“Good Intentions, But Mixed Results...” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel St. Helene
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   508 Rue Chartres, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #112 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Greenville, South Carolina
“Good Intentions, But Mixed Results...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I travel to New Orleans quite often & usually stay at "chain" hotels. Since New Orleans feels like "home" I wanted to stay in a hotel with a "homey" feel. St. Helene definitely has that - sort of like staying at a relatives home who has good intentions, but not a lot of follow through. It was a relaxed & laid back atmosphere, almost like a B & B but with more privacy. I came to NOLA in late March for the Tennessee Williams festival (& my birthday). When I arrived to my balcony room on the second floor, I was thrilled. As you can see, it's a lovely room with a great view of the courtyard pool. As if on cue, when I stepped out on the balcony, a jazz band performing at a wedding next door started playing - all very charming & very New Orleans. The staff was very pleasant & welcoming. But, upon arrival, I was charged a $150 fee that I assumed was a security deposit. I left my room in pristine condition, but the charge (as far as I can tell) has yet to be refunded (despite phone calls to the hotel). There is a continental breakfast of pre-packaged patries, cereal, yogurt & fruit & coffee is available all day - but why settle for this when Cafe Du Monde is just blocks away. The location was perfect, within sight of Jackson Square. Now for the not-so-great...air conditioner was "iffy" - it never worked properly - luckily a cool front was moving through so I was able to leave the balcony door open at night to cool off. Housekeeping mangled my phone charger with the vacuum & tried to cover it up by leaving a different charger that didn't fit my phone. When pressed, they finally fessed up to what had happened. When I told the front desk, nothing was done (not even a discount of a few $ to cover the charge of a replacement). If you are a very laid back, go with the flow kind of person, this hotel is okay - it IS very charming (just check your bill closely). If you are used to basic hotel amenities found in a 'chain" hotel - this is not the place for you. I enjoyed my stay, but think I will stay elsewhere on my next trip.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

We selected Hotel St. Helene for a four night stay and birthday celebration in NOLA because of location and moderate price range. The small suite was newly renovated with a courtyard terrace, exactly what was requested. After the first night of disrupted sleep, we asked for another room with a better mattress. The second main floor suite also had a cheaply designed, uncomfortable mattress. We stayed the required second night, but moved to a nearby hotel for the last two nights. Comparing the two hotel experiences, St. Helene is overpriced, with squeaky clean, uncomfortable mattresses.

Room Tip: Request a mattress check
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

we stayed in hotel st. helene for 2 nights. to give credit first, the room was ok...acceptable. the bed, however, was the cheapest metal mattress i've had the misfortune to experience since college days...nights. when offered another room, the mattresses was the same - metal frame with only a thin padding on the top, none on the sides. from the creaking, obviously none on the springs. the rate paid did not match the cheap mattress experienced.

what is the number one feature of a hotel? i suggest it is to sleep comfortably. for this reason, hotel st helene failed. shame on a hotel for ignoring such a basic requirement.

Room Tip: don't let them tell you that no one has ever complained about their mattresses - simply not poss...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Belle Chasse, Louisiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in August 2013 for a "staycation", as we are from the New Orleans area. This hotel is a boutique hotel located in the perfect spot to get anywhere quick in the Quarter. Very clean, but the rooms are small. I suggest paying a little extra for the room with the sitting area. That makes a huge difference. The only reason I gave it a "very good" instead of an "excellent" rating is they do not have an elevator. We were on the 3rd floor, which 2 flights of stairs were not bad, but not fun either - especially when I was dressed up and had high heels on. However, a 2nd floor room would be ideal. I'm sure they have an elevator for handicap usage only, but not 100% sure about that. Handicap rooms may be on the 1st floor only. I must say for the price and for the location, you won't get better than this in NOLA. Would stay here again and again, and recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Second floor - don't get third floor, as they don't have elevators, and get the room with th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Vero Beach, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

We loved the location, front desk staff, but the poor housekeeping will cause us not to stay here again.

Our room was not made up during our 3 day stay...UNACCEPTABLE!

We even asked to have our room cleaned...and were told we were next...an hour and a half later nothing had been done.

Stay elsewhere!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

i really like this place. this is my second stay here. first off, i would like to recognize WYATT who gave the very best customer service i have ever had at ANY property!! he made me feel welcome when i arrived, offered to bring my luggage up to the third floor (there is no elevator at this hotel), and he greeted me every single time i saw him at the front desk on my way in and out. i also passed him on the staircase and he asked if everything was ok with my room. way to go Wyatt!! i really appreciate your excellent treatment!! now, the person working at the desk afterwards (2:30 am) did not speak and appeared to be dozing behind the counter when i came in, he looked up, looked at me and looked back down! rude!! the next morning when i checked out, the lady was much to engaged in her phone conversation to put the phone down while she checked my out. again, rude!! such a contrast of service here! the last two employees is why i'm giving this location a 4 instead of a 5. my room was nice and clean. the bed is comfortable and property was quiet at night. best of all, the air conditioner works here! and there is a ceiling fan as well!! this is my favorite place to stay in new orleans. i must try one of the balcony rooms next time!

Room Tip: if you can't climb stairs, request a room on the bottom floor, there is no elevator at this prop...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Slidell, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

THE GOOD:
The front desk employees GREAT!!!- big smiles-truly kind, great staff.
Location, Location, Location - very safe-close to Jackson square, Bourbon St. and lots of great restaurants and bars - all, at walking distance.
Nice patio and pool in rear of hotel. (could use a little more seating)
Bed - very comfortable with lots of pillows.
Air conditioning worked well, plus overhead fan
Very clean room.
THE NOT SO GOOD:
Small room - (room 305) no place to sit, but the bed-no chairs in the room.
No outside view, just a view of the stair well.
Bathroom-a little small, but not bad: however only two towels and no washcloths?
No elevator- a little rough to climb after cocktails.
Breakfast, well it was free- I got some coffee. The cold pastries did not look too appetizing.
No bellman/no luggage racks curb side or in the hotel - haul your own bags- not fun to the 3rd floor.
Overall a nice place to stay but overpriced for the lack of creature comforts.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 3rd floor - No elevator- a little rough to climb after cocktails.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hotel St. Helene? Share your experiences!