“Decent if unusual hotel in quiet location in French Quarter -” 3 of 5 stars
Review of St. Pierre

Save Saved
You added St. Pierre to your Saves list
St. Pierre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   911 Burgundy Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #107 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Decent if unusual hotel in quiet location in French Quarter -”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

A group of us stayed at the St Pierre during a recent convention. We had a good deal of fun because we could unwind by one of the pools during the evenings drinking wine bought at the convenience store across the road. I had a small room with a balcony, which would have meant sleepless nights if we had been closer to Bourbon, but here it was mercifully quiet. The crowds drop within a block of Bourbon, which in my view is overcrowded and rather over-rated. There are some good restaurants on and near Burgundy, and many more along Frenchman Street which is 15 min walk away.
In the hotel I liked the variety of rooms and the eccentric character (in the UK we value eccentricity). The shower in my room was not great - pressure was too low, but it was good enough. The balcony was narrow but wide enough to sit out on. Looking in my friends rooms showed the wide range - those refurbished recently looked pretty good. The mix of buildings and courtyards was a great antidote to the standard modern concrete chain hotels. Breakfast was basic but good. I liked the unsweetened porridge oats, and the coffee usually tasted more like coffee than in many American hotels. Bagels and pastries seemed OK. WiFi was free and worked pretty well.
During our stay the staff were very helpful and friendly.
I would stay again, but might also try the Andrew Jackson. I have stayed in several of the regular chain hotels in New Orleans in the past and enjoyed this one better - despite its limitations.

Room Tip: If you want new carpets and more modern furniture try to get a recently renovated room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

In 2011, some friends and I stayed at the Hotel St. Pierre's sister property on Royal, the Andrew Jackson. The Andrew Jackson wasn't a fabulous hotel but it wasn't terrible. It was affordable and it was mostly clean. So for a long weekend in October, we opted for the St. Pierre and one of its jazz suites because the Andrew Jackson was booked.

We read the reviews online and almost immediately began to regret our choice, but then we arrived and maybe the bad reviews were a blessing in disguise because our room certainly exceeded our expectations.

There were five of us and we stayed in the largest suite, which was upstairs on the west side of Burgundy. The stairs to our room were steep and narrow.

We had two full beds, a king bed and two full bathrooms. The full beds were very comfortable with relatively fluffy pillows and plenty of blankets. The sheets were clean and smelled fresh.

The room itself smelled just slightly musty, but then again, it's New Orleans. The room and the hotel ARE old so it was to be expected. However, the carpets must have been filthy because walking barefoot in the room was not a good idea.

The bathrooms were nothing special, but they were adequate. Towels smelled fresh and looked clean. One bathroom lacked a mirror over the sink, and the water pressure in that one was very low. But the bathrooms and the showers were not disgusting. They were clean, no mold or mildew to speak of. The bathrooms *appeared* to have been recently renovated with new tile around the bathtub and a new coat of paint, but the vanity was still a discount vanity/Home Depot floor sample.

The air conditioning worked great, in fact, almost too great. One member of our party had to stay bundled up all weekend because the AC was working too well.

The furniture is dated and mismatched, but again, modern furnishings weren't high on our checklist. We simply wanted a clean, affordable, convenient and comfortable room. We got that.

It is just a short walk to Bourbon St, although some of the streetlights on a nearby street were out, so it was very dark coming back to the room, but we never felt unsafe.

Parking is limited, but we were very fortunate to find a space in the lot. We had a little accident on the way in where we lost a side window in the car. It was going to be the next day before it could be repaired. Anthony, one of the staff members, took great care of us when we arrived, took our bags to our room, and helped us park the car so that it could be secure until the repair tech arrived.

The free breakfast is also adequate -- bagels, doughnuts, cereal, oatmeal, juice and coffee. Get there early for the best selection.

All in all, it wasn't a terrible experience. We didn't have any of the horror stories other guests have reported -- no bugs, no mice, no filthy sheets, no rude employees. Yes, the hotel seemed a little on the ragged side but it didn't make for an unpleasant trip. For the money and the convenience, it was just right. But then again, we could have just been lucky.

Room Tip: The cottages seemed to be cleaner and more up to date than the one in the main part of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week on our first visit to New Orleans together. We arrived early and the room wasn't ready, which was fine, I just wanted to park the car. They hurried along our room cleaning which was nice. On first glance the hotel was appealing. It is historic and has an old world charm. Our room opened onto a courtyard with a pool and was across the hall from the breakfast room. These turned out to be major downfalls. The staff woke us up at 6 am every day banging cabinets. A few time we were awakened in the middle of the night by staff as well as guests speaking loudly both in the lobby and in the courtyard. I would understand if it was Mardi Gras, or even a weekend. It was not. The room itself had a few problems too. The carpet needed replacing. It was bunched up in places and damp all the time. The comforters had rips and the sheets had stains. There was no remote control. Our sheets and towels were only changed once and that was upon my request. Evidently that is the hotel's policy, but I didn't know that until I checked out. I understand saving energy, but we were there a week and they didn't intend to change our linens or towels once. The breakfast was bad. It consisted of coffee, bagels, donuts and cereal plus a few packets of oatmeal. The donuts and coffee were the only things I tried more than once. One of the reasons we picked this hotel was the free breakfast, but we ended up eating out half the time. Some of the staff was friendly, some were surly. The best perk was that we never had trouble parking. While this hotel is near the border of the French Quarter we had no trouble walking most everywhere we wanted to go.
If I were to visit New Orleans again, I would not stay here.

Room Tip: I don't know how the carriage buildings are, but they have to be better than the main building!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've been a returning guest at the St. Pierre for many years, and have seen the property go from bad, to good, now back to bad.
I've cut the hotel a break for it's failings of mis-matched furniture, small TVs, and all of the other negative things that people have had to say. For me, it was close to where I wanted to be, safe and (reletively) clean since many of the rooms had been remodeled.
But they aren't re-investing in the hotel. The renovated rooms are returning to the mildew smelling, dirty carpet, A/C dripping mess that they used to be. It's a shame. Had they continued to maintain the property, rather than fix it up and let it become run down again, I'd continue to be a guest. But after the last stay and I have to move the bed to keep the A/C from dripping on me while I slept, and seeing that the room has never been deep cleaned... and then coming home with that cough you get from mildew.... well.... that's it for me. For the cost I can do better.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room in advance. Beware of mildew
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Coachella, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My friend and I made a great choice staying at this hotel. They helped with the luggage, staff was available when we needed them. Our room was big and clean. Located in a great spot close to everything. Only complaint is some of the housekeepers were not friendly at all. Other than that we enjoyed our stay and the front office staff are fantastic!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I made the mistake of reading the reviews the night before we left for a weekend trip to New Orleans. Our room was booked by the company I work for, so I didn't really have a choice. However, I was pleasantly surprised when we checked in. The hotel is definitely old -- the building we stayed in had a historic marker on it and was built before 1777. It was clean. All the staff were very helpful and polite. The breakfast was okay, not great. The location was great for walking anywhere in the French Quarter. My only complaint was that our room was right on the sidewalk -- room 101. Late night partiers were going by our window all night long both nights. We didn't get much sleep. I understood from others in different parts of the hotel that some rooms were quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room or one facing the courtyard rather than the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

They led us to believe they were in the heart of the French quarter but they were on the outskirts. Because of their location on rental practices, we did not feel safe there at all. As we paid in advance for 2 nights and begged the manager to let us pay him only for the first night (which we did not stay) and he could rent it the second night as rooms were scare. He not only refused, he was rude. So we took all out things and left anyway.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Pierre? Share your experiences!