“MICE MICE MICE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau Orleans

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Orleans
Prices are for rooms, adults
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

7/10/2014

**** MICE!!! MICE!!! MICE!!! *** **** MICE!!! MICE!!! MICE!!! ***

**** DO NOT GO TO THIS HOTEL unless you like MICE ****

OMG, you DO NOT want to spend your vacation like we did!!!! 7/7/14, we spotted a MOUSE and one of us ran and got some help while the other babysit where the mouse was going (OMG)! The office isn't staffed after 8 p.m. so I got the answering service who told me they'd send someone tomorrow (oh NO WAY sister). I told her to get the owner or manager because we were NOT sleeping with a mouse. Called back and she told me they couldn't do anything and finally she radioed (I think) to the manager (whom I think is the owner in disguise) that we were NOT having that and were irate! He then told her where some spare keys were to another unit. Our help moved us to another ground unit floor and after about two hours of settling down on 7/7/14 (and all the lights on) I saw a flash of another MOUSE and thought I was loosing my mind. I screamed and doubted what turned out to be yet another MOUSE on the next day 7/8/14. This time, I saw it run across the floor and the MOUSE was trying to go into a whole under the encased refrigerator and my scream made it panic OMG. The person I went with said she saw traps outside in the courtyard (ok I understand them on the OUTSIDE - kind of) and in the closet of the second unit (OH HECKIE NO!!). Had I known that, I would have asked to be moved to another unit right away since that tells me YOU KNOW MICE are there too. Seeing the MOUSE traps coupled with the manager (owner?) on duty "nonchalant" attitude and insulting response of "I ain't never had any complaints about mice" - didn't line up with him saying "well, I can move you to another unit on a higher floor" and the fact that there are TRAPS in the closet!!! So, we moved to another unit off the ground floor in the main building, barely slept, and again slept with all the lights on. The internet / router connection is spotty and generally only good in the main building. There was also another person we met who wasn't aware that to get to her 5th floor room in another building meant she'd have to walk up/down since there wasn't an elevator. The manager (owner) told her that he emailed her - but apparently she missed it. I personally wouldn't want to have to walk/up down five flights with luggage or after dining/drinking each and every time I come in or out of my room. She too moved from that building to the main building with the elevator two days before she is to leave. We were having a wonderful time, and still did when we were NOT in the MOUSE TRAP room since we weren't on MOUSE watch or MOUSE fear. I WOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER recommend to anyone to take their family/children to a vacation location or facility that has RODENTS. In addition, I would never recommend this place given that the owners know of the MICE (infestation?) and only offer to MOVE you instead of addressing this issue. So far, the manager never offered a sincere heartfelt apology or compensation (reduce the charge for the MOUSE days/moves), and insulted our intelligence by stating "he'd never had any complaints" while knowing full well he had "MOUSE traps" in the closet. This was our first time staying in a chateau and did so because of the kitchenette and that we were staying longer than our normal 3-4 days. The pullout sofa in the first unit was old and uncomfortable and would not work for adults. SKIP THIS SPOT... please...

Room Tip: skip it .. skip it ..
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reno Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Just spent a week as a time share exchange. I usually drop my standards some with time shares and this property requires the same (I wouldn't stay here just as a hotel). While the location is very good in the quarter and the pool and courtyard are way above average, nothing else is run very well. Staff is only there 9-5 which isn't very customer friendly. In the main building, the walls are paper thin and there was no one to intervene when there was loud singing and talking after midnight. We had to resort to pounding on the floor! Supposedly there is maid service every day but Sunday but it was spotty and irregular. Our "Two bedroom" unit was really a one bedroom with an open loft with no privacy. This doesn't have to be a problem--we just wish we had been forewarned. The lighting is extremely poor which was a problem since we had an inside room without a balcony. They offer coffee in the morning but since no one gets there before 9 am, it was useless to us most mornings since we took advantage of morning hours before the town got too swampy. New Orleans casts its magic no matter what the room is like. There are signs around the property that they are upgrading but we didn't see any sign of it. Fair time share exchange or otherwise look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the outside cottages
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel in a perfect spot to walk to all the main attractions, but quiet street away from all the noise. Friendly staff, and gorgeous pool and patio to relax by, but some rooms are small and dark, and if curtains are open give little privacy from other guests. Would highly recommend staying here.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

great Staff and wonderful people beautiful rooms and lovely courtyard/super comfortable room and Bed ! we are on the bottom floor had astraight walk out to the courtyard a little bit noisy from street noise but worth the comfort

Room Tip: try to get a lower room you can walk out into the courtyard
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Nutley, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We booked two rooms here and we were very pleased with them. They are in he process of remodeling. The bathroom and the carpeting needing updating, but everything else was fine. The bed was very comfortable. We were upgraded to a room with a balcony and it overlooked the very pretty courtyard and a beautiful pool, which was very clean. The location was on the end of the French Quarter close to Canal Street. It was quiet and close enough to walk to anywhere in the Quarter. The staff was very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the buildings with an elevator. Would not have wanted a ground floor room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Springfield, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Some friends had stayed here before so we tried it. With four of us staying in one unit, we had plenty of room. Our living room/kitchen was huge and our bedrooms were very adequate. The only downside was the spiral staircase up to the bedrooms and bathroom. It was very narrow and had many steps. Most other units did not have stairs. We had a complete kitchen, but who wants to cook when staying in the French Quarter? We did use the fridge, coffee maker, and glassware. We made our own coffee the first morning, but then we found that the manager prepared coffee and put it in the courtyard by eight o'clock. We really enjoyed sitting at the very nice table in the courtyard having coffee and later having wine or a cocktail. The manager was friendly and helpful with suggestions for dining and things to do. As with all places in the French Quarter, parking costs extra, but the price is very reasonable here. You do have to walk about two blocks to get to your car and you must park above level 5, and there's no elevator. The price varies for a room here depending on the occasion so check before you go.

Room Tip: There is a lot of variety here. If you can't climb a spiral staircase, you don't want that r...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
SGV, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

If you want to stay in the French Quarter but somewhat away from the loud noise, this is the place! charming B&B style, brick house, original wood floors. They are in the process of renovating many of the units, so some of them still have somewhat original equipment (bath, kitchenette, etc). If you are looking for a resort style stay, look else where. If you are down for small, quiet, CLEAN place, this is IT!

Staff is very friendly, gave lots of good advice of where to eat.

Parking is very expensive in the area, the resort offers parking but still cost $30 a day. I was told later, it doesn't cost much to get a taxi ride from the airport to French Quarters. Public transport (streetcar) is very easy and cheap. Plus, you can WALK all over the French Quarter.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Chateau Orleans? Share your experiences!