“Cleanliness Poor, Service Hit and Miss” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. Pierre

You added Hotel St. Pierre to your Saves list
Hotel St. Pierre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   911 Burgundy Street, French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #85 of 156 Hotels in New Orleans
Orlando, Florida
“Cleanliness Poor, Service Hit and Miss”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week on our first visit to New Orleans together. We arrived early and the room wasn't ready, which was fine, I just wanted to park the car. They hurried along our room cleaning which was nice. On first glance the hotel was appealing. It is historic and has an old world charm. Our room opened onto a courtyard with a pool and was across the hall from the breakfast room. These turned out to be major downfalls. The staff woke us up at 6 am every day banging cabinets. A few time we were awakened in the middle of the night by staff as well as guests speaking loudly both in the lobby and in the courtyard. I would understand if it was Mardi Gras, or even a weekend. It was not. The room itself had a few problems too. The carpet needed replacing. It was bunched up in places and damp all the time. The comforters had rips and the sheets had stains. There was no remote control. Our sheets and towels were only changed once and that was upon my request. Evidently that is the hotel's policy, but I didn't know that until I checked out. I understand saving energy, but we were there a week and they didn't intend to change our linens or towels once. The breakfast was bad. It consisted of coffee, bagels, donuts and cereal plus a few packets of oatmeal. The donuts and coffee were the only things I tried more than once. One of the reasons we picked this hotel was the free breakfast, but we ended up eating out half the time. Some of the staff was friendly, some were surly. The best perk was that we never had trouble parking. While this hotel is near the border of the French Quarter we had no trouble walking most everywhere we wanted to go.
If I were to visit New Orleans again, I would not stay here.

Room Tip: I don't know how the carriage buildings are, but they have to be better than the main building!

Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've been a returning guest at the St. Pierre for many years, and have seen the property go from bad, to good, now back to bad.
I've cut the hotel a break for it's failings of mis-matched furniture, small TVs, and all of the other negative things that people have had to say. For me, it was close to where I wanted to be, safe and (reletively) clean since many of the rooms had been remodeled.
But they aren't re-investing in the hotel. The renovated rooms are returning to the mildew smelling, dirty carpet, A/C dripping mess that they used to be. It's a shame. Had they continued to maintain the property, rather than fix it up and let it become run down again, I'd continue to be a guest. But after the last stay and I have to move the bed to keep the A/C from dripping on me while I slept, and seeing that the room has never been deep cleaned... and then coming home with that cough you get from mildew.... well.... that's it for me. For the cost I can do better.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room in advance. Beware of mildew
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Coachella, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My friend and I made a great choice staying at this hotel. They helped with the luggage, staff was available when we needed them. Our room was big and clean. Located in a great spot close to everything. Only complaint is some of the housekeepers were not friendly at all. Other than that we enjoyed our stay and the front office staff are fantastic!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I made the mistake of reading the reviews the night before we left for a weekend trip to New Orleans. Our room was booked by the company I work for, so I didn't really have a choice. However, I was pleasantly surprised when we checked in. The hotel is definitely old -- the building we stayed in had a historic marker on it and was built before 1777. It was clean. All the staff were very helpful and polite. The breakfast was okay, not great. The location was great for walking anywhere in the French Quarter. My only complaint was that our room was right on the sidewalk -- room 101. Late night partiers were going by our window all night long both nights. We didn't get much sleep. I understood from others in different parts of the hotel that some rooms were quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room or one facing the courtyard rather than the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

They led us to believe they were in the heart of the French quarter but they were on the outskirts. Because of their location on rental practices, we did not feel safe there at all. As we paid in advance for 2 nights and begged the manager to let us pay him only for the first night (which we did not stay) and he could rent it the second night as rooms were scare. He not only refused, he was rude. So we took all out things and left anyway.

2 Thank Webekool2
Maryland Heights, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We arrived on Monday the 15th, and were greeted by very nice staff. We were shown to our room right away, and helped up the stairs with our bags. The room was perfect for what we needed, clean, and updated. We had a great view of the courtyard, the bathroom was larger than expected, and the closet was huge for a hotel of that size!

We were helped out by Anthony, who told us places to go, got us toiletries, and helped us with anything we needed, he truly made us feel welcome! And Stu, the overnight attendant, was just perfect!

Breakfast was awesome, just what you need before going out to the French Quarter and eating all day. Coffee, doughnuts, bagels, cereal, juice, milk, it was great!

The hotel was so cute and quiet, that you would hardly know that it only takes 3 minutes to walk out the door and get to Bourbon Street! We parked our car in their private parking lot on Monday, and never needed to use the car till we left on Friday!

The room was cleaned up everyday, fresh towels put in, and smelled great!

The staff there was truly amazing, they saved us money on tours, and made us feel right at home. We will definitely be back to Hotel St. Pierre whenever we come back to visit New Orleans!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 110, it was upstairs, so I don't know if the people with other reviews had dif...
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I wish I had listened to the many poor reviews this hotel had received. We booked three Jazz Suites at Hotel St. Pierre in the French Quarter for three nights. There were 15 of us staying in the three rooms and this hotel was one of the few I could find that could accommodate all of us for the dates we selected for our trip. We tried to keep an open mind when we arrived because we thought maybe we’d get lucky and the reviews weren’t as bad as they seemed. We were sadly disappointed, it was worse.

The only good thing was Anthony, the young man who attended to us when we arrived and checked in. He was eager to help us get situated into our rooms and get us whatever we needed.

We chose the Jazz Suites because they could sleep up to 6 people. Two queen beds and a pull out sofa in each room as well as a dorm size refrigerator and a microwave. Each room had air-conditioning, but the one in my brother’s room wouldn’t adjust below 72 degrees and it was warm in the evenings. He asked the desk clerk to adjust it and he didn’t know how and could help. In that same room, his son had to turn in the sheets and the blanket to the pull out sofa because they were dirty from the previous guest. We later asked for an extra blanket for our room and we’re pretty sure they gave us the dirty blanket from my brother’s room. The carpets in all three rooms were more like outdoor carpets and very dirty. We couldn’t walk around on the floors without shoes on and ended up throwing our socks away when we got home because they were simply black from the carpet. The walls in all the rooms needed painting, there were exposed pipes and wires and when plugging a phone charger into one of the outlets in our room a screw fell out of the outlet cover. The television in our room was smaller than the 17” laptop we brought. The furniture resembled something you’d find in the apt of some college guys after a long weekend of partying, mismatched and dirty.

All three rooms were on the main street, Burgundy which was under construction. It had been stripped down to the bottom level and was being worked on while we were there. (The street is only three steps down and a sidewalk from the front door to the room) So the smell of fresh tar was always in the air. In the mornings they would spray the sidewalks down and put bleach on them to kill the smell of urine, which was less obvious by the hotel than around the main streets, but there none the less. When they sprayed the front steps to the rooms the water would come under the door and get the carpet in the room wet and the smell of bleach was so strong we’d have to leave the room and go elsewhere until it dissipated.

Our bathroom was for the most part clean and I only saw one small (1/2”) cockroach while there. The toilet had a problem filling and the maintenance guy had to come and replace the rubber seal. The next day it would flush properly and when my boyfriend went to the desk to ask for help he was handed a plunger. When that didn’t fix it he was told they wouldn’t be able to get to it until the next day…seriously. It eventually fixed itself but I don’t think they ever followed up with us.

Our room had a door in the back and it connected to the laundry room where we got to hear the maids doing laundry every morning at the crack of dawn and late into the evening. They even had the dryers set to buzz when they finished…imagine that.

Next to our rooms is a small alley leading to another area where more rooms are located. There is a large cast-iron gate that leads to the alley and it slams when people use it. ..at all hours of the night and it actually shook our room. The curtains to the room are not sufficient to block the street lights and the noise from the cars and people passing by kept us up every night.
There is limited free parking at the hotel, a small off-street parking area. We arrived on a Thursday and were able to get all three of our vehicles parked. We made a mistake and took our cars out on Saturday and never got back in. My boyfriend drove around for 30 minutes trying to find someplace to park, but everything is metered or blocked off because of the construction. He ended up parking a few blocks away, but we had to keep going out to put change in the meter. We got into an argument with the person who “watched” the parking lot because there were some cars that were parked crooked and it was taking up two extra spaces but he wouldn’t do anything about it. That is why we argued with him because he had asked us to move our car the day before to make room for someone. We are pretty sure he was renting out the parking spaces to get a little cash on the side.

Breakfast was minimal, donuts, bagels and biscuits, but not every morning. The first morning had all three, but the next day only sugar donuts. We found the bagels on the top of the refrigerator and some biscuits over on a counter by the microwave, so we helped ourselves because there wasn’t any one there monitoring the breakfast area. Later the attendant came in and gave us a dirty look for opening the biscuits. No fruit, or hot foods, or even bread for toast. If you’re looking for anything remotely healthy, this is not the place for you.

There are a couple bars about a block from the hotel, but we quickly found out the hotel is in the middle of the Gay part of the Quarter, and even though it didn’t matter to most of us, the guys in our group felt a little uncomfortable about hanging out in a men’s gay bar. There is a great Po-Boy place a couple blocks away, excellent sandwiches, place is called Nola Po Boys.

I cannot say enough that this hotel is by far the worst place I’ve ever stayed in and I’ve travelled all over the world and stayed in many levels and types of hotels. These rooms are way over priced for what you get in return. Don’t be fooled into thinking that just because it’s in the French Quarter they can charge you more for your room. Look elsewhere and plan in advance, this place is a roach motel.

I will add in closing that we did not see any other rooms so there may in fact be nicer rooms, but the three we stayed in were dumps. That does not excuse the rest of the property or the lack of cleanliness.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere, no redeeming qualities in the three jazz suites we stayed in which were called the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family