“Excellent location, beautiful, but rooms a bit small & austere” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel St. Helene
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   508 Rue Chartres, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #111 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Tallahassee, Florida
“Excellent location, beautiful, but rooms a bit small & austere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Now I didn't book the room, so I don't know how all that went, so this is from the perspective of a guest.
This hotel is in the heart of the French Quarter, across the street from a parking garage.
The first thing I noticed upon entering is that the floor is black wood & everything else is white. The visual is quite impressive. The lobby is a bit small, I was shocked. Due to the wooden floors & no carpeting save the fiber one under the bed, I was surprised at how quiet it was. I would have expected a lot of echoing of footsteps & voices.
The room was a standard queen & was a bit small, however it is well laid out & when we had four people in there at times surprisingly we weren't tripping over eachother. It is a bit austere & cold & could use some softening features. The bathroom is in want of a good scrubbing as the grout & corners in the bathroom were dirty, the spray from the shower head was too fine, & we could really could have used more than two towels. The bed was really comfortable & the linens were very clean. It would have been very nice to have a pull out sofa, a wall switch to operate the ceiling fan (or longer pull) & larger dresser. The courtyard & pool is absolutely beautiful.
Now, the one deal breaker was that the air conditioner didn't ever cool the room below 78. It was late when we noticed this & were really tired & leaving the following morning, so we didn't bother with it. Over all the experience was good, I would stay there again for the conveinence, decent price, & location. Thank you.

Room Tip: The first room you come to when you get off the stairs on the third floor is really hot
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
General M, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out and giving us your feedback. You are correct, there are a few parking choices around Ste Helene, there are however, two garages across the street and a lot only a few steps away next door. Our décor is very simple at all of our properties with the color scheme of black and white. We are a small property with only 16 rooms and our lobby and common areas reflect that as well. We have heard guest say they can hear echoing through the hotel so it’s nice to hear that it doesn’t affect every guest and their stay with us, thank you. The rooms at Ste Helene, even the Standard Suites are very roomy, the rooms, like our common areas are decorated very clean cut and simple with the black and white colors. We have already address the bathroom area’s with maintenance and housekeeping and are currently working to get that taken care of. Because there is only one bed in the rooms, we typically cater to singles or couples we only keep 2 sets of towels in the room, however there is a front desk agent on the property 24/7, they would have been more than happy to assist you with getting more towels, within reason of course. Some of our other Suites do have couches and sitting areas, our Standard Suites unfortunately do not. Were sorry to here that the air conditioner wasn’t working, but if we would have known we would have definitely had that fixed for you, but respectfully we understand why you didn’t. Again thank you so much for your comments and we will definitely address everything in your review. Please come back and see us soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed here because I thought I got a good deal on the room. The location is perfect in the French Quarter and that's about it. The employees were friendly, The rooms were smaller than I expected especially the bathroom. I don't like my knees are almost touching the wall when I'm on the toilet. Our room didn't even get cleaned nor towels replaced after the first night, then on the 2nd day it never got cleaned till about 3PM. (at least they decided to do their job finally). The hotel is not noisy from the busy action on the streets but you sure do hear people talking when they walk down the hall as well as hear the door closing to the rooms. I know I won't be staying here again

• Stayed October 2012
General M, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Than you for your comment and choosing Hotel Ste Helene for your stay in New Orleans. We do pride ourselves on our customer service. Unfortunately I can not tell how you booked and if you talked to one of our front desk agents about a room that would best suit your needs and what exactly you were looking for. Our standard rooms are 170 square feet but we do have rooms as large as 215 square feet and the restrooms in those rooms are larger as well. Our Courtyard Suites and French Quarter Balcony Suites are the rooms we typically recommend for our guests who would like a little more room.
We do have a green program and cards in the rooms explaining that unless the guest specifically requests something we do not change anything out. Our housekeepers typically do check out rooms first then move onto the stay overs. We apologize for the inconvenience it caused.
Our hotel is small and quaint and unfortunately you can hear people, we apologize for this inconvenience.
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed here last week with my mom. We were celebrating her retirement. We booked our balcony- street-side room back in August for an early October stay. The day before we arrived I received a phone call saying that a guest had broken a glass door in our balcony room so it would not be ready for us the day we arrived. Instead we were offered an interior room at the lower rate for one night. We understand things happen so we were fine with this switch- until we caught them in a lie. When we came downstairs after our first night and asked when our balcony room would be ready, they told us that the guests hadn't checked out yet. They told us the day before that the room was uninhabitable due to the broken French door, and yet someone was actually staying in it! I understand sometimes guests want to extend their stays, but they should have just told us that instead of making up some story. Really disappointed in that level of service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
We are so very sorry, but I promise this was simply a miscommunication. This situation was, after speaking with the glass repair company in the morning, they were not able to give us a definite time on when the room would be ready. Given this information we decided to pre-block you to a room that we knew was checking out of a French Quarter Balcony Suite, so that we would be able to get you into your room as soon as it become available. Checkout time is for 11:00am so we knew that the guests would be checking out at that time or prior and would have the room cleaned immediately for your convenience. If we were to wait for the repairs of the room it possible it wouldn’t have been ready until 3:00-4:00 pm. We thought this decision would be in the best interest for you, so when you stopped by the front desk and asked if your room was ready, it was actually still occupied. We apologize; the front desk agent should have gone into more detail and explained why we were putting you in a room that was occupied the previous night. We apologize for this misunderstanding. We would never want you to feel as though we were misleading you or any other guest in any way. Please feel free to call us anytime to discuss this further, again we apologize for the confusion.
San Jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I were driving from Boston to California when we stopped at this little hotel the heart of the French quarter. It was so funny to walk into our room and see it laid out just like a typical Boston apartment/studio, because just earlier that day I told my boyfriend that I was homesick for our apartment in Boston. It was like being home again one last time.

My boyfriend chose this hotel because of its proximity to a closed parking garage-- we were traveling with a huge moving truck that was a heart attack and a half to deal with on the roads. When we got to the garage, they said we couldn't park there, even though we'd specifically planned everything out (the garage only specified that it needed a certain amount of clearance, which we fit under). Luckily, the nice concierge told us about the parking lot near the brewery, which was still open-air, but looked a lot safer than the kind of sketchy one down the street. I know that my boyfriend was nervous about the truck, and this little move from one lot to the definitely got him more sleep, so a big thanks to the concierge!

The location is perfect, walking distance to anything you'd want to do, from the Cafe Du Monde to Bourbon St. And even if you don't know what to do or where to eat, it's easy to find something good. After walking around, we dangled our feet in the beautiful pool/courtyard area. The nice concierge took our picture, and later showed us an old old old picture of the hotel/the street, which was really very cool to see. He was really great in a laid back sort of way, he wasn't trying too hard.

The only downside to the hotel was, yes, the noise issue. After reading the reviews, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be considering it was a Saturday night, but it was still very inconvenient. And the thing was, I think the people next door to us actually arrived at 2am, so they had no idea about the noise issues because no one else was up making noise. It might be a good idea to implement courtesy hours with the explanation that the courtyards echo and the walls are a little thin (actually, it wasn't the walls I think, it was more the fact that our room shared a door with the next room, making it very easy for noise to travel between them). I've been at other hotels that have done this, it's a nice, effective courtesy. Just a suggestion.

Another small suggestion: Having a light in the couch area. Since it's like a cave off the side, it was very dark at night. I loved that the T.V. was on a moveable arm though, you could watch T.V. on the bed or the couch!

The breakfast was good for on the go. I think they know that most people head out for some cafe au lait and the local food, but it was a nice option of little pastries and a hot beverage. I grabbed a coffee cake square for the road and it was very tasty.

Oh, one small thing, my boyfriend got really sick from drinking the water in our room. We came right after Hurricane Isaac had passed through, so maybe the area was under a temporary boil water warning, but no one had told us.

Overall, I loved this place. Even though I missed some sleep, it was definitely my favorite hotel of the entire road trip (well... staying at the Wigwam motel was pretty exciting too, maybe it's a tie) for comfort and a really homey feeling. Just thinking about our stay makes me happy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
General M, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you for your comment. Were glad to hear you felt at home, ultimately we want all of our guest to feel like they are at home, and we are extremely happy you did. We wear many hats as the Hotel Front Desk Agent, concierge, parking attendant, tour guide, photographer and much more.
Thank you so much for your suggestions, we are definitely listening to the reviews. We currently have ordered more lamps and they are on their way to provide more lighting in different areas in the room! All of our flat screens are movable for the convenience our guest.
Our breakfast is improving with the continuing feedback from our guest. We are now serving milk, orange juice, cereal, and a few different varieties of pastries.
We are sorry to hear he was sick; it honestly could have been a number of things. The city, however, was never under a boil advisory. Things are back to business as usual here in New Orleans, please come back and see us anytime!! Thank you again for your feedback, we appreciate it and are so glad you enjoyed yourselves.
North Bellmore, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

As a frequent New Orleans visitor, I found this property to be quite quaint and perfect for our weekend getaway (where I got engaged, btw). It is small, but very comfortable and the rooms have great space. The beds were super comfortable and best of all, the staff were extremely friendly. The location is excellent as well. It is only a short walk to Jackson Square and is in the heart of the french quarter.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Ruston, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

It was a great hotel , loved the rooms- not vey big but real nice. Not many rooms so not alot of people coming in and out- quiet and close to bourbon street-- loved the pool also. quiet little place that people really don't know about- Jena was a great host-- i never comment on hotels but i really like this one.. Burton

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
We thank you for letting us be your first review!! More importantly we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself immensely.
Houma, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We live only 45 miles NO so my husband and I often drive over and stay a night for a little getaway. We have stayed in many hotels in the quarter and were looking forward to staying at this hotel. The St. Helene has stood closed since Katrina (hurricane) and we were excited to see it being renovated and then opened. We stayed there the Sunday before Labor day and after our visit, we would would rank this hotel somewhere in the middle compared to the other hotels we've stayed at. Actually, it would take only adding a few small details and amenities to make this Boutique hotel one that would we would visit again.

First the PROS:
It is in a prime location. Just blocks from Jackson Square, it's in the center of the tourist district. The lack of parking doesn't really matter since there are places right across the road. Yes it's expensive, but almost all overnight parking is in the Quarter. No hotel offers free parking. The architecture is classic New Orleans. This is old historical building that gives you a glimpse of how these buildings are laid out with the narrow long hallways and the beautiful courtyards that are like a surprise in the middle of the buildings. The linens were white and fresh & clean. The TV is a nice big flat screen (not all boutique Quarter hotels have this). The sink is separate from the shower area which I always like for the sake of putting on makeup. We did book a Balcony room and the balcony was really niceand big, facing the street, with a table and 2 chairs. There is a nice size pool. The staff was friendly and helpful.

The cons:
Things that were missing from the room that could add a lot: Hotel Information. There was nothing to give you any info about the room, the numbers you need, where the ice machine was, etc. There was supposed to be free Internet, but it required a name and password. I didn't discover this until the early morning when I needed it, and couldn't call down because... And this is another thing... The phone didn't work. A mini fridge would be a helpful addition to the room also. I always like to have a diet coke in the early morning, and even packing it in ice the night before, it was luke warm in the morning. A lamp beside the chair in the room would be nice for reading. Lighting is scarce in the room. The elevator wasn't working and I was thankful we were only on the 2nd floor.

Bottom line: we paid a premium price for a room with a balcony, (and prices were higher in town because of labor day) but it felt like we over paid for what we actually got and experienced. Would we stay again, yes, if we got a super good price. I would definitely bring an ice chest if that happened and get the Internet information before I got to the room. If you are staying only one or two nights in the Quarter, then this is not a bad place to stay, especially if you won't be spending a lot of time in your room. If you are staying longer and looking forward to lounging in your room- you won't be comfortable here unless it's cooler weather so you can sit on the balcony.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
General M, Front Office Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions, they are definitely appreciated. You’re most certainly correct, parking in the French Quarter is challenging but St Helene is located near 3 parking options in the one block radius and about 5 within minutes of walking. We are newly renovated all of our rooms are equipped with its own thermostat, bathroom and flat screen television. Our company does true very hard to stay true to the New Orleans architecture as well as meeting the needs of today’s convenience like the WiFi and central A/C and heating, for example. The French Quarter Hotel Group prides itself on our customer service, it’s extremely important to us that our guest truly feel like guest.
We apologize that the room phone was unavailable and not working, it may have been something as simple as the wire being lose. We are in the process of making an in room binder with all the information New Orleans guest could need- restaurants, night life, tour information as well as local cab phone numbers and as well as a hotel directory. Unfortunately, St Helene does not have any fridges in any of the rooms; however, we will definitely take this into serious consideration. We currently have additional lighting to put in all the rooms on the way as we speak! The elevator has not been working for some time, we never want to miss lead anyone, therefore all of our websites we advertise for do show that we don’t not have a working elevator and we do have Bellman on staff that can assist during regular business hours, this is not to be confused with the front desk which is on site 24/7.
We are sorry to hear that you feel you were misled and possibly should have gotten more. If you wanted to give me a call personally so we could discuss some of the issues with your room as well as your stay in more detail I would be more than happy to do so. We definitely want to invite you back so you could tell us how our improvements help and what else we can improve on for the future.

Been to Hotel St. Helene? Share your experiences!