“Quality B&B in great location” 5 of 5 stars

Maison Perrier
4117 Perrier, New Orleans, LA 70115   |
Ranked #9 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Quality B&B in great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Because of travelling alone I had already decided on the lowest cost room but on arrival Tom
showed me an alternative higher rated room and said that as they had a temporary lull I could have an upgrade free of charge.This was a most welcome gesture and got us off to a great start.
He was also pretty knowledgeable about the local music scene and spent time going through the local "what's on" magazine [ gambit? ] highlighting acts that were worth catching and explaining how to get to each venue.As other people have said this B&B is very well situated between both the St Charles Street Car and the bus on Magazine.

Patricia offered a cooked to order delicious breakfast each morning and there was always an
excellent dish of fresh fruits to enhance the meal. On one occasion after a late night gig and surfacing a bit later than intended I only made breakfast due to Patricia allowing me to dine
somewhat informally ...in my dressing gown ..hows that for a home from home attitude !!!

Altogether a delightful stay - thoroughly recommended

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Baton Rouge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Just stayed in the Irene with my 12 year old and 2 year old. We were extremely comfortable and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The service from Tom, Patricia and staff were 5 star. Spacious, exceedingly clean, yummy food, and generous extras will definitely bring us back.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Deerfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I had to be in the New Orleans area for a few days and decided to stay at Maison Perrier because of the positive reviews I had read. When I called to make my reservation, Tom told me that he and his wife were going to be out of town during my stay. He assured me that Ralph would greet me for my late night arrival and show me around. Ralph was available for my late arrival from the airport and gave me a wonderful orientation. My room was beautifully furnished and equipped with everything I needed. I felt very welcomed and comfortable, and enjoyed the beverages and snacks that first evening. The next morning I had a wonderful, hot breakfast and enjoyed the comfortable dining area with a few of the other guests. Ralph was always available to answer questions and suggested dining options and music venues in the area. I was only a few blocks from Magazine street and enjoyed the shops and restaurants before meeting other family. I forgot to return the umbrella that Ralph had lent me, and stopped back to return it the next day. I was greeted as an old friend by Ralph and the other staff. When I come back to New Orleans, I plan on returning to Maison Perrier.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I really can't agree with the poster who gave it 3 stars and I too have stayed "in several dozen" although mostly in Europe. I give Maison Perrier 5 stars; it was perfect for my first visit to New Orleans and I got exactly what I expected and was very pleased.

When I first contacted Tom, he emailed me pictures of all the suites so I could choose which one I wanted...we even talked about which room would be best as far as noise (I'm a light sleeper), etc. He also set up an airport pickup for us and was there to check us in despite our flight arriving late. He provided great advice and tips on the city, jogging routes and places to eat, and let us leave our bags and change clothes since our departing flight didn't leave until late afternoon, which we very much appreciated.

The B&B is located 2 blocks off St Charles, right at a street car stop. The street car line is under construction, so that was a little painful going to/from the Quarter but 4 blocks from Maison Perrier is Magazine Street and again, the bus stop is right there. The B&B is beautifully decorated with period furnishings and wooden floors. Towels were very soft and plentiful, sheets were incredibly soft, and the amenities were very nice.

The Jasmine is pretty room with a balcony on the street. Perrier Street is quite...I did not hear any street noise, although the birds are sort of chirpy. The bed in the Jasmine is very high and if you're under 5"2 you'll probably need the step they provide. Room was very cozy and the a/c works great. Bathroom was nice, although ask Tom how to flush the toilet, I'd never seen one where you push the button on the side.

Wine and cheese at 5:30 on weekends is great...we ate so much (cheeses, crackers, brownies, nuts, hummus) that we ate lightly while listening to jazz on Frenchman Street that night. Breakfast is served starting about 7:30....the cold stuff (fresh fruit, cereal, bagels, juice, yogurt) and then the hot stuff at 8:30-9:30. Creole eggs, cheese grits and biscuits on Saturday and almond croissant french toast (yep, just like it sounds, it was YUMMY) and bacon on Sunday. I appreciated the option to eat early if I wanted, some B&Bs are inflexible about breakfast time. Assortment of teas and hot coffee ready at 6:30, and 4 different newspapers to read.

The lounge is open 24/7, with an honor bar for wine, water, beer on tap, and brownies, cookies, cake there for you to snack on. I probably ate my body weight in cookies over the weekend. Board games, books to borrow, maps and brochures for your information.

The sidewalks are indeed treacherous and when jogging, I ran down the middle of the street, but as this is a residential area, it was no problem. People run on the St Charles street car tracks but it was muddy the morning I tried that. The area is very nice, not sure what the previous guy was complaining about....the huge mansions of the Garden District are about a mile to the right on the map but none of them are B&Bs. This area was perfect, and Tom and Patricia were perfect hosts. Can't recommend Maison Perrier enough.

Room Tip: Talk to Tom about which room, he'll help you pick one that is quiet or darker or doesn't inv...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My wife and I have been staying at B&Bs since the mid-1980s across the eastern US and western Europe. This is one of the better ones for sure despite the mere 3-star review by one former guest, a review that doesn't withstand our closer look. The young couple who own the B&B were attentive, helpful, and well-spoken conversationalists. We found the B&B spacious, clean, and having every amenity we could want over our Sunday-Wednesday stay in a July heat wave. A variety of complementary drinks, both soft and adult, plus snacks were always available during our stay. Despite a number of other guest rooms occupied during our entire stay we found no difficulty getting off street parking immediately on either side of the main house, regardless of what time we returned, night, day, or late night. We stayed in a sister-house, an equally sized "annex" just a few feet away and separated by a sitting courtyard. Our room was refreshed by the small housekeeping staff every day of our stay. Breakfast was tasty and well presented in the sun filled kitchen each day, to include "banana pancakes foster." I directly booked the room with Tom and did so based on a recommendation we received while staying at the Clifton House in Cincinnati (another good B&B). My wife and I, too, have no hesitation recommending Tom and Patricia's Maison Perrier.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Pine Island, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My wife and I are retirees (she's a travel agent) travel constantly, and we usually stay in B & Bs; we've stayed in several dozen all over North America and on this trip we took in the Ann Bean Mansion in Stillwater, Minnesota, the Garth Mansion in Hannibal, Mo., the Oak Hill in Natchez and the Maison Perrier in New Orleans. All, except for the Maison Perrier, were superb. The MP, at $378 for two nights in the Dolly room, did not come close to the others in terms of quality, charm, amenities, food or the B & B experience even though it cost more; in fact, it may well be the worst B & B value we've experienced in at least several years. Here's why:
While the building facade looks nice, it is merely a large boarding-house type facility jammed among many others located on Perrier Street, a narrow and noisy street in Uptown which, unlike the Garden District, is largely populated by students from nearby Tulane and Loyola. My notes reflect that on both days of our 2-day stay there was a ton of street noise at night and we were wakened by doors slamming (5 a.m.) and garbage trucks (6 a.m.). The building is basically just a noisy big old house and gives off a distinctly frat-house atmosphere. The "deck" off our room, for which they charge extra, overlooked a dumpster across the street; the entire house is either a poor renovation or in need of a good one, and I noted peeling paint, robes by Nautica, towels by JC Penney, cheap Pier One furniture and the lack of wi-fi (couldn't connect, their guy couldn't identify the network), soft drinks or wine (the former not available, the latter only on weekends) as among other disappointments. Breakfast is served on an array of tables in the kitchen or adjoining it and was on Day 1 cheese grits, creole scrambled eggs and a biscuit, all tasty but quite ordinary. On Day 2 it was a meager two pancakes and two strips of bacon prepared by the owner's wife Pat who didn't know who we were, when we had arrived (the day prior) or when we were leaving (as soon as possible). We never did meet "Tom" and left without a goodbye, only to find my car mirror had been tampered with on the street. And oh, yes, Tom, you still owe us a bottle of wine due to the discrepancy in your prices versus those on your webpage. Keep it.
At this point we are at a loss to reconcile our experience with the mostly favorable reviews this place receives except to state that the reviews we read, just like the pictures of our room, are better--a LOT better--than the real thing. Perhaps it's summer or perhaps the owners have become complacent, but we were poorly served and they need a wakeup call. We will not be back. Readers are better off looking in the Garden District several blocks east.

Room Tip: On the plus side, the Dolly room has a large bath. Overall, rooms to the rear just have to be quiete...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Maison Perrier, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Goodness gracious. It is hard to know where to start here, but let me first state that we are truly sorry that this guest had some bad experiences during their stay. I must also say that they have claimed a number of things that simply are not accurate-- as all previous reviews of our inn and the Dolly room in particular will attest to over the eight years of our ownership-- and we just feel that it is our responsibility to attempt to set the record straight. I called to speak with this gentleman in person, and despite being civil, objective, conciliatory for the things we felt we could have done better, and expressing our desire to right the perceived wrongs, I was ultimately hung-up on. Patricia and I have realized, as all innkeepers must, that although they are few and far between, you are at times going to have guests whom you simply cannot please.

We may politely express our position, the facts, and our disappointment until the cows come home, and we may communicate our desire to "make things right," but if the person that you are speaking with has no desire to see things from an alternative perspective, and prefers to operate from a position of dispassionate implacability, there is no use in having a conversation with them.

We will definitely take any valid criticisms that this guest has made under advisement, but we feel very strongly that the majority of his comments do not fall into that category. We hate that we are forced to respond in this manner, as we absolutely do not wish to offend this guest by pointing out the inaccuracies in their review, but we must do what we must do in defense of our livelihood and the business that we work so very hard on every single day to build. We hope that the time and energy we have devoted to this response serves to illustrate to anyone still reading that we take this matter very seriously, and that it serves to properly convey how aggrieved we feel as a result of these comments--

We are not, nor ever have been a "boarding house." We are the only commercial property on our block, and there are no "boarding houses" in the neighborhood (single-family homes, one apartment building, and four private condos next door in a New Orleans double that is a sister building to Maison Perrier). Most students live nearer to the universities, not in the Uptown/Upper Garden District area. There are noise ordinances in place to protect our guests from outside noise after 10:00 PM. We cannot think where they would have heard noise, but had they called us (or Ralph), we would certainly have put a stop to it.

Perrier Street is not noisy. It is a narrow street and by comparison to larger thoroughfares, it is a seldom-used road. There is a stop sign on either end of the block, which insures that drivers will never gain speeds above twenty miles per hour. If one were to compare the street noise of Perrier to that of a French Quarter street, St Charles Avenue, Magazine street, etc., I feel quite safe in asserting that not one person would describe our street as "noisy."

Bed and breakfasts are most often older homes, and if an inconsiderate guest down the hall were to slam their door, it is going to be heard by some guests in 99% of these establishments. If you want a self-closing steel door, and an impersonal hotel atmosphere, a Holiday Inn is an excellent choice. We regret that this guest was disturbed, and assure readers that this occurrence is definitely the exception, rather than the rule. We are further perplexed by the report of noise, as there were no other guests on the first or second floors of the inn on the first night of their stay, and only two occupied rooms on the second floor on the second night, but in an entirely different hallway. Friendly ghosts perhaps? It will just have to remain a mystery.

Regarding trash pick-ups on Tuesday mornings, this will be one of those things in New Orleans that will take place at all inns and b&bs without exception. We wish that we had more power to determine garbage truck routes and times, but we obviously do not. Thankfully, the garbage trucks come and go in less than a minute or two

The "frat house" atmosphere comment is so absurd that we shall not dignify it with a greater response.

There is no dumpster in front of Maison Perrier. It is simply not the case. Our neighbor has had a "Pod" storage container in his driveway while he gut-rehabbed his house. Again, we regret that the guest found this container so grotesque, but we feel that the description is simply a mischaracterization.

The inn was gut-rehabbed in 1997, and no expense was spared. We are on the National Register of Historic Places, and I must assert that their standards might be higher than that of a common layperson. If "peeling paint" on some windows is an indication that the building is need of a renovation, then 100% percent of New Orleans buildings are in the same boat. A New Orleans contractor acquaintance once told me that "by virtue of our climate and elevation so close, if not below sea-level, all buildings in New Orleans, no matter how old or new, are in a constant state of decay." It is a race to keep up with, but I whole-heartedly assert that we are vigilant to attend to matters as they arise. Anyone who has lived in a house that is greater than 100 years old will undoubtedly sympathize, but few understand the climate/elevation issues without living in our city for an extended period.

Several rooms may have Nautica robes-- which, I might add are of a higher quality than many of the robes we have purchased in the past from hotel suppliers-- but we have never purchased towels from JC Penney. Meaning no offense to Penney's, they may sell nice towels, but we have no idea what brands they would even carry. Patricia procures our towels from Bed, Bath & Beyond, and as other reviews will substantiate, they are of the highest quality. We purchase new bed linen and towels constantly, and our housekeepers would never allow a towel or sheet that does not meet our high standards to be placed in any of our rooms.

Another assessment from the review that is just not true, is that the room had Pier One furnishings. The Dolly room offers an antique tiger maple desk, a high-backed chair that is also over 130 years old, authentic 18th and 19th century, gold-framed prints, a hand-made, four-posted king bed, a new, top-of-the-line mattress made by Simmons (referred to as the "W" mattress, as they are found in all rooms in the W Hotels), and a reproduction, French Provincial-style armoire and bedside tables.

Maison Perrier offers WiFi access throughout the inn. Instructions on how to access the internet (router name, password), as well as information about or 24-hour, self-service honor bar are given to all guests upon arrival. If a guest ever has any questions, they are encouraged to call us directly if they do not find us in person-- our cell phone numbers are provided on the information sheet, as well as on the business card that we give to all guests.

Patricia and I were away when this guest arrived-- this could not be helped, as we went to visit a friend in Hawaii with a terminal condition. It was important that we be there, and give our five-year-old a chance to spend time with her before she passes. I do not present this as anything but a fact, and simply to preface why the innkeeper Ralph was there to greet these guests in our absence. Ralph may not have given the guest all of the information verbally that they wanted, but he did provide them with the comprehensive information sheet that all guests receive when they arrive. Had this guest taken a moment to review that sheet, they would have understood that sodas, bottled waters, Abita Amber beer on tap, four different types of red wines, and three different whites are available for them to partake of at any hour. Although Ralph probably explained the "honor bar" verbally-- this is always done when guests arrive and are offered a complimentary welcome drink-- he may well have overlooked discussing the wireless system. The information sheet also includes the instructions for using and password for accessing our wireless network. We know that the wireless connection was working at the time because another guest was able to post to our facebook page during her stay over the same dates.

We will let previous descriptions of our breakfasts stand for themselves-- please see other reviews-- but we assure readers that breakfasts are anything but "ordinary." In fact, 90% of the bed and breakfasts in New Orleans do not ever offer a hot breakfast, as they are not required to by the city, and many do not even offer a cold breakfast. Guests are always welcome to ask our amicable cooks (whether it be Michael or Patricia) for seconds of anything.

Patricia did not know these guests because we had been away for seven days, and had returned to New Orleans the previous evening. She would not have met any of the guests, and as she had not been looking at our bookings while we were away, she would not have known the names of any of our guests at that time. The guests never met Tom, because I was watching a cranky five-year-old in our owners' quarters while Patricia served breakfast. In order to make the check-out process more convenient for our guests, it does not require us to be there. In any event, I feel very safe in asserting that saying "goodbye" to this guest would have meant very little to him. I would have said goodbye to him on the phone today, but he preferred to hang up before exchanging a final salutation.

The bottle of wine, as noted in the e-mails that I exchanged with these folks, was there for the taking in the honor bar. It is not clear how they wanted the bottle presented to them, but we would have instructed Ralph to have it in their room had they requested. As for the offer of the wine, the guest was given the accurate rates for the rooms prior to visiting the "view rates" page on our website. The all-inclusive rate that we gave him for Dolly via e-mail ($189) reflected the fact that the room now offers a king bed, whereas it was ten dollars less per night when it had a queen bed. Although this rate change was recent, all of our partner sites had the correct $189 rate. We offered the wine because our website manager had not yet implemented the rate change on the site, even though the guest had received the correct information via our phone conversation and e-mail, we did not want there to be any confusion or ill will. This guest had sent several e-mails attempting to get a lower rate-- one essentially demanding that we honor the old $179 rate-- but we are small business people who have worked very hard every day to get where we are, and we are not going to reduce our rates just because someone insists that we should. I can only guess that this guest was already angry as a result, and that he had perhaps pre-judged the experience he would have. Speculation of course, but we are still having a difficult time understanding why this party was unhappy.

It is clear that this guest had made a value judgment about our rates based upon the rate structures he had encountered in small-town markets like Natchez or Savannah. New Orleans is neither, and as innkeepers in this city we are fully aware of how economical and competitive our rates really are. In other words, we are obviously not going to set our rates based upon the rates at the loveliest b&b in Oxford, Mississippi (no disrespect to Oxford intended). As our rates already include taxes, breakfasts, WiFi, and free parking our $189 rate easily equates to a pre-amenity/tax rate at a standard hotel of $110. It would be very challenging for a potential guest to do better.

We whole-heartedly disagree with this guest’s inexplicable assertion that our website pictures are "a Lot better" than the actual rooms. This statement is at complete odds with what everyone has ever said about our rooms-- that the pictures do not do them justice. Perhaps it was the aim, but it was very hurtful for us to read that statement, as we toil to make all of our rooms appealing and comfortable. We spend thousands of dollars every year at auction to populate the inn with period furnishings and artwork, but not at the expense of comfort, quality, and modern amenities. We pride ourselves on the fact that the inn is not "over-wrought" and ostentatious, yet still speaks of the period and old New Orleans.

Tripadvisor is an excellent forum for discussions about our industry, and can be a great resource for travelers, but it does not have a "fact or fiction" filter, and may sometimes be abused. Although these things have the potential to be very detrimental to our business, we will simply have faith in the intelligence and discerning natures of folks that read this. We trust that you will put more stock in what all of the other reviewers on this site have posted. If you feel inclined, you will also find that we have been favorably reviewed and recommended by the New York Times, Travel & Leisure, Conde Nast, the Financial Times of London, Fodor's, Frommer's, etc.

I wish that I could have done a better job communicating with this person, and that I could have made their experience more enjoyable, but sometimes people get themselves so worked up, that no matter what, they just don't want to hear what you have to say. I have tried to point out things that are just plain wrong in this review, and without going so far as to call this gentleman a liar-- which was not my aim, but is undoubtedly how he shall view it-- but also to communicate that we are honest dealers, we wish to correct our faults, address concerns, and give explanations to our potential customers. We shall continue to serve and provide for our guests to the best of our abilities, and we will take comfort in the fact that the overwhelming majority of those that we have served (even as this guest asserts himself), will convey experiences and opinions that are the absolute opposite of this reviewer's.

Tom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Recently stayed at this gorgeous b&b didn't want to leave comfy cool big room
Tom and Patricia the hosts could write the book on how to run a b&b they do it to
Perfection from the beautiful wine and cheese in the evening to the scrumptious
Brownies and cake left out to nibble not to mention the full lovely breakfast in the
Morning located on a nice quiet street all combines to make a thoroughly enjoyable
Experience.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Maison Perrier? Share your experiences!