“Clean, charming, great staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Fairchild House Bed and Breakfast
1518 Prytania St, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #64 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Clean, charming, great staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2004

The staff is definitely the best asset. We found them to be most helpful. David was very knowledgable about the area. Rose was ready with breakfast, and always pleasent. Although some updates could be made.(We had a lumpy mattress)
I would stay again, it was convenient to the trolly line, to the interstate, and several restaurants.
Clean and cozy.

92 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brasschaat , BELGIUM EUROPE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2004

we stayed in the fairchild house for 9 nights, oct 18. we found it a very nice place, beautiful decorated, quiet part of the city (if you compare with the noise in the high priced french quarter!). Beatriz does here job very well: it's allways nice talking to her and she gives you a lot of information. She also makes your reservations for tours, taxi's ,... There is a garden in the back of the house where it is nice to sit and read. We would go back there !!!! thanks to Beatriz !

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2004

This was my third stay at the Fairchild House, this time I brought five girlfriends with me to celebrate a special birthday -- and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We stayed in two adjacent suites for extremely reasonable rates, we had all the comforts of home and the friendly staff, as always, was a pleasure to interact with -- our every need was accommodated. We really enjoyed our suites, especially the suite in the front ot the house with the balcony overlooking the street, the charming antique furniture gives it that "old world" New Orleans feel, both suites were spacious and comfortable giving six girls room to spread out. Having the kitchen facilities in the suites available to us was a wonderful convenience -- a coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave, dishes and pots and pans enabled us to make ourselves snacks when our busy schedule didn't allow time for a meal out. But, of course, we also did plenty of sampling of New Orleans' fabulous restaurants! We also enjoyed the cheerful, homey atmosphere and convenience of the breakfast room, and in the afternoons we took a load off our tired feet with a glass of wine in the charming garden in the back. My friends came to feel about the Fairchild House the way I do, a comfortable home-away-from-home while visiting the fascinating city of New Orleans. I have also recommended the Fairchild House to several other friends planning a trip to New Orleans, and everyone was extremely happy with their stay there. A stay at the Fairchild House is much better than a stay in a sterile hotel -- at this bed & breakfast, you really feel like you are staying with friends in an authentic New Orleans home, but with the privacy of a hotel room -- I have stayed at other B&Bs where the staff was a little too much in your face -- the staff at the Fairchild House knows how to do it just right. I would recommend the Fairchild House to anyone looking for a charming, comfortable place to stay in The Big Easy.

Long Island, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2004

I just returned from 6 nights at the Fairchild House, 1518 Prytania St., New Orleans, for which I paid a totally unreasonable $90 a night. The photos on the Fairchild House website are pure fiction. It looks nothing like that in real life. I was shocked when I was shown my room. The large place appeared mostly empty of guests; I might have asked for a nicer room, but I now think it's entirely possible that I was already placed into one of the nicest rooms. If the place had been dirty, I would have demanded a refund and left, and disputed any charges with my credit card company. But there were no roaches and it was indeed kept as clean as a run-down place can be kept. So I reluctantly decided to avoid a fight and stick it out. Also, I am not a review writer but this is the kind of place that could definitely ruin someone's trip, so I feel obliged to tell you what I observed. I'm a journalist by trade, a road warrior for years, and this is the worst B&B I have ever stayed at. I've stayed at more than I can remember. This place is not romantic, not charming, not even funky like an old hippie commune I stayed at once in New Mexico, which had "hippie carpentry" so that half knobs and latches didn't fit together. This is, at best, your grandmother's house, and she's on a small pension and struggling to get by. The good news: It is kept very clean and is in an excellent location for walking to the Morial Convention Center and to fine local restaurants. The housekeeper/maid is very nice. The A/C worked great, the light bulbs all worked, I had a little refrigerator, coffee maker, with coffee in the fridge, all fine. The bed was fine. The toilet flushed, there was abundant hot water. The towels were fine, adequately supplied, and clean. Breakfast is basic and you can get by with it. The coffee is good (but all the coffee in New Orleans seems to be good). But this place is so run-down, I was depressed every night at the thought of going "home" to it. A few specifics: two pieces of furniture in my room, the wardrobe and a table, were literally falling apart. Pieces of lumber have fallen loose, with exposed nails, in the back of the wardrobe. These are not "antiques," they are just junk that either need to be repaired or thrown out. The floor, carpeted by badly stained carpet, is so sagging that a piece of wood was just nailed on top of the carpet so that an occasional table could stand level. The top molding of the kitchen area consists of a piece of cheap wood that has yet to be finished -- not even painted (this would take 25 cents' worth of paint and 30 minutes). The TV turns on but I could only get one station clearly.Old mars to the walls have been sloppily patched with spackle and then painted over. They couldn't even bother to level and smooth the spackle first. I've done that work myself, it's not a big deal. Why does it have to be so ugly? The natural light was virtually nonexistent. The window is covered with cheap whitewashed lattice, such as seen in a garden, apparently to preserve the privacy of the people who live on the other side of the walkway. The plastic bathroom floor is severely worn and just plain unsightly. The neighborhood is going upscale rapidly but it is not there just yet. This place is situated between a rough part of town and the Garden District, which is a wealthy area. If you plan to be on foot a lot, bring your street smarts. But I did not feel unsafe anytime on the street. At $40-50 a night this place might make sense for the budget traveler, perhaps a student. But not for a normal middle-class person. Home never looked so good when I got back here!Advice: Buy an independent guidebook, look up B&B's, and reserve many months in advance so you can get something nice. The other thing I learned is, take negative reviews on this website seriously. There was an earlier negative review of this place, and a spirited reply by the management, so I decided the negative reviewer was just being spiteful. I've learned my lesson. It takes time to write one of these reviews. If somebody bothers to do it, pay attention before you plunk down your credit card.

, Innkeeper/Owner at Fairchild House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 15, 2004
Wow - quite a vicious tongue-lashing! Strange. I interviewed the staff for complaints mentioned in this very "questionable" apparaisal and found none. In fact, upon a room-by-room inspection, I spotted a few, very minor problems - they were addressed as usual. Guess we weren't this reviewer's cup of tea - but then - most of our guests prefer wine anyway. Cheers!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2004

After so many trips to New Orleans, I would have to say that this was by far the best bed & breakfast experience I have encountered. And although there had been a miscommunication regarding our reservations, Beatriz was very gracious in accommodating our needs...as was her mother. The light breakfast was perfect, with chicory coffee, fruit, pastries, and that fresh grapefruit was delicious! I am not one to remember to write reviews, even when warranted, but this was too great an experience not to share--though, I hope now I won't have added competition for my next visit! Everyone was so sweet and accommodating, our room was great and well kept, the courtyard is charming....It's only a hop skip from the St. Charles street car and within a lovely area filled with other restaurants and attractions....I could go on and on!

• Stayed April 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2004

We recently stayed three nights at Fairchild House and had a most enjoyable stay. The bed was comfortable, the room and bath very clean and the staff courteous and professional. The continental breakfast was more than adequate, the fruit was fresh and the coffee was definitely a taste of Louisiana! The neighborhood was well lit at night, about a block and a half from the St. Charles street car line, and about the same from Emeril's Delmonico Restaurant (this place you gotta try!).
Our visit to New Orleans was great, thanks in part to our pleasant stay at Fairchild House. We will definitely stay there the next time we visit the Big Easy...

• Stayed April 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2004

We stayed at Fairchild House last month and had a wonderful time. I was amazed at the negative review because I thought it was one of the best B&B's I've ever stayed at ....and I've been to many. The rooms are just lovely. Quintessentially New Orleans. I've sent many friends to the Fairchild House and they love it. The Staff is curteous and helpful.
The manager doesn't hesitate to provide you with whatever you need. The breakfast is good and light aloowing you to eat your way through some of the finest and funkiest restaurants in the country. I would recommned staying here without a minutes hesitation.

Been to Fairchild House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!