“Our reservation was "their mistake"” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau Orleans

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in New Orleans
Chateau Orleans
Save Saved
You added Chateau Orleans to your Saves list
240 Burgundy, New Orleans, LA 70112 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #105 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Staunton, Virginia
“Our reservation was "their mistake"”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

In March 2011 we booked a small suite (1 bedroom with a partial kitchen) at the Chateau Oleans for the week of February 8-15, 2013 (for Fat Tuesday / the conclusion of Mardi Gras). We had written confirmation of the booking nearly two years in advance. Last week, in late December, 2012 (only about 6 weeks before our long anticipated vacation) we were notified that Chateau Orleans had "made a mistake" and did not have accomodations for us. We have already purchased our airline tickets to travel from VA and are now left with no accomodations in New Orleans for the upcoming Mardi Gras. Chateau Orleans refuses to honor our written confirmation and have left us "high and dry" with nowhere to stay and no assistance except a lame "we're sorry for the mistake". It is our belief that Chateau Orleans cancelled our reservation in order to book other guests at a higher rate. The management at this resort seems to be totally lacking in integrity, empathy or any sense of responsibility for "their mistake". I cannot recommend taking a chance making a reservation with this hotel since based on our experience even your written reservation may or may not be reliable / honored. This is the most callous attitude I have ever encountered with a business in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

We arrived late at night and found that we did not have a key to o the 2nd floor room promised to us in the building with an elevator and instead had a 3rd floor walk up! But the next morning Susie, the great desk manager, put us in a very nice apartment and took care of our every need while we were there! Our best advice is to deal only with Susie and Mary and NOT Paul, a manager there. He knew my sister needed an easy to access room because she had 2 hip surgeries and difficulty walking, but he dropped the ball for whatever reason!! The hotel is lovely and we enjoyed it very much ! Great location !

• Stayed October 2012
London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I am writing this from my suite in Chateau Orleans (wifi internet access in the rooms). Many of the previous reviews on this site give a far more negative view of this place than the reality. My room is clean. There is a little noise from the room above, but not excessive. There are no building materials around the place (at least in the bits I have seen). I was a bit anxious about coming here (there is a conference on so nearly everything in town is full), but I can say that I am very pleasantly surprised.

This might be because the building work seems to be mainly finished now. My suite is largely brand new. Yes a suite. Bathroom, living room and kitchenette with TV and mod-cons. The courtyard is also very nice. All for about 180 bucks per night, right in the French quarter. The proprietress is also very friendly and helpful.

This place deserves a better rating on here. It has more character and is cheaper than the mega-chain hotels. I guess the down side is that there is not concierge or 24 hour desk service (desk closes at 11, but there is 24 hour access via a code-locked door). But I would say this is a minor point and is already costed in on the basis that this is not a hotel but apartments.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Kanata, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and I are pleased with this resort. We arrived last Saturday and we will be leaving this Friday. We did an exchange with our timeshare. It is located in the French Quarter, two blocks from Bourbon Street.

On our third day, we asked Paul, the General Manager if we could change rooms because of the construction near our room - the hotel is undergoing extensive renovations and the workers were right outside our room. Without hesitation, Paul found us another room down the hall. We had a couple of minor problems with the hot water and the lock on our door, and he addressed our concerns immediately. The courtyard is amazingly beautiful, well landscaped with a swimming pool, banana trees, plants and flowers . The courtyard is a relaxing oasis in the French Quarter. It is quiet and secluded, a wonderful place to spend time at the end of a busy day walking around the area. Both rooms we were in had 15-foot high ceiling, were well decorated with antique furniture etc. The architecture of this building is just fantastic, just as we were hoping for. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mountain View, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The rooms is dirty, Susie the manager is a super nice helpful person but she doesnt supervise her staff. Paul the other manager is quite rude. The bed cover looks old and dirty, the couches in the living room look very old and in pretty bad shape. I requested many times that they cleaned the bathroom which we found dirty since our arrival.
They said there were dougnuts on Sunday mornings for the guests but all we saw was a tray full of crumbs. They are remodeling the place but my complaint has nothing to do with the remodeling.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, you can get better deals somewhere else for the same price. (same french quarte...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Plano, TX, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We exchanged a week of time share to stay at Chateau Orleans in June 2012. Our one-bedroom unit was small but more than satisfactory. We had an excellent overlook view of the pool which is kept immaculate. Paul Collins, manager, provided excellent directions and parking recommendation a block away. On Saturday and Sunday mornings, bloody mary and pastry is provided additionally to the daily coffee and newspaper. Daily maid service is excellent and dependable also. Great bed, adequate TV. Our only complaint is that the jacuzzi bathtub is inoperable. Overall, an excellent experience and certainly better than most in French Quarter. No restaurant on premises, but several very close by in all price ranges.

Room Tip: If you have a choice, choose one overlooking the pool and courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pell City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

When we arrived at the address for the hotel I was sure there was a mistake in my directions. We pulled up to the "three flags" that I was told highlighted the hotel and entered through a small door. It was like walking into something that you knew you should immediately turn away from. The small, narrow hallway leading to the "front desk" was covered with construction debris, white chalky powder and an awful smell.
Upon registering, I was informed that there was no elevator and that our room was on the 3rd floor and no help was available to unload our luggage. The room that we were assigned to could have fit into my bathroom at my home - very small with a double bed and pullout coach. It was like a construction war zone. There was paint and caulking on the windows of the door going out to the patio, holes that were plastered in the walls but never smoothed over and repainted and the carpet looked like something that should have been removed and destroyed at least 30 years ago.
The manager (I assume) was a very rude and unpleasant man who seemed to care less if you were a customer or not. We were told by several people in the area of where the boundaries were of the "good" areas to go into and the "bad" ones to stay out of. Unfortunately, the hotel is located in a bad area of the town (only a few blocks off Bourbon Street).
The pictures online ARE NOT anything like the rooms that are available. Our room was musty, old, smelly and the doorways, stairways and hallways are VERY narrow in need of major repair. The bed was in desperate need of being replaced and burned.
The ONLY nice thing I can and will say about this hotel is that there is a lovely courtyard that is nice to sit and relax by the pool.

Room Tip: There is no good advise to give anyone about staying at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to Chateau Orleans? Share your experiences!