“Odd Room Layout” 4 of 5 stars
Review of AC Hotel New Orleans Bourbon (French Quarter Area)

You added AC Hotel New Orleans Bourbon (French Quarter Area) to your Saves list
AC Hotel New Orleans Bourbon (French Quarter Area)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   221 Carondelet Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 (Formerly Cotton Exchange Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #57 of 155 Hotels in New Orleans
Peoria, Illinois
“Odd Room Layout”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Chose this room because it was walking distance to the French Quarter and just off the streetcar line. It appears Marriott is trying to bring some European flair to this American property, yet they chose to bring some of the European features that don't need imported. For instance, the bathroom door is lightly frosted glass. And it doesn't shut properly, it swings, both out and in. This affords a minimal amount of privacy. This might be fine for a single traveler or even a young couple but it is a strange choice in a room with two double beds. Also, the beds are on a part of the room raised above the door and bathroom. One edge of one bed is up against two stairs. Aesthetically fine, but in the middle of the night, not so pleasant to wake up teetering over the steps in the dark. I may stay again, but I'd ask for a room without the raised feature. I also wouldn't ask the staff for any restaurant recommendations. The doorman sent us to a tourist trap in the French Quarter that made us really regret that bathroom's lack of privacy the first night. He must get a kickback to send people there. There is a lovely crepe and coffee shop right around the corner that serves a good breakfast in the mornings. (He didn't point us there. We found it on our own.)

Room Tip: Ask about the layout of the room. Also, we had a view of a brick wall and some rooms overlook the i...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We visited this hotel during a weekends stay with some friends. The front entrance was under construction but valet was very helpful. The decor is super modern and clean. The room was small and not a lot of storage but I didn't need it since I was there just over the weekend. Loved that It was very centrally located. Bourbon St. is a few blocks away and so is canal so we never actually took a cab. The only thing I did not like was that our room faced the front of the hotel and the street noise is very loud. The trolly car passes right in front of the hotel so that combined with fire trucks and beeping cars made for noisy morning. But not sure the hotel could have done anything different. I would stay again but just ask for a room in the rear or facing the back of the hotel. Staff was friendly and great and they have a nice bar onsite.

Room Tip: Request the rooms not facing the main road or the entrance street.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Just stayed three nights attending my first Jazz fest. My wife and I loved the hotel. Checked in with Dwayne and he went out of his way to get us acquainted with the property and the area. The room decor was awesome. Didn't want to leave the room. Spotless clean, great staff and perfect location. Just a block across Canal to French Quarter. Our friends stayed at a Four Points Sheraton in the middle of Bourbon street. No comparison. Their room was so small, older and in need of an upgrade. They loved visiting the AC and we met in our room each night for before dinner cocktails. GM, Melissa instantly responded to my email questions prior to arrival. Cassie does a great job in the very cool bar area. I Love NOLA and it's even better when your hotel blows away all expectations.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Very new and European-style. The lobby and breakfast room are beautiful, and my room had hardwood floors. The staff was pleasant and competent. The breakfast, (which was 14.00 extra) was wonderful. It was a European style cold buffet with all of the prosciutto you can eat. You can slice your own prosciutto!

My room did not have a bathtub, but a very, very fancy shower. I do not know if they offer baths in other rooms. The Internet was free and worked well. There was also a coffeemaker, including the little creamers instead of the powdery stuff.

It isn't actually in the French Quarter, but two blocks away. And technically it's not on Bourbon street, because the street changes names at Canal Street.Be careful because right nearby, the streets aren't well lit when walking after dark to and from the hotel.

I would definitely go back again!

Room Tip: If you want a room with a bathtub, I would ask. I don't know if they even have rooms with batht...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Rochford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Arrived to find no record of our pre-paid reservation.Gave reception the contact number,they said it did not connect.Had to use my Credit Card to get the room on the assurance it would not be charged once mix up sorted.Rang the same number myself next morning, got straight through to Hotelbeds .com they contacted the hotel and reception assured me prepayment had been allocated to my account.When we went to check out 4 days later there was still an amount outstanding including 6 breakfasts that we had not had-we were not even told by the reception that breakfast was available! After bringing the lady from the breakfast room to confirm that she had never seen us, they deducted them from the bill and again assured me that I would not be charged-but I was.When I complained to Marriott UK the hotel refunded my money only to charge it again 5 days later. It has taken 14 e-mails to sort it out .Administration is hopeless!!
Hotel is in a great position just a block from Canal and opposite Bourbon.Rooms are very clean but lack any character.Housekeeping was poor-our bed was not made on two occasions and we never received a full set of towels.Then there was the street noise-The streetcars run all night and sound like someone is rolling metal trash cans down the street.We were on the second floor and with no double glazing the noise was very,very loud.All in all a woeful visit, we would not recommend this hotel if you are a light sleeper and we certainly will not go there again. .

Room Tip: try a room at the back -no view but it has to be quieter and check your bill carefully
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
MJKennedy221, General Manager at AC Hotel New Orleans Bourbon (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. All your comments areessential to educating our staff about good and bad service. We will ensure your feedback will be given to all. Furthermore, I will personally supervise that all your other complaints are addressed that everything will be in order on your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back then.
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Staff was very nice. Hotel lobby was noisy at night becaus of DJ with music and hotel bar. I asked for a room with a window facing the street and on a higher floor. I was given my choice. My room was also at the far end of the building away from the lobby. The rom was very quiet.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, ask for a room like mine.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My laptop was stolen by housekeeping and the management is either covering up and complicit in the crime or they just don't care. There were long lines at check-in and the guests were just a big bother.
It is not safe.

Room Tip: go to another hotel!
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
MJKennedy221, Manager at AC Hotel New Orleans Bourbon (French Quarter Area), responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Tom,
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such candid feedback of your stay. I am very sorry to hear that your stay did not meet expectations. I know that we have been in contact with you and I will continue to assist with resolving your issue. I can assure you that this is an isolated incident regarding your lost items. Thank you.

Been to AC Hotel New Orleans Bourbon (French Quarter Area)? Share your experiences!