“Bijou at best” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Royal

Save Saved
You added Hotel Royal to your Saves list
Hotel Royal
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1006 Royal St., New Orleans, LA 70116 (Formerly Rue Royal Inn)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #64 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“Bijou at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Hey the hotel is beautiful and recently renovated, but the rooms are minuscule, some even without windows, Our room was so small we had to stand our luggage in the hall for the whole three days we were there, imagine having to get your luggage out when ever out whenever you wanted something from a bag, there was nowhere to put anything. The hotel also has no lift, so in a building of this age where there is so many levels, I hope you love stairs and lots of them. Having said this the staff were great and will still managed to enjoy the experience. (P.S. they will tell you that a standard bed is a Queen size, don't believe them.)

Room Tip: Upgrade to a better room but be prepare to climb stairs
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Beautiful old hotel recently renovated. The hotel is situated parallell to Bourbon street and on the quiet side. Nice and clean rooms, meager breakfast. A lot of stairs if you are accommodated on the third floor. Good prices. There is a parking lot on the back of the hotel which you can use in exchange for a daily rate. It is however quite hard to find as it is located close to a irish pub. It could be worth a while to try to find other parking, but according to my experience there are few close by.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Good price for the location. You can be anywhere in a matter of minutes. Just remember, you get what you pay for. Lite on amenities and parking. The staff is great. Deluxe rooms are small but quaint. Will most likely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We had an amazing trip to New Orleans May 11th-15th, and Hotel Royal definitely met almost all of our expectations! It is a very cool building with a nice courtyard in the back. We booked a Royal Balcony Suite and the room was very nice and very spacious! We enjoyed the minimal decor and the marble bathroom (although we agree with those who stated that a shelf or two would be nice to put your things on). We were very impressed at how well preserved the building was! One of my favorite parts of the trip was beginning and ending each day on our shared balcony. The location is absolutely perfect, situated on a very quiet stretch of Royal St.! The air conditioning ran very cool in almost 90 degree heat, and it was very quiet. I am a light sleeper, and was woken up each day by other's doors shutting and the occasional street sweeper, but that's to be expected in such an old, historic building. As many others have stated, the staff was amazing and VERY helpful! The breakfast is in a little alcove off of the lobby and was adequate with pastries, coffee, tea, and orange juice.

My only critiques are very minor. Being that we booked the most expensive room option, it would have been nice to have a little refrigerator tucked away somewhere, as well as an in-room coffee/tea option. There were a few other minor, picky details that could be improved on (too minor to mention) that would make the stay a little more satisfying, but I still would not hesitate to stay here again! We had a wonderful time and definitely fell in love with New Orleans!

Divide, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Location is great!!!! Staff is super friendly and very helpful. The building is old and all so beautiful with history to boot. However the stairs were a killer for my elder aunt with bad knees who stayed with me my first night in town. The breakfast/Croissant were good and of course you can't beat that New Orleans Chicory coffee. Parking is minimum, first come first serve. I'm originally from NO but now reside in Colorado which is where my husband is from. This trip home was both business and pleasure. Who comes to the Fabulous French Quarters and not go out to play LOL?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Geneva, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

We were there for 2 nights (5/16-5/18) in a Royal Balcony Suite. The staff we dealt with (Devin and Eric) were extremely helpful during check-in. The unit (#7) was huge and overlooked Royal St. It was clean and although the water pressure was a little low, it was still a fantastic unit. The location was a short walk away from Bourbon and Jackson Square, yet far enough away from all of the noise. I have to admit, outside the unit it was still a little loud for my taste, but I knew that there would be trade-offs if I wanted a balcony unit in the French Quarter. We will be staying here during our next visit to New Orleans. Just do yourself a favor and treat yourself to the Royal Balcony Suite. After seeing a few of the petite rooms, you won't regret your decision.

Room Tip: Splurge to get a large Royal Balcony Suite.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

I was a bit apprehensive at first when I booked the hotel as I couldn't really make out what it would be like in real life from the pictures online.

However, I was very pleasantly surprised once I got there. It was a small but very elegant hotel, I would say. They certainly did a really great job refurbishing the old building. The place had a modern but at the same time very warm aura about it.

We booked the smallest room they had "Petite Room" and I was expecting a tiny little mouse hole a la New York. However, the room was a very decent size with a full size bathroom with bathtub. Our room was on the top floor which was a bit of a challenge to get to. Anyone with mobility issues may find it difficult to navigate the narrow staircase up to the room. There are no lifts. Personally, I found the staircase very charming and sort of homely. Reminded me of the staircase in my parents home.

The room was advertised as having "one full bed" while the bigger rooms mentioned queen and king size beds. Again, I was expecting spacial challenges in the sleeping department but was surprised again to find that the bed was a perfectly normal size for two adults.

The staff were extremely welcoming and friendly. They grabbed every opportunity to start up a conversation and give you tips on what to do and see that day.

Locationwise, the hotel was perfect. It is close enough to all the hustle and bustle to party but far away enough to get a good night's sleep.

On a little site note, rates include breakfast. However, there is no breakfast room as such. Breakfast consists of muffins, fruits and the like and is available in the hallway adjacent to the reception. To eat it you'd be sitting on the sofas in the reception area or taking it back up to your room. To be fair, we didn't realise this until the day we left when we got up at 4.30am. New Orleans has a lot of great places to offer for breakfast but the hotel breakfast offering is good for some morning coffee and OJ before you head out.

All in all, I'd thoroughly recommend the Royal. Great rooms, great price, great staff, great location. The full package.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Royal? Share your experiences!