“Overall Good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #109 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Seattle
“Overall Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at the sister Hotel Royal last year but chose St Helene because it was a closer to the convention center where I was attending a conference. The décor is nice..dark wood floors with mostly everything else white. I had a French Quarter balcony suite overlooking Charters Street. The first few days it was cool so I left the balcony door slightly ajar and man was it NOISY. I had a balcony at the Royal at my room was above a bar and it did not bother me, but this one WOW. Not just party animals all night but the building across the street had fans and some other mechanical device that ran all night and it was annoying. And in the morning, all the service trucks came by. When it became warm and I closed the doors to turn on the AC, the noise was tolerable. However, once I closed the doors, realized the AC was out. I let the front desk know in the morning and went to conference. When I returned, the AC was still not working. Went back to the front desk and was told the repair man "said he was on his way". By next morning, no one had come. On my way out in the morning, I told the front desk again and the staff person there knew nothing of it. She apologized and said she would take care of it. I returned at noon and still nothing. Within a few hours, the repair man arrived. He was unable to repair it so I spent a pretty uncomfortable night. There were no other rooms available in the St Helene. I was told the Royal had one but it was half the size of the one I was in which was pretty small. The room I stayed in at Royal was twice the size of the on at St Helene. I was also offered a room at their other property, Melrose Mansion. I chose not to move as it is on Esplanade and I would rather have tolerated a warm room for two more nights than schlep all they way down there. The repair man returned noon the next day. I went out and upon my return around 3pm, I had AC. The management compensated me one night's rate as well as the amenity fee for the entire week. So they did everything they could to offer options and in the end did right by me. So hats off to the staff at St Helene who not only were wonderful in dealing with the AC problem but in general we very nice and professional. I would stay here again but make sure I checked the AC as soon as I got in the room!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
We would like to thank you for taking the time to review your past stay at Hotel St. Helene. You have our deepest apologies in regards to the issues with your guest suite’s air conditioning, and for the delay in the repair. Due to the age of the building and the Air Control system that is on property, very few contractors are able to make repairs to the unit and it seemed like one issue after another with companies’ availability. This does not make up for the lack of comfort for those nights, and it was our pleasure to extend you a discounted room night.
Please keep us in mind for your next visit to the Crescent City. Next time I might suggest our Courtyard Balcony Suite that overlooks the beautiful exterior courtyard and pool. Many guests find that if the noises of the busy streets become a hindrance to a good night’s sleep that hearing the tranquil fountain is a great substitute, and still allow the enjoyment of a private balcony suite.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Kingsville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We found this hotel very charming in the midst of the French quarter. The staff were very helpful and very, very friendly. Our room was quite nice and the temp was acceptable. I definitely would stay at St. Helene's again. Thankyou especially to Allen, Ty, and I think her name was LaKeitha. Everyone was just great. Thankyou also to Janet, the lady who cleaned the rooms. She did a great job. Sincerely, L Callander

Room Tip: We stayed on the main floor near the reception desk, and yes the walls are somewhat thin and you can...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights. The staff was great, helpful when asked, pleasant, and always at the front desk when needed. We requested an interior room due to previous reviews of on street noise. My only major issue was waking the first night with our room in the mid 80's. Upon calling the front desk I was informed the hotel is either air conditioned or heated so your choice of room temp can be limited. This posed an issue a couple more times as there is no way to air the room without opening the door. I do understand that we were there during an unpredictable time (temp fluctuating, spring). That aside I would definitely stay here again. While in the French Quarter, it is positioned slightly off the main hot spots. While convenient, not as much traffic in front of the hotel. The hotel is clean and newly renovated. They offer a continental breakfast which is sufficient enough to start your day (there are so many phenomenal eats in New Orleans, no need for a big hotel breakfast). If you expect a quiet stay, I would suggest not staying in the French Quarter. If you expect a unique, moderately priced hotel stay at the Hotel St. Helene.

• Stayed March 2013
Placentia, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I agree with the majority of the comments here. I didn't have all the problems, but it was just my luck. I liked my room, and I think it was the right decision to stay in a boutique place instead of skyscraping boxes when you are in New Orleans. The location can't be better. I can't call the hotel staff and the policy friendly. It was ok at the end of the day. I don't think that I will stay there again next time I am in New Orleans.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hopewell NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had an inner room here and were not all that impressed. We paid an effective 160 a night after all the extra fees were applied and feel like we could have gotten a much better value elsewhere. The noises outside the hotel (traffic etc...) were not audible to our delight, but the noise inside the hotel was VERY audible in our room. We could even hear the receptionist answering the phone.

I will say that all but one staff member was excellent, polite and helpful. The only one that was not was the cleaning lady who never said hello, to you or back to you, and never smiled, she was actually a bit scary.

The bathroom also left a lot to be desired, there were these odd yellow stains on the marble next to the toilet, my husband assured me urine cannot do that but that is exactly what it looked like. The coffee at breakfast was good but other then the individualy packaged cereal everything else was fairly stale, and there was not much else, no cooked food at all.

Location was the highlight for us, we were able to do everything we wanted without renting a car, and the dozens of resturants within a two minute walk made the trip worth it.

Room Tip: Do not get an inner room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for your time in reviewing your previous stay at the Hotel St. Helene, nestled in the heart of the French Quarter. I am unable to see the dates of your stay, so cannot check the availability of the hotel during your visit.

In regards to the issues with the noise, we do sincerely apologize for any disturbance. Unfortunately, within the walls of this historic building it is very difficult to allow for windows while holding back noise that other guests may cause while visiting. All of our staff is fully trained to assist with requests to move away from noise if anyone is feeling inconvenienced at any time throughout their stay.

Hotel St Helene takes pride in the exceptional customer service we have to offer, and apologize if you felt the housekeeper to ignore you throughout your stay. We have shared this review with her, and will spend the time with continuous education.

Your husband is correct; the yellowing you noticed to the tile is due to the age of the marble and the many years the property sat vacant after Hurricane Katrina. We take continuous strides to ensure the utmost cleanliness of our guest room suites and public spaces. The patina to the tile adds an excellent charm matched with our modern touches.

Again, thank you for your review. Upon your next visit to the Crescent City, we hope to be able to show you what true service is really about. Please contact our property directly to assist with locations of rooms away from the noise. I would even suggest one of our tranquil Courtyard Balcony Suites.

Regards,

Hotel St Helene Management
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Hotel St. Helene is located in a perfect spot. A 5 minute walk from Jackson Sq. and Royal St. which is full of art galleries, and about 8 min. from wild Bourbon St. The hotel lacks the little things that make a hotel great. The staff (Allen, Donald, Jade and Ty) were very helpful though. The hotel was noisy at night as voices in the corridors seemed to echo. It has been redone but they made a few mistakes during the renovations. In our room the cute sitting room was elevated about 10 in. higher than the rest of the room, which nearly caused falls when the lights were out. I didn't see any emergency fire routes mentioned in the room. This should be corrected. Make sure you ask about the time for breakfast because they didn't inform us of it and we missed them. However great breakfasts can be had at Carmella's 2 min. from the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back, not near the stairwells.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is in the perfect location - right in the heart of the French Quarter, but on a quiet street out of the madness. The rooms are spacious, the decor modern, the balconies lovely - we paid extra to guarantee we got one as we didn't know if we'd be lucky enough to come back.
The breakfast was paltry at best - but there are so many great cafes on your doorstep, that's not a major problem.
What ruined this hotel and would stop us coming back was the seriously lacklustre staff. No request was acted on - no matter how small - from asking for a trash can to be put in our room, to asking the front desk to call us a cab to the airport (the girl on reception decided finishing a call to her friend was far more important than us getting our flight and when the "driver" did arrive - late - he decided to go inside and chat to the staff for 10 mins while we were left sweating in the car, worrying we wouldn't make it to the airport on time).
Oh, and every morning we were woken at hideous o'clock by the loudest refuse van in the known world.
The extra charges other reviewers have mentioned would have been acceptable, had the service been up to scratch. But it wasn't. And it left a bad taste in our mouths on what was otherwise the trip of a lifetime. We'll definitely go back to New Orleans. Hotel St Helene? No chance unless there's a major attitude change.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel St. Helene? Share your experiences!