“Nice quaint hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Royal

You added Hotel Royal to your Saves list
Hotel Royal
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1006 Royal St., New Orleans, LA 70116 (Formerly Rue Royal Inn)   |
Ranked #86 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice quaint hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed here for two days on vacation. It was very nice. Right in the heart of the French quarter and you could walk to alot places if you aren't lazy. Our room was newly renovated so it was lovely. Nice and clean and just the perfect size for two. We would definitely stay here again. The staff was very helpful and knowledgeable of the area. Eric was especially helpful the whole trip for us. He's a great asset to the staff! We'll be back soon!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
LIverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

Me and husband stayed here for 3 nights during our trip to New Orleans. The hotel is situated in a fantastic location smack bang in the middle of the French Quarter. The room although definitely the smallest I've ever stayed in was cleaned daily and the bed was soo comfortable.
As others have said there are no lifts in this hotel so expect a walk up quite a few steep steps if your room. The staff were very friendly, approachable and helpful, nothing seemed too much trouble.
Would happily stay again :)

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I had extensively reviewed this hotel prior to my booking, so I was not surprised by anything. First let me review my perception of the good things. The best thing about this hotel? Definitely LOCATION!! I absolutely loved its close proximity to the french market, bourbon st, the LaLaurie house, the riverfront street car, and the art galleries/shops on royal st. I absolutely loved that I could hear the beautiful St. Louis cathedral bells in the mornings and the song of the riverboat Nachez in the evening. During my stay, the staff was EXCEPTIONAL!! We stayed in two seperate rooms as we had difficulty with the air conditioning in the first one. The staff was exceptional with helping us change rooms. There's no elevator, and our second room was on the fourth floor. The staff was courteous and professional and carried all of our things up, even our cooler. (I knew beforehand there was no fridge so we took a cooler.) Saying our room was on the fourth floor is a misrepresentation, really, as there are multiple levels of stairs...many more than just going up four floors in a conventional building. The room upgrade was wonderful. Our room was much more spacious than the first and with a wonderful view of the rooftops of the french quarter. The antiquated hard wood floors and brick walls were beautiful. The staff was wonderful during this move. The staff was also wonderful with parking suggestions. (I also knew this was an issue before I booked so I was not surprised.) They suggested we park along the river front in public parking, and walk up to the hotel, which was about three blocks. They helped us unload our luggage and had it waiting for us in our room when we returned from parking our car. The shower was a very pretty marble. The continental breakfast was muffins, juice and cereal, which suited me just fine. One morning we ate at the wonderful coffee shop just caddy corner from the hotel. There is also a corner grocery store 2 blocks up if you want to buy yourself some sodas/snacks/alcohol/toiletries/etc. Now to discuss the negative aspects of my stay. I knew from researching the hotel that my first room would be very small and I was ok with that. However, there was no place for our luggage or clothes. There was a tiny closet that was crammed tight with an ironing board. I used the ironing board as a luggage rack as I had no other place to put things. The room was just big enough for a bed and two tiny side tables that were actually built into the wall. As i said, I would've been fine with this if I had had a luggage rack. Perhaps they can switch out the outdated ironing boards with luggage racks? The rooms are very noisy. You can easily hear people in adjoining rooms and in the halls as if your are in the same room. I was aware of this, too, and had brought ear plugs, but didn't need them once we moved to the second room. When we realized our air conditioning was not working, the staff expand to us that the unit was tied into another room and the the thermostat was actually being controlled by us and whomever was in the other room. Our room was very warm and they offered no solution except to say they couldn't do anything about it. I had to ask to be moved to another room. Once asked, they were very courteous and agreeable. I felt like I should not have had to ask. It probably should have been offered. Lastly, although I knew how much I had paid per night prior to my stay, and had researched extensively, I still feel I greatly overpaid. For the price, I agree with other reviewers that microwaves and refrigerators should be standard items in each room...and luggage racks!!
Overall, based on location alone, I would be likely to stay here again, but I'm not really all that impressed with what I got vs what I paid, even with the beautiful upgrade.....all in all, it was just ok.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I loved my first stay here and would go back in a second!

Staff is super helpful and friendly

A continental breakfast is provided at no extra cost.

Room was nice, clean, comfortable and safe.

Location is awesome for anyone wanting to see/visit New Orleans and/or French quarter

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We booked this hotel in late Feb. 2015. Three rooms, as my two sons and their wifes came on the trip. My travel agent booked it for us, because I couldn't locate a hotel in the French quarter. She reserved a more expensive room on the bottom floor (no elevator) for my me and my wife. We booked cheaper rooms on the on the upper floors for the others. When we arrived the more expensive room was on the 2nd floor, up a horrible staircase, so we took room 18 on the ground floor. We found a very small room with peeling paint, no television, no internet and no heat. We were transferred to a another ground floor the next night to room that was better and everything worked but the internet. My family's rooms were ok, but the stairs were still dangerous. The staff was ok and the location was fine. For some reason they charge a $150.00 deposit per room even though we used a credit card. It has been about a month and I still can't get my deposit returned. I have called the hotel 4 times and they say that the deposit will be returned. As of this date it has not. I can't recommend this hotel, the rooms were not cheap and the deposit smells like fraud.

Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Elizabeth, WV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2015

The staff was friendly and accommodating and the location is central to many attractions. Our room was nice, seemed clean, but small with little counter space. We did have an in-room mini-fridge we weren't expecting, however. Our co-travelers were not satisfied with their room at all and actually spotted a roach. I'm used to staying in older, authentic buildings. There was a very dangerous broken handrail on the second floor that took them a couple of days to fix after reported. I believe if I had it to do over, I would spend a little more to stay where there were more amenities and space.

Room Tip: I would expect the rooms facing the courtyard would be quieter than ones facing the street.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Cranage, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2015

Unique, quirky little place set around an inner courtyard. We were right at the top of the building in the attic space up about 5 flights of stairs (no lift) so grateful for the bellboy. Room was large and airy with a tiny wardrobe space and unfortunately no view. Parking just around the corner in the inside of a derelict building - but it worked out OK.
Really close to everything in the French Quarter. Breakfast available in a cupboard to the left of reception was poor...but, there is a great little coffee house across the way on the corner - the Community Coffee House. All in all, for the money, an OK place but I wouldn't rush back.

Room Tip: Let them know if you can't climb stairs!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Royal? Share your experiences!