“Great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Victorian Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Grand Victorian Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #48 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed for the first weekend of Mardi Gras. Bonnie is great - she is very knowledgeable about the area and willing to share her knowledge. The house is beautiful. The location is incredible. What else do you need to know?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
baton rouge, la
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stay at the Grand Victorian often when I have business in NOLA. I always enjoy the comradery with Bonnie while I am there. The house is beautiful and has a wonderful ambiance with the vintage woodwork and polished floors. I have stayed in both of the first floor plantation bedrooms and have found both to be quite comfortable. Walking down to Magazine Street on Washington Avenue is one of my favorite things to do in this section of uptown New Orleans. As a former resident of New Orleans, I appreciate being able to come back to the city and have a place I can feel at home while I am there. Many thanks, Bonnie, for providing a haven for guests to hang their hat while in the "Big Easy."

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Spent three evenings. Would definitely stay again the next visit to New Orleans.

Friendly staff!
Excellent service was provided by Bonnie and Rachel. They made sure we were comfortable and made sure we could contact them if there were a problem (of which there were none).

Nice room and amenities!
The room was quiet, clean, and very comfortable. The parlor was a nice was to enjoy a cup of tea after an evening out. Also, it was a nice touch with the 2nd floor refrigerator with complimentary sodas and juice!

Great Location!
The house is situated directly on the St Charles streetcar, which makes getting around the city extremely easy. The immediate area is full of notable and historic homes, making for an enjoyable walk though the neighborhood. There are also numerous wonderful restaurants close by.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GrandVictorianBandB, Owner at Grand Victorian Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for all of your kind words. It was great to have you both back at the house again and hope that you won't wait so long to come back again!
BTW, the kingcake for your last breakfast was an experiment, but your comments were accurate: it was good, but not really kingcake! So noted!!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The house was very beautiful with a great location. The owner was very friendly, welcoming, and gave great info about New Orleans and where to go.

However, our biggest complaint was with our room (Oak Alley) The room was located on the ground floor, with the door opening into the breakfast room. The door had multiple cracks in the wood paneling. Not only was it possible to see into the breakfast room from our bedroom but also I could see clearly half of the bed in our room from a table in the breakfast room. Beyond feeling like we had not privacy in our room, it was impossible to sleep. I'm normally a deep sleeper, but I was woken up at 6:30 every morning by the first person to turn on the coffee pot. With no exaggeration, I could hear people stirring their coffee. Additionally, the floor in the room above us creaked loudly so we couldn't fall asleep until the person above us did every night around 1 am. Our room was completely unacceptable. Not only could we not sleep for more that about 5 hours a night for the whole vacation, we had no privacy. Even people in rooms on the second floor who were happy with their rooms were shocked to see us come out of our room every morning directly into the breakfast room and commented that they couldn't believe there was a room behind our door. And it was all very surprising, because there was no mention of any possibility of an such inconvenience with this room when we booked.

What was most surprising is that there was a beautiful, window lined room in the front of the house that would have made a much better breakfast room. It seems unconscionable to ask someone to pay such a price for a room which literally has a direct line of sight to the breakfast room through cracks in the door, especially when there is no need to have the breakfast room located where it is.

Beyond this major complaint, the Bed and Breakfast was also not maintained to the level of standards advertised on the website or expected based on the room prices. The house was beautifully restored and furnished. However, this attention to detail was unfortunately not paid to the running of the B&B. The rooms were not cleaned well. While sheets and towels were clean, but the floor was not at all. Flowers around the house were left to rot in the vases. The food served in the morning was not of good quality, although there was a nice variety. This was of particular surprise, as the owner was always recommending good quality restaurants and criticizing those serving poor quality food.

Room Tip: NOT Oak Alley
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GrandVictorianBandB, Owner at Grand Victorian Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Erika,
I am very sorry that you had such a bad experience at the Grand Victorian. Our goal is always to anticipate every guests' needs, meet them and keep the house itself spotless. Seems we failed at everything!

I anticipated a negative review when you checked in and decided to stay in the downstairs room instead of the other room you reserved for your mother. With a full house on the day you arrived, I had no place to relocate you when you questioned the noise possibility in your room. I specifically told you that if noise was an issue, I'd like to know. You told me that you would be okay and were sound sleepers. Another room became available (a Hurricane Sandy cancellation) on your second night. Although you spoke to me or my staff everyday, there was not a mention of the noise or privacy problem, and we were not able to correct the situation while you were here.

Also, when your boyfriend booked the last 2 rooms available in my house for your travel dates, I personally spoke with him more than once about the rooms available/house. I explained to him the location of the Oak Alley room being right off of the dining room and that we generally do not recommend it to guests who are out late night or sleeping in late morning due to the activity once breakfast begins. He specifically told me that your Mom was an early riser and would be fine in that room. However, you switched into that one at check in.

We have many repeat guests who specifically request the Oak Alley room just as it is. We have guests in it now who are perfectly happy there! It's just not for everyone.

My B&B is an old house, dating back to 1893. This is probably the main reason people choose to stay here. It has multiple floors so that there is always the possibility that there will be someone above or below every room here.We have insulated all floors/ceilings and walls to keep noise to a minimum on our original wood floors.

The crack in the door that you describe is actually less than 2 mm wide and must have occurred during a recent settling of the building. Thank you for bringing it to my attention as it will be repaired this week.

Maybe you've not stayed in a bed & breakfast before this experience, but you would probably be happier in a more conventional type of lodging in the future.
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Thank you Bonnie, Rachel and staff for making our stay in NO memorable. From the moment we arrived we had a warm welcome. We spent five very comfortable nights in the Grand Victorian. The Garden District is delightful and with advice from Bonnie and Rachel we found some excellent eating places within easy walking distance. Our hosts were knowledgable, helpful and enthusiastic which made our stay even better. The veranda was a welcome retreat in the cool night air. Unfortunately the sweet treats and snacks available all of the time has added to our girth! Thank you all for a great stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GrandVictorianBandB, Owner at Grand Victorian Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your glowing compliments! They are appreciated here very much. We enjoyed meeting all of you and hope that the rest of your trip in the US was equally as good. Maybe you'll come back to visit again in New Orleans around your next trip to Texas! Bonnie
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the very delightful Grand Victorian, in the garden district of New Orleans in September 2012. The home has been lovingly restored by Ms Bonnie Rabe, who is an excellent host / innkeeper. Bonnie was helpful, knowledgeable, supportive and entertaining. Bonnie knows and loves "nola", right down to where you go to get the best in local Louisiana music, the good places for a fine night out, the best tours and tour operators and the quickest, best value for money "things" to do. She also quickly responded to our gluten-free dietary requirements, without fuss which we greatly appreciated.
Should I ever get back to New Orleans, I would definitely stay at the Grand Victorian.
Penelope Mullins,
Bendigo, Australia

Room Tip: The Grand Victorian offers a range of rooms. Discuss your specific needs with the delightful Bonnie...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Grand Victorian is perfectly located for your New Orleans adventure. Right on the streetcar line (or bus stop when they break down!), smack dab in the middle of some of the most beautiful architecture in America, Bonnie has done a magnificent job of restoring this grand old house.

The rooms are beautifully decorated and the beds are super comfy. Snacks abound, and breakfast is tailored to your needs. My mother and I can't do wheat, so Bonnie got us gluten-free options.

The GVBB is walking distance to the best dining and some of the best shopping in New Orleans over on Magazine St. Checkout Sake Cafe Uptown for some life-changing sushi. Need a dinner recommendation? Ask Bonnie!

Nothing is too much to ask of Bonnie and her staff, they will organise everything to make your stay the most enjoyable and memorable stay possible.

Room Tip: Get in contact with Bonnie to discuss accessibility and noise levels.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GrandVictorianBandB, Owner at Grand Victorian Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thanks, ladies, for your glowing opinions of the Grand Victorian and my staff. We try reaaly hard to make sure that each guest has the very best information and experience while at the house and in New Orleans. I hope that the rest of your holiday was equally as great! Bonnie

Been to Grand Victorian Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!