“A Great Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of House of the Rising Sun Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
House of the Rising Sun Bed and Breakfast
335 Pelican Ave., Algiers Point, New Orleans, LA 70114 (Algiers Point)   |
Special Offer
Free night's stay
Ranked #3 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“A Great Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

As a Canadian from Calgary coming to New Orleans for the first time in November, I was completely charmed by Historic Algiers Point. I had wanted to step back in time and I could almost believe that I was living back when life was simpler and the pace was slower. Staying at the House of the Rising Sun, was a natural for me because I am a musician. Of course I had to play that song on Wendy and Kevin's piano while I was there! I had brought my guitar with me and they enjoyed listening to my original blues songs. I stayed in the Memphis Minnnie room (and my nickname is Minnie)! I absolutely loved crossing on the ferry every day and the walking was a great opportunity to get in shape. Will look forward to visiting The House of the Rising Sun again in future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
cockney007, Owner at House of the Rising Sun Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Many thanks for the wonderful review! We enjoyed your music and stories. Hope the film works out for you. Looking forward to your next visit!

300 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We've been visiting New Orleans for years but have always stayed in the French Quarter. This time, we wanted to experience the West Bank. After our stay at the House of the Rising Sun, we're ready to move to Algiers. Our hosts, Kevin and Wendy, couldn't have been more charming, and everyone we met in the community went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We walked the streets late at night and felt perfectly safe. Can't wait to come back.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your wonderful review and glad you loved Algiers Point as much as we and all our guests do! Looking forward to your next visit. Algiers Point certainly is the "best kept secret" in New Orleans!!
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We wanted to avoid hotels and so glad we did :-) this place is just like home from home. Kevin and Wendy make it feel just like you're staying with friends, the rooms are beautifully appointed and the day started with a lovely breakfast. The trip on the ferry provides lovely views of New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your wonderful review! Always good to see fellow Brits and to catch up on all the news back home.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had a great stay here. The property is in an ideal spot for access to the heart of New Orleans, yet in a lovely quiet tree lined street. We walked everywhere, each morning accessing downtown New Orleans by ferry across the Misssissipi was a great start to the day. Kevin is a friendly informative flexible host, the house is very relaxing clean and welcoming. The bedroom was very spacious and private.

Room Tip: We had the red room which was great.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for the wonderful review! We always seem to get plenty of Australians stay here. Must be the Commonwealth connection :-)
Eldora, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The room I stayed in was clean and quiet and Kevin was accommodating to my needs. The breakfast was a combination of fresh fruit, yogurt and granola and fresh croissants. The location is wonderful, a quiet neighborhood with quick access via ferry to the heart of New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for the wonderful review and glad you and your family had such a great visit for the wedding! Look forward to seeing your wife as well next time.
Croydon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at this B&B for 3 nights and enjoyed every minute. Kevin is the perfect host and made us feel immediately at home. He provided lovely, healthy breakfasts which were most welcoming and the rooms were very comfortable. Algiers Point is a very pretty and safe neighbourhood - ideal to return to after a hectic day in NOLA. We felt we did not do New Orleans justice while we were there as there is so much to see and do, so I am already plotting a trip for some time next year.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your excellent review! Always good to see Brits and find out what's going on back at home. We look forward to your next visit!
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The House of the Rising Sun is a bed and breakfast that excels in both of its banner purposes. The bedroom was beautifully appointed, comfortable, and a delightful place of respite and rest after busy days associated with pulling off and attending a wedding. The adjoining bathroom to my bedroom was appointed in a matching color scheme and included basic hygienic needs - which means the next time I come, I won't weigh down my bags with soaps, and a hair dryer.
Breakfast was delicious - something that I would naturally have chosen to eat at home - healthy and nourishing: fruit, yoghourt, bread, and cheeses, tea, and fruit juice. The host Kevin was friendly, helpful, a great conversationalist, ready and able to talk, but never overbearing. I stayed at this bed and breakfast at the recommendation of my sister and her husband. In fact they were guests along with myself and my nephew, making it quite a family affair. We talked and laughed together - feeling completely free to do so - enjoying our last moments together as we prepared to fly to our separate destinations. I look forward to when I might be able to stay again.

Room Tip: I had the central room downstairs - so there were people above, and on both sides, but I didn't...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
cockney007, Owner at House of the Rising Sun Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Many thanks for your wonderful review! Glad your first experience at the House of the Rising Sun B&B was so enjoyable!! It was nice to talk about your time in England and family history (a nice, time consuming hobby for retirement :-)). We hope to see you again, along with the rest of your family, in the not too distant future.

Been to House of the Rising Sun Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!