“So promising but not a hit” 3 of 5 stars
Review of morton's steak house

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
morton's steak house
365 Canal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (French Quarter)
+1 504-566-0221
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #655 of 1,672 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: French Quarter
New Orleans
“So promising but not a hit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

What a great looking place! The swanky decor, the cool jazz piped in, the lovely, friendly staff; a definte 'happening' vibe upon entering. Ah, and the aromas wafting from the open grill window! We were prompty seated for our 7:30 reservation Sat night and had all high hopes of a great meal. The biggest issue is service. First, we waited for our waitress; who showed up with only a wine list and a cocktail menu. After she brought our drinks, ahe asked us if we planned to enjoy cocktails for a while. We said, ' no we are starving! Please bring the menus!' For which we waited yet again. Now, our wAitress was friendly and appeared to be busy but, they desperately need more help. I never saw a bus boy in the place. She was prompt to bring more cocktails (when we asked;) but we waited forever for water and it seemed forever for the food. All could have been redeemed had the food been spectacular - but it wasn't. Everyone's meal was room temperture, at best. My filet had been cooked medium instead of medium rare but I was too famished to complain. The creamed spinach had a very odd ingrediant in it. No one could eat it. The best appetizer we had was the Ahi Tuna Tower. The four of us will take our $700 to Ruth's next
Time

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Not really so fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

What a treat to be invited to dinner at Morton's Steak House in New Orleans. Expectations of a fine steak dinner with all the sides made me anxious all day. Disappointment was the result of our evening.
Appetizers were fairly good.. Scallops with a wonderful horseradish sauce and crab cakes. Salads were also very nice. Then came our entrees and things went downhill quickly. My Rib Eye, the king of steaks, the most marbled of steaks, was as tough as a piece of Western Sizzlin' meat. The three rib eye's at our table were all the same, looked like sirloin strips but a bit tougher. We commented to the server that these were not Ribeyes, but we were told that we were all mistaken. Two of our diners had a nice salmon dish, one enjoyed her filet mignon, and one really liked the chicken. The spinach side dish had so much nutmeg that it was bitter. Green beans were ok. Desserts were rich but tasty.
In summary, the best dishes we had were not beef dishes (at a steak house). The prices are just too high for the quality they are serving. If you want a really good steak dinner.... Try Ruth's.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Meh...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I wouldn't go back simply because the food did not match the price. I was unimpressed with the food. Honestly I've had better steaks from Ruth's Chris, and they were more moderately priced. The prices here are ABSURD!My steak was cold... Not interested in going back, and the service was average.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bloomington, Illinois
“One visit great / One visit horrible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I feel compelled to give an average rating. On Wednesday night we had great food and an excellent waiter, Andrew. The manager, a large framed African-American gentleman, was wonderful and very genuine when visiting our table. Andrew received a 30% tip. The next night ( Thursday ) we visited and had Julio. Andrew was off as we had him make the reservation the night prior. Could not have been worse service. Slow, in attentive, lazy and unorganized. We observed many other tables getting the same treatment. Upon receiving the bill I promptly marked "n/a" on the tip line and took the bill to the manager on duty. I explained all the issues. He apologized but seemed not genuine. I promptly left.

As a Morton's regular in Chicago I will say this location did not live up to the consistent service quality.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New york
“Popular with locals”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Very popular casual place, you get a menu and then line up to place and pay for your order, you are given a receipt and find a seat, there is a big room in the back. A waiter then delivers your meal. The food was very good, especially the gumbo

Visited April 2013