“An intimate hotel and a pleasant stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Prytania Oaks Hotel

Save Saved
You added Prytania Oaks Hotel to your Saves list
Prytania Oaks Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1612 Prytania Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Lower Garden District)   |
Ranked #60 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Pensacola
“An intimate hotel and a pleasant stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2010

My husband and I opted to spend our 41st anniversary in New Orleans. We had visited NO (staying in the Quarter) frequently in the past but had not been back since Katrina. Also for the last 10-15 years we have travleled mostly in our motorhome so hotel/motel experience was infrequent. We decided to try the Garden District for a change; also the rates were more reasonable and felt it would be safer to park our car--at no expense. We stayed in a 2nd floor suite open to balcony; the room was obviously newly refurbished and very clean. The weather was moderate so heating/cooling was not an issue. We had easy access to the Quarter (both driving and by trolley) and would be happy to stay there another time. The neighborhood was quiet and traffic was light.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

155 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
AR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2009

There were record temperatures in NOLA when we were there in October. Instead of staying in a "chain" hotel like we normally do we decided to try something different this trip. Based on excellent reviews and special pricing and proxcimity to the street car line we opted for the Prytania Oaks. The air conditioning didn't work. We tried 2 different rooms. Neither one cooled off until the wee hours of the morning. The room we didn't stay in had a broken air conditioner. The other one had an air conditioner that was working according to the staff. We found out our last night that the problem was the hotel is on a water chill loop system. I dont' know whether it just couldn't handle the heat and humidity or whethr it had a central control (we were assured each room was on it's on control). My experience (from a past job) with a chill water system is that often it is controled from a central source. The staff was accomadating - however, there wasn't enough staff available. Only one person on duty to man the desk and take care of 3 small hotels located within a 2 block area.. Basic cleaning was good but there was quite a bit of dust. The rooms are small but to be expected in a house converted into a hotel. The hotel is only a block off St Charles and is being renovated house by house but there are still a number of houses within the block that are very run down. I do not recommend staying here when it is hot unless they have changed the air conditioning system.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hotels3, General Manager at Prytania Oaks Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2009
I am truly sorry the guest was uncomfortable, but there are some facts that were explained to the guests that were left out of their review that will clarify the issue.

The building was built in the 1840's. The ceilings are 12-14 ft, with original crown moulding and lighting medillions. Original tile hearths and mantels around the fireplaces. Original Red Pine Hardwood floors restored. This was a million dollar renovation. We were able to turn the property into 16 beautiful rooms. The building they were in has 12 of the 16 rooms.

Due to the design of the building, there was no way to put in central a/c and heat without compromising the historic preservation to the building. Since that was something we did not want to jepordize, we opted for the Chiller System approach . We are preservationists.

By the way, this chiller system approach is actually how most major chain high rise hotels cool and heat their properties. It is a much more energy efficient and cost effective, which allows us, an independent privately owned hotel, to keep our rates competitive to the major chain hotels.

Each room is individually thermostated. Due to economics, each unit is turned off when not occupied, and turned on the afternoon of arrival. We turn the units on typically around check in time, 4 pm. The power of the chiller system allows the room to cool off very quickly given the outside temperature and high ceilings.

The week of the guests stay, the deep south was under an extreme heat index advisory which was more the weather we experience in July and August. It was quite unusual and everyone who checked in that week talked about it during registration.

The guest checked in approx 5:30 pm to a 2nd floor room, which had been occupied for several days prior. It is an unfortunate fact is we did not know until they checked in was that the thermostate to that room malfunctioned and was not operting at its fullest capicity. Being a limited service hotel, we do not have 24 hour maintenance unless its an emergency. This was not considered an emergency as we had another room to move them to.

We explained that we would have it the A/C tech out there 1st thing in the morning to correct and offered them to room move if they would like. All the rooms have ceiling fans for those who do not like A/C. As we were close to selling out and had only a few rooms we could have moved them too. At 6:08 pm, they moved to another room on the 1st floor.

That room was not assigned to occupy, so the A/C was not previously turned on. We explained this to them, and suggested they go out to dinner, and by the time they came back, it would be cool.

At just after 8pm, they returned and decided they did not want to be on the 1st floor, that they liked the 2nd floor room better. It was a bit bigger in size.

It was their option to move back to the room that had no cooling capicity other than the ceiling fan. We did have our techs there 1st thing in the morning, and the thermostat was replaced and all system checks were done to verify the A/C was working and cooling off the room.

Since then, we have had only 1 other room with a malfunctioning thermostat. Just like in private homes, equipment breaks without notice. All you can do is fix it as quickly as you can and try to accomodate the guests to the best of our ability, to which we did.
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

My husband and I had the toughest time, in locating a reasonably rated hotel, during such a busy time in NOLA, (July 4, 2009). Not only was it a holiday weekend but also the time of the Essence Festival. Those hotels that weren't fully booked were superinflated!!

Well, while surfing the net, I stumbled upon "Bookit.com". I had honestly, not ever heard of this site but man-oh-mah, I'm so glad that I was led to it, (of course, by the Holy Spirit). We were able to book our air/hotel and car accommodations, at one time and the cost was unbelievable. When I saw the price of "The Prytania Oaks Hotel", I was really sceptical, for it seemed to good to be true.

Fortunately, I have family in New Orleans, (it's my birthplace), so one of my sisters and my eldest daughter, both were able to go to the hotel and check it out. They know that I rank cleanliness above all else and both delivered very favorable comments. So, I felt confident in my selection of this hotel.

You know, how sometimes pictures can be deceiving? Well, not with this one. In fact, the room we stayed in looks EXACTLY like one pictured here. It was so nice and I felt as though we weren't staying in a hotel at all, but with family. Actually, we didn't spend much time with the service people, but the front desk ladies were very hospitable. One checks in at the front desk of The Prytania Hotel, which is just around the corner, from The Prytania Oaks Hotel. I'm told the former is like a regular hotel but the latter, has more of a B & B feel to it.

Our room had a king-size bed, (just like the one that's pictured); beautiful wood floors and armoire; a flat-screen t.v.; marble tile in the bathroom...beautiful high ceilings and ceiling fan; a fireplace, (which appeared to be the original one)...everything was just as pictured. Even with the king-size bed, the bedroom and dressing area was very spacious and I loved the bathroom!

I guess one can say that The Prytania Oaks has a modernized/19th century feel and a Howard Johnson's mentality..."No surprises". What you see, pictured here, is what you get...and that's a lot!!

Everything was so nice and clean, (just the way I like it), that I made sure I cleaned behind my husband, each day we were there...so the service people literally had nothing to do but change the linen on the bed; exchange the soiled towels for clean ones and then do (very) minimal cleaning. I made sure our room looked as though no one was even staying there, (lol) and had we not had any service, the entire time we were there, it really would've been fine...that's just how clean it was and I kept it that way.

We already had plans, so we really didn't get a chance to do anything in that neighborhood but the next time we're there...which will probably be in September 2009, we'll do the Delmonicos (Emeril's) thing and ride the street car. The neighborhood is a wonderful one and very typical of the pre-Katrina New Orleans that we knew and loved.

The next time we're there, we plan to tour the "Queen Anne" hotel, which is adjacent to "The Prytania Oaks". I understand, either the 'Oaks' or The Queen Anne has accommodations for up to 8, which would be ideal, for when we have all our children and grandbabies with us. Also, I hope to arrive, earlier in September, so we can get a room with a balcony!!

So, if you're looking for a nice, clean place to stay...away from all the traffic of downtown and the Quarters, yet accessible to local/public transportation, while yet being able to enjoy the flavor of the immediate surroundings, try "The Prytania Oaks Hotel"...you won't regret it!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Prytania Oaks Hotel? Share your experiences!