“Charming Boutique Hotel!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #112 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Charming Boutique Hotel!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

The atmosphere of this hotel is absolutely charming. However, boutique is the operative word. The rooms are tiny, with big beds and small bathrooms. Luckily on this trip it was just myself in one room, so that was all perfectly fine. The staff were incredibly accommodating, my group and I didn't check in until close to 2 AM due to travel issues and the concierge was very helpful. I was booked in a beautiful suite with a balcony on the first night (it's all about the balcony's in NOLA), however I ended up downgrading because the noise from the street was too much for me. There was also a garbage truck making it's rounds that I could hear screeching for close to an hour. The location, however, is excellent. This hotel is situated in the heart of the French Quarter and Bourbon St. is just a few minute's walk away.

Room Tip: My advice to you: book a room in the middle of the hotel, you won't have a view of any sort, but...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Arrived and hour early, They were happy to allow us to place our bags in our room. The front desk told us that the fresh bath linens had not arrived for the day but they would bring them up upon delivery. Thank you for not asking us to wait! We had some where to be. Yea! Hotel was a recently renovated. Combination of Historic and contemporary! Comfy beds, clean rooms, nice view of the court yard, central to everything. the continental breakfast was nice. Fresh, hot Community coffee!!! Kudos to the parking attendants at the Omni Hotel. We chose to park @ the Omni Hotel ( directly across the street from the Hotel St. Helen.) Also wonderful customer service.
would stay again!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room either facing the street or the court yard. Great views! Enjoy the french quarter e...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Flossiemcgehee!
It was our absolute pleasure to assist with an early check-in. It is our goal to fit the schedule of all of our valued guests, and it looks like we succeeded. I do apologize that the linen had not arrived when expected; there were multiple street closures due to heavy rain. We have since worked on a few back-up plans to ensure no burden is placed on our most valued guests. We look forward to your speedy return!
Kenny Marrs – General Manager – French Quarter Hotel Group
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Came the week of Mardi Gras and had an amazing experience. Our room was right next to the pool and the sound of the water was so relaxing. The prior reviews made me nervous but it was nothing at all like the reviews. The staff was extremely kind and very helpful. They held our bags the day we needed to check out while we walked around town. They extended our check out time as well. Any time we needed anything the staff was there without hesitation. Wonderful hotel with clean rooms, great staff and very pleasant!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MHenders0n!
Thank you for your kind words! Our team works diligently to ensure each guest experience is as enjoyable as possible. You are right about the Courtyard Balcony Suites! The tranquil courtyard is quickly becoming a favorite among all of our valued guests. See you next Mardi Gras!
Kenny Marrs – General Manager – French Quarter Hotel Group
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the St Helene for 5 nights and absolutely loved it. We were on the third floor, in an absolutely beautiful room. Being that the building is well over 100 years old, there were definitely things that a modern did not have, such as a working elevator, and sound proof walls. But what it lacked in modern amenities, it made up 10 fold in charm. It is centered perfectly in the French quarter being a short walk from everything. 2 blocks from Bourbon St, it was close enough to enjoy the reverie and far enough to escape it. This was my first time in New Orleans, and the Hotel St Helene was everything I expected from a hotel in the French quarter. I definitely would recommend it for anyone who is looking for the French quarter experience on their trip to New Orleans.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Twix0731!
What a great review of your recent stay at Hotel St Helene! We love to hear how our guests find the charm of our beautifully-remodeled property as unique as we do. Many guests traveling to New Orleans seem to be trapped in the idea of something “New”. Why not enjoy the new with the old? Thank you for your kind words, and we look forward to serving you on your return to the Crescent City!
Kenny Marrs - General Manager - French Quarter Hotel Group
Lawton, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

When I was first reviewing this hotel I found mostly negative comments. I am happy to say that from the moment I arrived I had nothing but a pleasant experience. The décor is clean and simple. It was nice to have the pool after doing so much walking in the hot weather. Most importantly, the staff were all extremely nice and very helpful with directions and suggestions of must see places. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
We are so pleased to read your experiences exceeded your expectations. Our historic townhome houses not only a modern touch of decor, but a staff that truly cares for each individual guest. We look forward to your return visit, and again thank you for your review!
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Just returned from a great stay at the St Helene. I was a little worried about booking at a boutique hotel since you never know what kind of condition they'll be in or how loud it may be especially in the busy French Quarter. I am happy to say - rooms are well appointed and clean. Comfortable bed and linens. Great location next to the Napoleon House. Continental breakfast was on the small side when comparing with other hotels I've visited. don't bother except for a quick coffee - You're in New Orleans...spend the money and get some beignets at Cafe du Monde, a cheap breakfast at Johnny's down the street or a jazz brunch at Court of 2 Sisters instead of a muffin at the hotel! What truly made the stay outstanding were the front desk employees. Valerie and Donald were especially welcoming and accommodating, but so were the other staff members (i just don't remember their names!). It is amazing what a difference friendly and helpful front desk employees make - you actually feel like you're welcome in the city and not just another face passing thru. This will be my go-to hotel for my future trips to New Orleans - if simply due to how great the employees are. I prefer it to some of the larger hotels I've stayed at in and around French Quarter (JW Marriott, Sheraton and Hotel Mazarin -which are nice, but lack the hospitality St Helene has).

Room Tip: there are a couple rooms with balconies that face Chartres - if you can, snag those! floors on upper...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I would like to sincerely thank you for your recent review of Hotel Ste Helene. Each member of our staff thoroughly enjoyed ensuring that your stay was as enjoyable as possible. From our housekeeping to front desk staff, we thank you for your stay and look forward to your return visit!
White Plains
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed for 5 nights in this "boutique" hotel that claims to be a "beautifully restored hotel" that gives "a feeling of being home away from home". Arriving late at night I was directed to a shoebox-size cubicle in a corridor on the ground floor. The next day after complaining about the room I was transferred to a slightly larger corridor room on the third floor, the price being doubled due to the fact that a jazz festival was taking place! The last two nights I was upgraded to a room with a balcony view of the back of the Royal Sonesta Hotel where I was entertained with the sounds of the garbage trucks at 2AM.

During the stay in the balcony room there was a downpour of rain which came through the ceiling onto the bed and side table. The staff did not seem to be especially purturbed and when I asked for an umbrella, I was told that the one and only umbrella the hotel owned had not been returned since it went missing several weeks earlier.

Breakfast was a serve yourself affair that was lackluster with nothing to recommend it. Needless-to-say I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The one and only positive note is that it is in the heart of the French Quarter.

Room Tip: If you have to stay in this hotel I would recommend a balcony room in the back so that you can have...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am concerned at the number of issues that came up after your stay. You are correct that the size of your room was not comparable to the other suites on property. Unfortunately during your booking, you chose a ‘Standard Queen’ room with detailed square footage. We offer these accommodations for guests that wish to enjoy a boutique-style hotel at an economical-friendly price point. When you and I spoke after your first night your actual charges for your other rooms were kept at the same rate throughout, and in review of your folio I have not come across any rates that were double, or showed any increase. If you would like to send me a copy of your receipt I will be more than happy to review and make changes accordingly. During our final conversation you did suggest that we purchase more umbrellas, as the four we keep on site would not be adequate. At your suggestion, the hotel now offers one per guest suite. When inquiring about your rooms I was not made aware of your leak in the room. Our staff goes to great levels to ensure that each guest experiences a problem free stay, and when problems arise they are all empowered to ensure immediate satisfaction. Had we been made aware of your leak, I assure you that it would have been our top priority. Again, thank you for your review.

Been to Hotel St. Helene? Share your experiences!