“Meets Expectations - Good Location” 3 of 5 stars

Fairchild House Bed and Breakfast
1518 Prytania St, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #64 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Tampa, FL
“Meets Expectations - Good Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

This bed and breakfast is a block off the green trolley line, a little SW of the Quarter.

Go into it knowing what you're getting and it's fine. Average accommodations at a fair price in a good location. Cool older house with private entrance/parking area. Little patio to hang out on, private rooms and bathrooms. Everything was clean and the food in the morning was adequate. Furniture and beds could use an upgrade, but so could almost everything in New Orleans.

Inn Keeper is nice and accessible.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We had a great time at Fairchild House. We had a conferences at the convention center and added a little fun to the trip. We had a warm welcome when we arrived. The room was perfect. Have heard complaints about the tv but we never even turned it on. Who watches tv when you are in New Orleans. The breakfast was satisfying with a nice variety. The location was a fair walk to the convention center and downtown but the trolley was great. We had no problems getting to where we needed. The price is hard to beat especially if you have a car with you. We would stay there again for sure if we go again. And I sure hope we do! Thanks for the great time!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at Fairchild House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 2, 2011
Thanks for the review. We enjoyed having you here too. Hope to see you next time.
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

The Fairchild House far exceeded my expectations. The room and common areas were charming and well maintained. Off-street parking in behind a locked gate was free, as was breakfast. The bathroom was updated; a new Friedrich air conditioner provided perfect climate control. There was a coffee pot and fridge in the room, as well as period furniture. During the French Quarter Festival, mediocre downtown hotels were charging $200 a night, but my quiet and comfortable room at the Fairchild House was only $79. The St. Charles streetcar to downtown is only a block away, as are numerous restaurants. After all the commotion of the French Quarter, I really enjoyed coming back to the peace, quiet, and comfort of the Fairchild House. It is not fancy, but if you would enjoy being an overnight guest in a friend's lovingly restored period home, it can't be beat.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Yeah, it sure is nice to go to the Quarter for the day and get back to peace in the evening. It was nice to have you here too. I also like the picture you took of the house! Thanks for taking the time to review the Fairchild House.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed three nights at the Fairchild House B&B while attending a wedding, and we were delighted both with the accommodations and the warm hospitality of the owner/manager, Beatriz. Our room (#12) was clean, charming, and comfortable with high ceilings. Beatriz went out of her way to assist in the delivery and return of my tuxedo rental and ensure that we had a wonderful stay. She is also very knowledgeable about the French Quarter and surrounding area. The hotel's location (in the Garden District) is excellent in that it is quiet and only one block from the Charles Street street car stop. We much enjoyed taking the street car to and from the French Quarter each day. We also took the street car to Audubon Park and enjoyed seeing the stately homes and magnificent live oak trees of the Garden District.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
We loved having you two here with us . You guys looked great dressed up for that wedding. Thanks for the great review and we hope to see you again in the future. Jus a note, we are in the Lower Garden District.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

I stayed here because I was attending a convention and didn't want to spend $200 a night at the hotels recommended by the convention organisers. I stayed in one of the smallest rooms, no. 5, overlooking the quiet side street, which is fine for one person, would be a little cramped for two, though there are nice seating areas inside and outside. The convention centre is a 20 min walk, the only drawback was that I tended to meet up with people in the evening in the commercial or French quarter, and needed a taxi back. Breakfast is good, wifi free, and the owners very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Photos on website
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
You were a busy bee! We only saw you at Breakfast. Thanks for the review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Fairchild House.
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

I will say right off that I don't like staying in large convention hotels and that I am somewhat a cheapskate when it comes to places to stay, saving my money for restaurants. For that reason I liked this place. The staff actually got up 45 minutes earlier than their posted time in order to get the very nice breakfast ready in time for me to make it to my morning meetings at the convention center (which i walked to - it is about 15-20 minutes away by foot). Those used to glitzy re-dos of historic buildings, with a lot of spit and polish should probably not go here, but I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
We are happy to get the breakfast out earlier to guests in town for meetings or conventions. You can't go hungry! Thanks for the taking the time to review the Fairchild House.
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

I stayed at the Fairchild House on March 2nd for two nights with my wife. We booked the one bedroom suite which is on the 2nd floor of the 1518 address (they have 2 houses side-by-side). The room has 3 floor to ceiling windows that open onto the balcony facing the street. If you’re a light sleeper then the continuous street traffic, especially during Mardi Gras season, might be an issue. The big King bed was comfy. We didn’t need to use the AC units nor was the small sitting room used much, but it did have an old TV and 2 chairs. The bathroom was small and shower stall adequate. You have to keep in mind that the place was built in 1841, so if you like old homes you’ll like this one.

There is a small gated parking area off the side street which holds 3 cars easily. Parking is included. A simple breakfast of fruit, muffins, juice and coffee is included and served from 8:30am to 9:30am each morning.

The Fairchild B&B is about 5 blocks from Lee Circle and 1 block off St. Charles. You can hop on the street car for $1.25 each way (exact change needed) to ride to Canal Street and the French Quarter. We were also able to grab a couple chairs from the balcony to watch the evening Mardi Gras parades on St. Charles Street.

We were able to grab 2 nights in the Suite for only $50/night using Groupon. I think these rooms usually run $169/night. Walking around the lower Garden District was nice, but if you want food you’re going to have to either drive or take the street car. It was a good deal compared to hotel prices closer to the Quarter, but I don’t think I’d return without a Groupon deal. For similar prices you can stay in the Quarter and still have off-street secure parking and a simple breakfast. Consider the Dauphine Orleans among others.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Fairchild House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Thank you for your review. I appreciate the time you have taken to review your stay at the Fairchild House. However, I do want to reply to a few comments that you made regarding the property and the neighborhood.

1) We have been here for 19 years as a B&B and the noise level from the street has not been an issue. I would certainly say that if you are an extra light sleeper, this is not the room for you. The suite faces Prtyania Street and there is plenty of activity during the day, but it is not a busy street with cars at night. I venture to say the noise level in the Quarter is pretty high too during Mardi Gras.

2) You make it sound like the television is old and falling apart. It is an old model tv that is in terrific condition both the physical look of the unit and the quality of the tv. It is not a flat screen tv.

3) The parking lot can accommodate 6-7 cars depending on size. We also have 2 spots in the front driveway. If we are at full capacity of cars we keep guests keys so we can move cars around. This is a rare occurence.

4) Breakfast consists of assorted breads such as bagels, english muffins and toast, coffee cake or muffins, juice, coffee, tea, fresh fruits, cold and hot cereal.

5) The St. Charles Streetcar, Canal Street Streetcar, Riverfront Street car and all buses in the city of New Orleans have changed to a paying system which does not require you to have exact change. If you put more money in the machine it will give you a card with the change. Of course you can only us this on the transit system. You can also purchase day passes on the Streetcars and buses.

6) I am always happy to hear people enjoy walking around the Lower Garden District . However, your missed out on all the restaurants by us. The Blue Plate on the 1300 block of Prytania, Voodoo BBQ, Slice Pizzeria, Zea's on the 1500 block of St.Charles, Emeril's Delmonico on the 1300 block of St. Charles, St. Charles tavern and Miyako on the 1400 block of St.Charles, Hoshun and Little Tokyon on the 1600 block of St. Charles. There are numerous others within just another blcok or so. Also, Magazine Street is about about 8 blocks from us and is full of fun restaurants and shops.

7)The rate on the Suite is $149 in season and $129 off season. For similar prices you can stay at the Dauphine Orleans during some weekdays plus you can pay $30 or more for parking. I did not see any similar prices for them during the weekends is season. Just because you get some similar prices does not mean you get similar experiences. I am not familiar with the Dauphine Orleans, but I can tell from the website it does not have anything to do with us.

If you come to New Orleans and you think all there is to do is be in the Quarter then you have completely missed out on what this city has to offer. I LOVE THE FRENCH QUARTER! However, I also LOVE the other neighbohoods in this city. Each one is special in its own way.

I will never please everyone that stays here. I will always try to please them and find out how I can improve. I can tell you that during those 2 days you were here 6 out of 9 rooms staying here were all return guests who have been here more than 5 times.

Been to Fairchild House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!