“Great Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #110 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Herat, Afghanistan
“Great Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I were very pleased with this hotel. The staff was very courteous, informative, rooms are clean and modern. Nice sized tv for the room size. We liked how small the place is and the fact that it's not a corporate run hotel, this make our experience more personal and enjoyable. For those leaving bad reviews, you must like staying at high end corporate owned hotel. This place isn't for you, they don't call this a boutique for nothing.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Galliano, Louisiana, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Where to start...

We booked this hotel because of location and it was recently remodeled. The location was excellent. Could not complain at all about that. That is where the good stopped.

They offered no parking and no deal with any lot nearby. It was $35 a night or walk a few blocks.

We get in the room and they are small. We had the queen room, but if I had known it would have been so small, I'd have gotten the deluxe. After a few hours in the city, I decided to take a quick refresher shower. The drain wasn't draining. Told the staff and they were nearly useless. I asked to move rooms and they put me in the room on the side. That room also had plumbing issues. The toilet wouldn't flush. We decided to just go out and let them call someone. They did fix it after a few hours. The floors will also turn your socks black.

The first night, I was woken up by the room on the side. They were playing music on their TV around 3 in the morning. Second morning I was woken up by people walking up and down the stairs. How thin were the walls?!!

I have no reason to recommend or book this hotel again.

Keep in mind they add $9 a night for some "resort fee". I don't get why they can't include it in the price.

Room Tip: Stay away from bottom floor. Very loud.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
We are sorry to hear that your experience was not the best of experiences. We work hard and take pride in providing great customer service to all guest. We do our very best to portray all of our rooms as is on our website, we are sorry you were unhappy. In regards to your toilet issue at the property we are only a 16 room property so we are limited to the rooms we can move you to if we are sold out. As stated above once notified we did get the problem taken care of. Unfortunately there are things that come up and we cannot always foresee but we do our very best to make sure any situation that arises is taken care of to the best of our ability. In regards to the floors, our hard wood floors are stained ebony black, that is most likely what happened to your socks. We are in the process of having all floors re-coated with an additional coat of finish. The hotel re-opened in January and since then we have noticed that the floors do need another coat of finish. This issue is being addressed.
Waco, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I was excited that Hotel St Helene reopened. My son and girlfriend were going on a cruise for the first time and I agreed to pay for the St Helene for the night before their departure.

Since it was SO important to them and me, I checked on the confirmation via email, and then even called to make double sure. All was fine.

But, when they went to check in at noon, they were told to come back at 3. They did. At 3 they were told that there was no room available...despite the confirms. They arranged a booking at a sister hotel, on Royal. No consolation on our side -- they had a very special room CONFIRMED at St Helene with a street balcony - the most prized room in the Qtr. The sister hotel had no balcony and they drove for hours in circles with no where to park.

The worst part, I wrote to complain and seek some kind of recompense -- or at least an apology. NO ONE wrote back.

Bad, bad service. Never ever had a hotel just blow off a confirmation that was confirmed twice.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter - they don't honor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
By no means did we just blow your reservation off. We had several issues with our chillers and had to replace one. This caused several rooms over the past couple of weeks to be placed out of order due to A/C issues. Once the overall issue was determined we realized we had to replace a chiller which has since been completed. This caused us to relocate some guest to our sister property four blocks away. By no means did we just blow off your confirmation. I am not sure what and where you sent your message but if you would like to contact the hotel directly and ask to speak to the Manager, I will be happy to assist and discuss in further detail.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

The photos on this site don't do this place justice. I very much enjoyed my stay at Hotel St. Helene that I stayed one more night and recommended my friends to stay there for their last night in New Orleans. When you step out of this hotel, you will realize how great this location is, it is in the middle of Napolean House notable for Girod that offered refuge to the Dauphin, and Dufilho's 1832 pharmacy and home, now a Pharmacy Museum and a block away from Decatur and half a block away from from K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen. The best meal I had in New Orleans with my friends, "Blackened Drum."

At first, I was disappointed that I didn't have a "real window (no street or courtyard view)," but I felt so comfortable in my room, that it didn't matter. I would have stayed longer if I knew how great the deal was, but I already booked a place elsewhere for this week. The queen bed was comfortable with very nice bedding. The square pillows reminded me of my first time in Paris. In addition to the queen bed, there was a twin bed in the sitting room area. It was also very comfortable and if I could, I would have slept on both beds at the same time. The shower was wonderful, great water pressure and marble floors and walls. The pool in the courtyard was clean, and very refreshing.

The staff was also very jovial and genuinely helpful. Thank you for accommodating my friends' reservation by prioritizing it over a competing booking as well as helping me book a car service while I was already checked out. Special mention to Felicia! I hope to be back very soon.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms neither have street or courtyard view. They have a window but it's a window that fa...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
General M, General Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive review! We are so happy you enjoyed some of NOLA’s finest restaurants, everything you have mentioned is in walking distance of the hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed the décor and the setting area in your room; people often say our hotels are like ones they traveled to in Europe. All of our rooms have been recently remodeled with the marble bathrooms. Our pool area does have tables and chairs that our guest can enjoy the ambiance, of whether it’s do some work or enjoy our complimentary coffee in the morning.
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I would have given this hotel a higher review, but can't because of the noise. The hotel is located next to business with an outdoor courtyard that rents the space out for parties. The music is so loud that you have to raise your voice to talk to other people inside your room, and ours was an interior room. In the 5 nights we stayed, there were events on a Friday night and on a Monday night. When we heard the party start on Friday night, we weren't too concerned since it had been so quiet the previous nights. We went out for the evening and it was over when we returned. We were really surprised by the Monday night party, especially since we had to get up at 4am for our flights the next morning. I inquired at the front desk, and they offered to ask them to turn it down. They also informed me that according to city ordinance they can play music until 3am.
The room was clean, our air-conditioner worked, the staff was helpful, and it was in a really
convenient location. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. There was complimentary coffee in the mornings and a small courtyard with a small pool. The room did lack the typical
amenities of a coffee pot and hair dryer. We payed $8.95 per day for Internet. We liked this hotel, but would not stay here again because of the noise.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Abby A, General Manager at Hotel St. Helene, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you for visiting New Orleans along with Hotel St. Helene. I am sorry that you found St. Helene noisy. This is actually the first time we have had this complaint. You are correct the Napoleon House which is a restaurant is located just next door to us. With Hotel St. Helene being directly in the heart of the French Quarter, at times it can be load but we do want all of our guest to be comfortable. If is very nice to hear that you were pleased with the staff and the general hotel accommodations. We strive to make sure that each of our guest have a wonderful stay at our property while enjoying our beautiful city.
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

What a beautiful quaint hotel. We had the room right off the courtyard with direct access to the pool. Best room in the house... Just beautiful! Rooms are nicely renovated and charming. The staff was amazing. A special mention for Derek. He was so helpful and accommodating. Gave us great tips and always a smile on his face. Thank you Derek for making our stay even better! We ate breakfast everyday at the Camellia Grill. What a great, fun New Orleans experience that is! We were able to walk to everywhere in the French quarter, so this hotel is an awsome location.
Thanks again Hotel St. Helene for a great New Orleans experience!

Room Tip: The room off the pool in the courtyard
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind review of Hotel St. Helene. We strive to make sure that all of our guest here at St. Helene have a wonderful experience and we take pride in the customer service we offer to all of our guest here
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

The St. Helen is a nice hotel built in what appears to be a refurbished New Orleans townhouse. It has a cute patio in the back which contains a very small pool. We did not get in the pool, but it does make a nice feature. The rooms are decorated in a harsh, black and white style, but the beds are comfortable. The bathroom was a little small for two of us at the same time when getting ready but the shower was comfortable. In our room, there was no towel rack by the sink. You had to go into the commode room of the bathroom to dry your hands which could be somewhat trying--especially when someone else was using the bathroom. Overall the Ste. Helene was a nice base from which to conduct our trip into the Quarter.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the ones with a balcony overlooking the pool There are only two, but they are in the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at hotel St. Helene. we know that you had a lot of options on where to stay and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Please keep us in mind for next time.

Been to Hotel St. Helene? Share your experiences!