“Classic Shabby Chic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau Orleans

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Orleans
Chateau Orleans
Save Saved
You added Chateau Orleans to your Saves list
240 Burgundy, New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #105 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Classic Shabby Chic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Needing some down time with every conceivable distraction and food within walking distance. I needed a breather before starting the fall semester and this place was just perfect. Small (but perfect for one), not overly priced but it didn't need to be - character was more than enough!

Room Tip: I stayed in the "Sugar Bowl", little spiral staircase up and everything that made it comfo...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We arrived over four hours early, but we were allowed to leave our luggage at the resort while our unit was being readied. Paul, the manager, suggested that we visit Deanie's Seafood for lunch. It was very close to the resort and was quite reasonable. After spending a little time discovering other French Quarter points of interests (all of which are within walking distance), we returned to the resort, still about an hour early. We were presented with our room keys and went straight to our townhouse. We entered the lovely courtyard as Pepe helped with the luggage during a downpour and showed us which unit was ours. We were very pleasantly surprised when we saw the house's exterior. The inside was very nice, too, although the bathroom sink is chipped, one of the mirrored closet doors is cracked at the bottom, the other closet door is not on a track, and the night stand has stains/water marks. Still, the unit was clean. I loved the raised ceiling in the bedroom and all of the New Orleans-themed artwork throughout the house. There was even a piano! We were not able to pick up WiFi in the townhouse and had to go out to the courtyard to connect to it.

At first we thought that the manager, Paul, was less than friendly, but we were wrong. Paul was very accommodating and kind toward us. He, Jolene, and Cliff went out of their ways to welcome us and help us with anything we needed-- including pointing us toward restaurants where the locals eat. At every other resort at which we've stayed, housekeeping came in once (or not at all) during the week unless there was a problem. Jolene was there nearly every day, not only keeping everything tidy, but answering our many, many questions. Paul arranged for Pepe's taxi to pick us up well after check-out time (as our flight did not leave until after four) and offered to keep our bags at the resort should we wish to visit the Quarter one final day, but we decided to stay by the pool instead.

We'd certainly stay at Chateau Orleans again. In fact, we didn't want to leave!

Room Tip: Our unit was a lovely brick townhouse. We've been exchanging our timeshare for seven years, and...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

For the price this was a very good place to stay. The location is just a block from everything you could ever want. The room was a little small and the ac didnt work like i would of liked it to but i also am a polar bear so i just bought a fan and that helped a lot. The staff was great and very helpful. The balcony was a really nice touch as well. Didnt get a chance to get in the pool but it looked nice and clean.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

7/10/2014

**** MICE!!! MICE!!! MICE!!! *** **** MICE!!! MICE!!! MICE!!! ***

**** DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL unless you like MICE ****

OMG, you DO NOT want to spend your vacation like we did!!!! 7/7/14, we spotted a MOUSE and one of us ran and got some help while the other babysit where the mouse was going (OMG)! The office isn't staffed after 8 p.m. so I got the answering service who told me they'd send someone tomorrow (oh NO WAY sister). I told her to get the owner or manager because we were NOT sleeping with a mouse. Called back and she told me they couldn't do anything and finally she radioed (I think) to the manager (whom I think is the owner in disguise) that we were NOT having that and were irate! He then told her where some spare keys were to another unit. Our help moved us to another ground unit floor and after about two hours of settling down on 7/7/14 (and all the lights on) I saw a flash of another MOUSE and thought I was loosing my mind. I screamed and doubted what turned out to be yet another MOUSE on the next day 7/8/14. This time, I saw it run across the floor and the MOUSE was trying to go into a whole under the encased refrigerator and my scream made it panic OMG. The person I went with said she saw traps outside in the courtyard (ok I understand them on the OUTSIDE - kind of) and in the closet of the second unit (OH HECKIE NO!!). Had I known that, I would have asked to be moved to another unit right away since that tells me YOU KNOW MICE are there too. Seeing the MOUSE traps coupled with the manager (owner?) on duty "nonchalant" attitude and insulting response of "I ain't never had any complaints about mice" - didn't line up with him saying "well, I can move you to another unit on a higher floor" and the fact that there are TRAPS in the closet!!! So, we moved to another unit off the ground floor in the main building, barely slept, and again slept with all the lights on. The internet / router connection is spotty and generally only good in the main building. There was also another person we met who wasn't aware that to get to her 5th floor room in another building meant she'd have to walk up/down since there wasn't an elevator. The manager (owner) told her that he emailed her - but apparently she missed it. I personally wouldn't want to have to walk/up down five flights with luggage or after dining/drinking each and every time I come in or out of my room. She too moved from that building to the main building with the elevator two days before she is to leave. We were having a wonderful time, and still did when we were NOT in the MOUSE TRAP room since we weren't on MOUSE watch or MOUSE fear. I WOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER recommend to anyone to take their family/children to a vacation location or facility that has RODENTS. In addition, I would never recommend this place given that the owners know of the MICE (infestation?) and only offer to MOVE you instead of addressing this issue. So far, the manager never offered a sincere heartfelt apology or compensation (reduce the charge for the MOUSE days/moves), and insulted our intelligence by stating "he'd never had any complaints" while knowing full well he had "MOUSE traps" in the closet. This was our first time staying in a chateau and did so because of the kitchenette and that we were staying longer than our normal 3-4 days. The pullout sofa in the first unit was old and uncomfortable and would not work for adults. SKIP THIS SPOT... please...

Room Tip: skip it .. skip it ..
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Reno Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Just spent a week as a time share exchange. I usually drop my standards some with time shares and this property requires the same (I wouldn't stay here just as a hotel). While the location is very good in the quarter and the pool and courtyard are way above average, nothing else is run very well. Staff is only there 9-5 which isn't very customer friendly. In the main building, the walls are paper thin and there was no one to intervene when there was loud singing and talking after midnight. We had to resort to pounding on the floor! Supposedly there is maid service every day but Sunday but it was spotty and irregular. Our "Two bedroom" unit was really a one bedroom with an open loft with no privacy. This doesn't have to be a problem--we just wish we had been forewarned. The lighting is extremely poor which was a problem since we had an inside room without a balcony. They offer coffee in the morning but since no one gets there before 9 am, it was useless to us most mornings since we took advantage of morning hours before the town got too swampy. New Orleans casts its magic no matter what the room is like. There are signs around the property that they are upgrading but we didn't see any sign of it. Fair time share exchange or otherwise look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the outside cottages
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel in a perfect spot to walk to all the main attractions, but quiet street away from all the noise. Friendly staff, and gorgeous pool and patio to relax by, but some rooms are small and dark, and if curtains are open give little privacy from other guests. Would highly recommend staying here.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

great Staff and wonderful people beautiful rooms and lovely courtyard/super comfortable room and Bed ! we are on the bottom floor had astraight walk out to the courtyard a little bit noisy from street noise but worth the comfort

Room Tip: try to get a lower room you can walk out into the courtyard
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Chateau Orleans? Share your experiences!