use while on our NOLA holiday. There I found scrooge sitting down reading a paper, ie not renting tools. I told the manager that this was unacceptable and tried to trouble shoot. Are there any rooms where people have checked out? ANYWHERE we could shower or even relieve ourselves. With complete disdain, they told me that there were no free rooms and stated that scrooge would repair the damage they were certain we caused.

Feeling at a loss and high from feces fumes, we sat in our 10’ x 15’ cell, errr room, trying to figure out a plan B. With a stroke of luck we found one open room that popped up on Hotwire (which was coincidentally the website that got us into Hotel St. Pierre)… Embassy Suites with a massive price gauge. At this point, well worth it!

While we were packing up our stuff Scrooge returned with what looked like a giant enema kit and a shop vac. Within 10 minutes the toilet was removed and plunked down between our clean clothes and the bed. Just a few feet away from Scrooge working away, I was packing my bag when I felt liquid spray on my arm and jacket. I looked up to see that Scrooge was definitely not a plumber! Shop-vac’ing at the base, where the toilet once sat, he forgot the out-take hose. Ironically, this mistake resulted in a high-pressure shower of human feces/urine. Hitting me, and all of our bags. I screamed, STOP! But Scrooge couldn’t hear me beyond the hum of the vacuum. So I did what anyone trapped in my situation would do, and dove into the closet to try and minimize damage. FINALLY after screaming at the top of my lungs he heard me and stopped. Shocked, I emerged from the closet. With no real apology, he stepped out of the room to let me clean up and cool off.

After two days without a proper shower added to the normal stench of New Orleans existence, this was the icing on the cake. The candle on top was the fact that they wouldn’t refund our money. “Third party billing.”

We asked them to call us a cab but that was apparently out of their skill set so we had to fend for ourselves. While sitting on the front stoop waiting for a taxi to randomly drive by, an employee came out to say, “Come back now y’all, you hear!”

No thank you. I’m not sure who St. Pierre was, but we can definitely cross off the patron saint of plumbing!!

Honestly, this is the first time I can ever claim that I was showered in poo.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

372 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Glen Burnie, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

While I prefer boutique hotels for both charm and usually value, the St. Pierre was a little too little for my taste. Our room and the bed were tiny. It was cold and they provided a space heater that was very helpful.

The location is where this hotel shines...great walk to the area attractions and free parking. It was quiet for those who want to rest and get away from the action on Bourbon Street. Would I stay there again? Maybe. The neighborhood was perfectly safe and pleasant. The staff very friendly and helpful. I was gladly provided a late check-out. Breakfast was adequate, donuts, bagels and cereal...yet I ate my share of the tasty donuts provided! Coffee was good and strong.

All in all, the St. Pierre is not suitable for disabled or high-demand travelers due to narrow rooms/hallways/doors and the lack of amenities. That said, this is what living in the French Quarter is like and has been like for probably 200 years so it is an authentic experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Biloxi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Wow! do not know how this hotel is on the Frenchinns.com site. It has a long way to go. staff was very nice. but the rooms suck. Yes we the reservations online it was last minute.
The room had a window unit , a 13 inch tv , 2 double beds.. when we got there the room was 85 plus degrees.. and we actually had to cut on the ac to get it to a decent temp in the room.
I am pretty sure that now the heater was on to try and dry the carpet . walking around our sock feet got filthy and icky damp. the bathroom sink was not attached securely to the wall. the bathroom shower /tub not the cleanest. the shower head was just a spicket ( translation no showerhead) .. there were no amenities at all. no fridge , iron or coffee maker and it is not because there is not room. parking is a joke. this was our 1st and last visit... good luck

Room Tip: don't know if there is one. ours was horrible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Murphysboro, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the St. Pierre five times over the past few years. Most recently, we spent three nights here in the week before Christmas, 2012. As usual, we had a pleasant and comfortable stay. This is not a modern chain hotel (which seems to be what many of the negative reviewers wanted) but a quaint, quirky New Orleans hotel housed in several historic buildings. Yes, some of the rooms are a little shabby but they have loads of charm. During our most recent stay, renovations were in full swing, so the hotel is clearly updating some of its rooms. We have never had any problems with cockroaches or other bugs and the rooms have always been clean and professionally serviced daily. The swimming pools, located in picturesque courtyards, are clean and well-maintained and we have enjoyed a refreshing dip in them on previous stays. The staff are usually friendly and helpful and the breakfast is adequate (coffee, juices, pastries, bagels, biscuits). If you want a more substantial breakfast, the Clover Grill is only five minutes away and there are two excellent groceries nearby (Matassa's, corner of Dauphine & St. Phillip, has a kitchen offering tasty take-out food). Contrary to some reviews, the St. Pierre is located in a safe area of the French Quarter and is just a short walk from all of the sights and attractions. We recommend this hotel as an excellent base to explore New Orleans, one of the world's most interesting and vibrant cities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Smith, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My family and I stayed here December 29/30 2012 before heading out on a cruise ship. The facility has lots of history (200+ years) , is IN the French QTR and is quaint ! If you are looking to stay in the French Quarter where you can walk a few blocks through history, this is the hotel. If you are looking for a Marriot / Hampton Inn experience then stay at one of those places. My family was looking for something nice yet historic and that is what you get here. Staff was friendly, neighborhood was interesting and the walk to local places of interest was short. We would stay here again. But be honest and don't rip these folks because they are not the Hilton, Like I said, if you want the mint on your pillow go somewhere else but if you want something interesting in the middle of the French Quarter then this is your place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
vacherie
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

First of all I am a local and I have a fishing camp that is nicer than this place! We had a suite with window units and one room had a heater..place was freezing! The sheets had hair on them ! We had to park 3 blocks down ! When I walk into a room of a hotel, I want the place to feel like home, or better than home. I couldn't imagine sleeping in the beds in this hotel. When we complained about how cold the rooms were, the front desk clerk asked if we wanted a "space heater" or more blankets!!!Really, we paid 276.00 plus tax and you wanted to give us a space heater???? Lets just say we checked out the same night we checked in and went to the Hilton for a cheaper price!!!! Never again Hotel St Pierre!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

It was a quaint hotel however the rooms are very small. We were there two days before Christmas and never got warm! The heater never slowed down attempting to heat the room and NEVER got the bathroom remotely warm. The tub was so cold I could not take a bath and the shower was so weak it hardly rinsed the soap off of me. The parking was terrible and the long walk to Burbon Street and other attractions was difficult for a "mature" couple. On a brighter note the front desk staff were very friendly. Maybe staying there in the Spring would be better?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Pierre? Share your experiences!