“Good choice in new orleans” 4 of 5 stars

Fairchild House Bed and Breakfast
1518 Prytania St, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #64 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Good choice in new orleans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed here during our trip to New Orleans. This is a good option for a cheap, but comfortable and clean place to stay. The place does need some updating(looks like there is water damage to the ceiling above the room we stayed in) and maybe a fresh paint job but for the price we paid I'm not complaining. The owner and her mom were very nice and took the time to get to know their guests which we liked. Breakfast was good and adequate(would have loved a hot option or two) but we came in knowing it was a continental breakfast so that it our fault. Ended up getting breakfast both days shortly after we ate because we were craving some hot food! Overall, lovely and nice place to stay in new orleans.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Tangerang, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I'm sharing review for my stay at the Fairchild just a few days ago.

Before that I have to point out that prior to making any hotel bookings, I always to make sure that I will be getting the best cultural experience out of the cities that I visit. Franchise hotels didn't really attract me that much, especially if you're traveling to a unique place such as New Orleans.

That being said, my stay at the Fairchild B&B was nothing short of heartwarming. Having driven for eight straight hours and arriving at 03.00 in the morning with no clue to the area except with the help of GPS, I frankly did not know what to expect out of Faichild. But as soon as I found the address (in a very quiet neighborhood), I was greeted by the friendly attendant Ross who is assistance to the owner. Courtesy was shown right from the start - Ross did not bother to make me settle any payment, but rather was providing enough explanation about the facility as he showed me to my room.

My first impression was: the house is very old and has its own "ambient". This is a good thing, especially if you're into vintage/historical sites. Once you have accepted the fact that you are not staying at a 5-star international hotel chain, you will begin to appreciate the place and (hopefully, like I did) excited about your upcoming days in New Orleans. It took me no time to get myself comfortable, and sleeping was never a problem for me here. The bed was very comfortable.

I take special note on the owner and the staff's superfriendliness to their guests. Beatrize and her mother (the owners) were excellent hosts and will certainly make you feel like actually staying over at a friend's place rather than a hotel.

Despite the slightly high rate (due to busy week with post-Mardi Gras, the convention, and other events in town), I recommend Fairchild House to anyone looking to stay within the vicinity of downtown NOLA - within walking distance to CBD and main attraction but distant enough from the bustling city traffic. Walking to WWII Museum's only 8 minutes, 10 to Canal St, 12 to Harrah's, and 15 to French Quarter.

Thank you, Beatrize. Love the orange juice. :)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is the second time I have stayed at the Fairchild House, and I had a great time again! We came during the first weekend of Mardi Gras, and they had a good room available at a great price compared to all of the other hotels. My boyfriend and I stayed in a queen room. It was very comfortable and clean. It was a little crazy with Mardi Gras going on, but we had no trouble getting around. We walked to some places, and took a taxi to others. The B&B is in a good, quiet location and not too far from other places. We had a great time, and I would definitely stay here a third time!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Lihue, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

You can expect a good experience if you choose this location. I was there over x'mas and found this neighborhood to be safe and quiet. Away from the French quarter but close to Tulane. Many things to keep you busy uptown.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Leesburg, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

we stayed in a room with a queen size bed, the B&B is nice and charming in a great location. A block from the trolley and some good restaurants, if you don't want the hustle and noise of being down town, this is a good place to stay a ten minute Trolley ride and your at the French Quarter. The staff is very nice and accommodating. We had some issues with the heater in our room and they moved us to another room with out any hassle. the beds and pillows could use some refreshing they were too hard for our liking. a good place to stay but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

I recently stayed at the Fairchild House for a weekend, and had a very pleasant stay. Staff was friendly and helpful, and the rooms serviceable. The building is very old (1840s), and has attendant issues. (Sound insulation is not great, floors can be uneven.) The age also contributes to an appearance of being unclean, but I did feel like anything actually *was* unclean. This means that it is probably not for everybody, but I feel like that is actually part of the draw of a B&B like this. If you want cold, clean, corporate design, go stay in a Comfort Inn (and pay more).

Breakfast was very tasty, though it starts later than I would have expected. (830-930 breakfast means you might have to skip it to get a jump on the day or if you have to work.) The bed was comfortable, the shower had plenty of hot water, and the towels were soft. In all the ways that matter to me, this was an excellent choice, and was significantly cheaper than other options.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our room was very nice, roomy and pleasant, the bed was very comfortable. We stayed here at the Fairchild for 4 nights. The staff were ever so helpful with local information and any requests we had. The continental breakfast was above and beyond. Fresh fruit, fresh coffee and always a warm welcome from Beatrize and her mother. Conveniently located, if staying for several days touring, you can walk to the CVS and purchase a Jazzy pass for the trolley. On/off from one to three day passes, we certainly took advantage of that.
Another trip to New Orleans...we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Fairchild House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!