“A very nice downtown experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection

Save Saved
You added Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection to your Saves list
Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   115 Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Club La Pension) (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #66 of 153 Hotels in New Orleans
Seeley Lake, Montana
“A very nice downtown experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Stayed on 3rd floor. The room was a 1 bedroom suite with a large living area and pull out sofa bed. Had a compact kitchen and nice large walk-in shower in bathroom. Other reviewers had commented on not having bath essentials, even towels in rooms, so we packed our own. The room had everything we needed so it was unnecessary to pack the extra items, but better safe than sorry. Location, location, location! If you want a downtown experience this fits the bill. Walking distance to everything. The noise level can be loud in the hall as I slept on the sofa bed. I brought earplugs based on other reviewers comments and slept well using them. You could also tuck a towel at the bottom of the door leading to the hall and that helps. You are in New Orleans so you have to expect noise. There is a very nice balcony on the 4th floor with a couple of bean bag games, table and chairs and a view of the street when you look over the brick wall. Because it is downtown and the streets are narrow they have valet parking only. The cost is $35.00. Be sure to add this into your stay. We were able to check out in the morning and pick our vehicle up later that afternoon without any additional charge. There is no swimming pool or restaurant on premises. Restaurants are however within a block walking distance.

Room Tip: t any additional charge.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Hello Deena S,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Club La Pension. We are happy you enjoyed the location and had a very nice experience. We are glad you had everything you needed in the room. We hope you will consider returning on your next visit to New Orleans.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ft. Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

To start, the hotel has a fun, quirky feel and is in a great location, close enough to walk everywhere but far enough away that you aren't bombarded with noise. The artwork, furniture, and general look of the hotel is great. My entire group absolutely loved it. This is one of the cutest places I've stayed. And, the 7th floor balcony is wonderful.

My husband and I travel several times a year, around the US and abroad, and are pretty laid back and don't expect a lot. I understand that the hospitality industry can be a stressful one so I don't typically complain. Unfortunately, I experienced a few issues at this hotel.

This trip was a surprise 40th birthday, 3 night trip for my husband. Some friends of ours were coming as well. We booked our rooms months in advance and called to request balcony rooms or, at the very least, rooms near each other for the duration of our stay.

At check in, which took about 30 minutes, Bryan (?) was incredibly slow. (Maybe a new hire?) We learned that my husband and I were in a room on the 5th floor and our friends were in a room on the 3rd floor. We asked again to be close together but were told there was nothing that could be done. While this wasn't a huge deal, the elevator situation is a little strange and we had to get off at the 3rd floor, walk to another elevator, and then head to the 5th floor. Still, we were just sleeping here so it wasn't a massive issue.

The big issue came on the night before we were headed home. We were out late, to be expected, and returned to the hotel just before 2 am. Our key card wouldn't open our door so we headed back down to the front desk. The woman working reset our key and sent us back to our room. The key didn't work again so we went back downstairs. At this point, I was getting slightly annoyed. We spoke with the woman working and she was nice but very confused as to what to do. Apparently, there is a battery inside the door lock that needed to be changed. She told us that she would have to call maintenance but that they wouldn't be able to come until the next day and she asked if we would mind sleeping on the pull out couch in our friends' room. (I thought this was weird and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't just put us in another room for the night.)

I let the woman know that we were checking out the next day so she made another call and had the maintenance man come out that night to change the battery in our door lock. (At this point, we were also told that a manager would speak to us the next day and would do something to acknowledge this issue and make it right.) While we were waiting, we headed to our friends' room, and we then got a call that the security guard used a key to get into our room from the room next door to it so we headed back up to our room where we waited for the maintenance man. He came, changed the battery, and was very nice but still, it was after 3 am at this point and I wanted to be in bed.

Once the battery was changed, I called the front desk and asked for a later check out time and was told we could have until 11 am. The next morning, I got a call at 10:15 letting me know that I was late for check out. After everything that had happened the night before, this seriously annoyed me.

I got the check out time corrected so we finished packing and headed downstairs where we watched Bryan (?) at the front desk get key cards ready for incoming guests for about 10 minutes before we were acknowledged and checked out. I told him that we were supposed to speak to a manager before we checked out but he said nothing was notated about that and nobody was available so that was that and we requested a taxi and then headed to the airport.

I have been home for a week now and nobody has reached out to me, which is pretty disappointing.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Crazy_Me_35,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Club La Pension. We are glad you were pleased with our location and quirky décor. We are committed to providing helpful and efficient customer service. We appreciate the feedback you have provided and would like to follow up with you at your convenience. Please contact us at info@bluegreenvacations.com. Thank you.
Marion, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We were there for French Qtr. Fest - we stayed in a 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath that was much more than we expected. We had friends with us and the accomadations were plenty large enough for 4 adults. We had a great kitchen area with eating area. Thanks to Charlmayne at front desk for being so helpful with anything we needed. We will diffinently go back again!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: High floor if street side, unless you want balcony. Rooms on alley may be a little quieter -
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Hello Cathy S,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Club La Pension. We are delighted your stay exceeded your expectations. We are happy you were impressed with our condo-style accommodations and staff. We look forward to your return!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I love what's unique so this little hotel was perfect for me. I got here late at night and the security guard was really nice and helpful. Each room has unique pieces of art from local artists and I like the idea of supporting artists so that is another bonus point for them. You get a living room and a kitchenette, the bedroom was a good size with a big closet. Everything is super clean and newly renovated, you can easily walk to nearby attractions, it is located just behind the Marriott hotel on Canal street where you can get taxis easily. I would stay here again. Just one thing though… you can ask to not have a room right across from the elevator.

Room Tip: Because there is a living room between the door and the bedroom it was not so bad otherwise you hear...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello Lise J,

We are thrilled you were impressed with the unique qualities of Club La Pension. We are happy our staff was friendly and helpful and that our condo-style accommodations were clean and spacious. We are glad our location was a convenience. Thank you for your feedback, and we hope to have you back soon!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We had an opportunity to stay here in October 2012, they had just remodeled, and what a nice job they did! We stayed in a 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath apartment. It had all the amenities that one would want in this type of accommodation. We were staying for the Endless Night ball, something no one should miss for Halloween in NOLA. The front desk was very accommodating and even let us print boarding passes no problem. You can walk everywhere you'd want to be from here. Will stay again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Hello vermillion66,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at Club La Pension. We are pleased you enjoyed the renovations, accommodations, and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We made our reservation and paid in full for 3 days, about 3 months in advance of French Quarter Festival. The rate we paid was comparable to what we would have paid for a hotel room, and for the same price, we got a living room, kitchenette, huge bathroom, and bedroom.

We checked in on Friday, April 11th. The lobby is very charming and the staff is friendly and helpful. We were assigned to room 413, and got a porter to help with the bags. When I opened the door to the room, I was startled to see a woman sitting on the couch (and she was startled to see me!). Obviously, we had been assigned to a room that was already being used. It took about 1/2 hour to get this issue resolved, and we were put in room 401.

I can't say enough wonderful things about the unit. Absolutely perfect! We were traveling with ou 21 year old granddaughter and wanted a place that was unique and funky as our granddaughter is very artistic. Our unit was perfect. Granddaughter had the living room with a fold out sofa, cute chandelier, a storage unit designed like a bank safe, and a painted chair hanging upside down from the ceiling. The bathroom was the nicest I have ever been in while traveling, with a huge shower and plenty of towels for all 3 of us. Our bedroom was very nice with plenty of storage and a flat screen tv. The kitchen had a microwave and small fridge, and was completely stocked with dishes, utensils, etc (but who eats in while in NOLA?)..the 4th floor deck was literally steps from our door and we enjoyed spending a little time out there. There was also a soda machine and ice machine by the deck. We never had any issues with noise at all.

Our only complaint is the billing issue. Our room was paid in full well in advance, no problem there. But we did need parking, which is $35 per night, so that was a total of $105. When we checked in, we were told that there was a $100 'incidental' fee which is held against the credit card until checkout. That's fine, we know that most hotels do that. However, we wound up with $315 being held against our card. When we checked out, I tried to straighten it out, and couldn't really get an answer as to how we could be charged $315, when parking was $105 and there was a $100 incidental hold. The clerk did say that all charges would be dropped except for the $105 parking fee. We were still in New Orleans (at a different hotel) for three more days, and on Wednesday, two full days after we checked out of Club La Pension, there was still a hold for the full amount on my credit card, so I went back to discuss it with them. The manager finally came out and tried to explain it to me and they even called my bank to tell my bank to release the hold, which I appreciate - although it wasn't that I needed the money back in my account, the big issue was that I still didn't understand how a parking fee of $105 and an incidental hold of $100 could result in $315 being 'held'. The manager explained it, or tried to, and everything is correct in my account now, but it still seems very confusing. If you run your account low, this could be a problem when you have a lot of money being 'held' and taking several days to be released.

In spite of this, we would definitely stay here again because the unit was in my opinion, about the most perfect play we have ever stayed, and the staff was very nice and helpful. I would have given a 5 star rating, except for the issue of being put in the wrong room and the billing issue. But for accommodations, definitely 5 stars.

Room Tip: We had room 401 and loved it. No noise issues as there are only two rooms in this area. The elevat...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hello jlr51,

Thank you for staying at Club La Pension. We are delighted you found our lobby charming and our staff friendly and helpful. We apologize for the room assignment mix up but are thrilled you were so pleased with the end result! We appreciate your generous compliments about our condo-style accommodations, along with your feedback regarding the billing issue you encountered. We thank you for bringing this to our attention and will certainly be looking further into this to prevent confusion among other guests. We hope you will consider returning soon!
Copperas Cove, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

we are owners of BlueGreen and thought this was going to be a great stay, but boy was I wrong. Made two different reservations (extended a stay) and the front desk didn't know what was going on. They had to charge my card two separate times, argued with me at checkout as to which room I was checking out of. I know it was NOLA but I know what room door I keep opening. HAd a bulb break late at night, while the kids were in the bathroom, maintenance came up immediately, but what concerned me was that housekeeping didn't come the next day to make sure all the glass was up. Living room is REALLY small, and lord forbid you want to watch tv in there, cuz the walls are like paper. The rooms are not all in the same location as the front desk, have to walk EVEN IN THE RAIN. Also the room pix are incorrect, only the 4th floor rooms have balconys. Won't stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
BluegreenCares, Manager at Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Hello bsrsunshine,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Club La Pension. Our goal is to share happiness with all of owners and guests. We regret to learn of your disappointment in your stay. We kindly ask that you contact us at info@bluegreenvacations.com if you wish to provide additional details or to discuss further. Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection

Address: 115 Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Club La Pension)
Location: United States > Louisiana > New Orleans > Central Business District
Free High Speed Internet ( Wi-Fi )
#41 Family Hotel in New Orleans
#51 Romantic Hotel in New Orleans
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Tingo, Priceline, Hotels.com, Choice Hotels, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Club La Pension Hotel New Orleans

If you own or manage Bluegreen Vacations Club La Pension, Ascend Resort Collection, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.