“Diner, Drive In & Dives” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Staten Island, New York
“Diner, Drive In & Dives”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

After seeing it featured on the TV show, we just had to try it. Well, the food was really great. It's a converted home and the back yard is small, but even tho' the ambiance is lacking, the food is really good.

Bayonne, New Jersey
“Worth the long walk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I picked this restaurant because of the reviews on Tripadvisor. It did not disappoint. The restaurant was busy, charming and the food was just the right size. The bbq is very reasonably priced. I ate easily for $15 including an alcoholic beverage called rum punch. The drink was strong and kinda kicked my butt a bit. I would highly recommend it.

You have to order and pay at the bar. The dessert is mediocre. Stick with the brisket and mac n' cheese and you will walk away a happy camper.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Detroit, Michigan
“Yes and Yes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This is by far the best BBQ I've had in the United States and I've gone to some of the best joints in Tennessee, North Carolina, and Texas. I'd all rate those sub par to what I ate in NOLA. BBQ Pork, Brisket, Ribs, Chicken you name it I've tried it. Now I didn't get to try them all here, but I did visit twice in a four day stay trying the brisket and pork along with the mac n cheese and coleslaw. I'd rate both top notch, but if you only have the stomach for one go with the pulled pork and get the slaw on top! The slaw is a vinegar based and has red onions which I think adds a nice twist. I mixed all three sauces, two seemed to be vinegar based and one a tomato, but be careful, one of the sauces has some spice (pineapple habanero).

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Eastern NC
“Good, but not swept away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I do a lot of smoking at home and have eaten in some fine BBQ restaurants (Memphis, KC, Texas) so I was really looking forward to trying The Joint. It's kind of a cool, laid-back place that's maybe 4 or 5 miles from the French Quarter. You go up to a counter and order, then they bring you your food after a reasonable wait.

We liked the pulled pork (very good) and brisket (good) best but felt that the ribs were a little over-smoked and dry. Probably our biggest complaint was the choice of sauces, limited and mostly lackluster. (We prefer the tomato-based, sweeter style sauces like Memphis and KC).

Your tastes may vary and we may have hit an "off night" but we just didn't have that "wow" type experience we were hoping for.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Marina del Rey/Venice, CA
“Abosolute must!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I had no clue about this place and I was actually just thirsty and just wanted a Lemonade, walked in the door and I was not going to leave without trying and their BBQ and it was awesome (so was their smoker)! A must if you are in New Orleans!

• 5 of 5 stars Food