“Safe and Secure at the Hilton” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10% off your Room
Ranked #75 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Buffalo, NY
“Safe and Secure at the Hilton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 evenings on a weekend get-away to New Orleans.

The ladies at check-in were delightful and we were thrilled to be upgraded to a king suite jacuzzi room (I had booked a king suite room). As a Hilton Gold member, we also received access to the concierge lounge.

Some of the best jazz we heard all trip was playing in the elevators at the hotel - such a nice touch.

Our room was on the 9th floor and was enormous. There was a large sitting area complete with work desk, refrigerator, coffee maker, couch, side chairs, and large screen TV. The bedroom area was also large and had plenty of drawer space for both of us. The bed was very comfortable. The sleep quality was fabulous - we never heard any street noise at night.

The bathroom had a large jacuzzi with a separate shower stall. I am a sucker for jacuzzis, and found this one to be exceptionally comfortable with a unique design. It would have been nice to have a little shelf to place our shampoo in the shower stall. There was also a makeup mirror and a large sink area.

The hotel itself is 3 blocks to the French Quarter - as others have said, close enough to make for a pleasant stroll, but far enough away to avoid the "ick" factor.

Since there have been several recent reviews about a room break in happening to a hapless group from Dubai, I would like to add that there is a large safe in the room. Don't be an idiot - use the safe. Having said that, on several occassions I left money and/or expensive jewelry out in the room (for short outings, like when we went to the gym) and never had anything go missing. We also had no problem when we checked our bags with the bell man for several hours after we checked out.

The fitness room was open 24/7 and offered 2 ellipticals, 3 treadmills, and a bike, along with lots of free weights and assorted other equipment. The machines were all in excellent shape. Along with water, cups, towels, and sanitizing wipes, they also provided fresh fruit and yummy granola bars in the fitness center.

We had breakfast one day at the concierge lounge. There were lots of hot selections (omlettes, breakfast egg rolls, pancakes), along with breads, cereals, and fruits. We were able to access the refrigerator whenever we wanted for soda and water, which was a great perk.

The concierges were wonderful providing suggestions for dining. We had lunch at Mothers - I enjoyed the Ferdi and my husband gave a thumbs up to the gumbo. We we went to Mother's mid-afternoon and I would not think it would be worthwhile to wait in line during peak hours. We had dinner at Luke's, the hotel restaurant. We both enjoyed the shrimp and grits and the escargot. The creme brulee was a little bit of a disappointment - it was cold and the carmelization did not work very well. Lunch at Huck Finns was our biggest disappointment. The catfish po'boy was almost flavorless, although my husband liked his mufellata (although it was a very small sandwich). Back to Luke's for happy hour (we heard other patrons call it the best happy hour in town, and it was). The oysters were fresh and you can't beat .50/each. The draft beer and cocktails were also half-price. Dinner at the Checkered Parrot on Royal Street was actually quite good for a family oriented restaurant. My black and blue cheeseburger was done perfectly, and I got a side of rice instead of french fries. The oyster po'boy was enormous and much better than the po'boy at Huck Finns. Finally, brunch at the Palace Cafe on Canal Street was easily the highlight of the trip. The bananas foster beignets were to die for, along with the gulf fish topped with poached eggs (and a helping of fresh crab meat). The eggs benedict were also delicious.

All in all, I can't imagine staying anywhere else in New Orleans than the Hilton on St. Charles - wonderful staff and location, along with a great atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonStCharles333, Director of Sales at Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit to our great city and to our hotel. We look forward to serving you again. BTW, I love the Palace Cafe too! The white chocolate bread pudding is the BEST!

607 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I strongly advise you to stay away from this hotel. Our room was broken into when staying there - just at the same time as we were out at a wedding all day. More than $8,000 worth of goods - cash, laptops, iPads and personal items were taken and the hotel doesn't really seem too interested in helping us.

The management refuses to accept any liability even though the door did not always close properly (something we discovered after the robbery) and that there is no CCTV available in the corridors or elevators. Furthermore, they refuse to share the 'lock interrogation' with us so we don't know exactly when the door was opened and which key was used.

This is absolutely not the kind of service I expect from a Hilton and I will definitely refuse to stay in any other Hilton hotels as a result.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonStCharles333, Director of Sales at Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your review. We certainly want every guest experience to be great. In the future, we suggest ensuring that valuable are safely locked away when inviting guests back to a hotel room. New Orleans and Bourbon Street offer many amenities that require responsible use.
Elmwood Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I chose this hotel because we have always had a great experience with Hilton and this particular hotel had a perfect location. We could walk to every place we wanted to and yet it was far enough away from Bourbon Street to have a peaceful nights sleep. Our first night (Saturday) was a little rough. Our room on the 18th floor had a moldy smell when we arrived. We asked if there was another available but they were sold out. However they did send up housekeeping to spray some freshener to combat the smell. Then the next day, Sunday, we went to take our showers and had not hot water. It was warm at best. When I spoke to the Night Supervisor Dino about this he couldn't have been more helpful. He immediately arranged for us to go to a new room that night, gave us some passes to the breakfast/snack area and made sure we were as comfortable as possible.
Well what was supposed to have been a 4 day visit wound up being a 7 day stay because of hurricane Sandy. When that happened the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We never knew when we would be able to get a flight out and so every night I would speak with Dino about extending our stay. He made sure that not only would we be able to stay in our room but also that we would get the best rate possible for each and every night we had to extend. Following Dino's example, every person working there treated us like five star guests. They couldn't have been more helpful with any request we had and were more then sympathetic to our particular plight. Whenever I go to NOLA this is where I will be staying and Dino has a friend for life. Thank you one and all.

Room Tip: They don't have great views from this hotel so I wouldn't worry what floor your room is on...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. We are so glad we were able to assist during the challenging time of Hurricane Sandy. We hope all is well with you.

Dino and the rest of the staff make this such a great place to stay. Please come back and visit soon!
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was staying at this hotel for a friend's wedding which is meant to be a joyful weekend. To my disappointment I had a MacBook Air, iPod, $500, camera, watch and Nike + stolen from my room! I travel very frequently for work and leisure, a great deal internationally on the Middle East, Africa and Asia, and in 9 years of professional travel have never had this happen. I am saddened not only by Hilton but also by the GM's response to this situation. I recommend you avoid this hotel, and probably the Hilton brand, I know I'm wary.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonStCharles333, General Manager at Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We know how much our guests enjoy all of the amenities New Orleans has to offer. We make every effort to ensure the safety and security of our guests including providing complimentary in-room safes and automatic door closers. New Orleans is a a city with many great people, however, we suggest that you limit access to your personal items in your guestroom when allowing unregistered guests access to your room.
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I just spent 4 days at this hotel and I think the staff is top notch. I had a horrible experience getting to New Orleans due to bad weather in Chicago. Some of my friends were waiting for me to check in...I was going to be hours delayed. Tascha at the front desk was wonderful in getting my friends checked in while I was stuck in Chicago. Elaine on the audit shift was great to deal with at 1am. Smiling and friendly.
Our room overlooked St. Charles on the 3rd floor. Not much of a view but I don't care about views unless I'm at the beach.
The French Quarter is a few minutes walk. It's super easy to get around New Orleans.
The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel was quiet even though the city was nearly sold out due to Halloween.
I'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonStCharles333, Director of Sales at Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. New Orleans is a great place to be during Halloween and VooDoo Festival. We are glad our great staff was available to ease the difficulties during your long journey to get here.

We hope you will come and visit us again soon!
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed for 7 nights at the Hilton on St Charles Avenue whilst attending a conference at the nearby convention centre. On our arrival we were warmly welcomed and check in was a breeze. The room was comfortable and had a huge bed and bathroom. No view to speak of but that didn't really bother us. In terms of location, it's within easy walking distance of the French Quarter but is far enough away that you don't get kept awake by the constant Jazz blaring out of (just about every) drinking establishment. Wireless is free in the lobby and there are also a few computers you can use for free in this area. Wireless only extends to the 3rd floor and if your room is outside of this then you have to use a cabled connection though due to the high charge for access we used the free computers in the lobby. If I found myself in New Orleans again I'd happily stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hampton, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

After walking through the french quarter, shopping and sampling the wonderful New Orleans food, what a haven to come back to at night! A hot shower, comfy bed and a quiet room renewed us for a new day. I feel like we had special treatment from Ryan at the desk in the lobby, although I am sure all guests feel the same. What a friendly, informative, nice young man! A definate asset for the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HiltonStCharles333, Director of Sales at Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and our city. Ryan loves this city and he is also great to work with. We will certainly share your praise and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Been to Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue? Share your experiences!