“Do not stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #84 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Do not stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I strongly advise you to stay away from this hotel. Our room was broken into when staying there - just at the same time as we were out at a wedding all day. More than $8,000 worth of goods - cash, laptops, iPads and personal items were taken and the hotel doesn't really seem too interested in helping us.

The management refuses to accept any liability even though the door did not always close properly (something we discovered after the robbery) and that there is no CCTV available in the corridors or elevators. Furthermore, they refuse to share the 'lock interrogation' with us so we don't know exactly when the door was opened and which key was used.

This is absolutely not the kind of service I expect from a Hilton and I will definitely refuse to stay in any other Hilton hotels as a result.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonStCharles333, Director of Sales at Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for your review. We certainly want every guest experience to be great. In the future, we suggest ensuring that valuable are safely locked away when inviting guests back to a hotel room. New Orleans and Bourbon Street offer many amenities that require responsible use.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Elmwood Park, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My wife and I chose this hotel because we have always had a great experience with Hilton and this particular hotel had a perfect location. We could walk to every place we wanted to and yet it was far enough away from Bourbon Street to have a peaceful nights sleep. Our first night (Saturday) was a little rough. Our room on the 18th floor had a moldy smell when we arrived. We asked if there was another available but they were sold out. However they did send up housekeeping to spray some freshener to combat the smell. Then the next day, Sunday, we went to take our showers and had not hot water. It was warm at best. When I spoke to the Night Supervisor Dino about this he couldn't have been more helpful. He immediately arranged for us to go to a new room that night, gave us some passes to the breakfast/snack area and made sure we were as comfortable as possible.
Well what was supposed to have been a 4 day visit wound up being a 7 day stay because of hurricane Sandy. When that happened the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We never knew when we would be able to get a flight out and so every night I would speak with Dino about extending our stay. He made sure that not only would we be able to stay in our room but also that we would get the best rate possible for each and every night we had to extend. Following Dino's example, every person working there treated us like five star guests. They couldn't have been more helpful with any request we had and were more then sympathetic to our particular plight. Whenever I go to NOLA this is where I will be staying and Dino has a friend for life. Thank you one and all.

Room Tip: They don't have great views from this hotel so I wouldn't worry what floor your room is on...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. We are so glad we were able to assist during the challenging time of Hurricane Sandy. We hope all is well with you.

Dino and the rest of the staff make this such a great place to stay. Please come back and visit soon!
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was staying at this hotel for a friend's wedding which is meant to be a joyful weekend. To my disappointment I had a MacBook Air, iPod, $500, camera, watch and Nike + stolen from my room! I travel very frequently for work and leisure, a great deal internationally on the Middle East, Africa and Asia, and in 9 years of professional travel have never had this happen. I am saddened not only by Hilton but also by the GM's response to this situation. I recommend you avoid this hotel, and probably the Hilton brand, I know I'm wary.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonStCharles333, General Manager at Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We know how much our guests enjoy all of the amenities New Orleans has to offer. We make every effort to ensure the safety and security of our guests including providing complimentary in-room safes and automatic door closers. New Orleans is a a city with many great people, however, we suggest that you limit access to your personal items in your guestroom when allowing unregistered guests access to your room.
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I just spent 4 days at this hotel and I think the staff is top notch. I had a horrible experience getting to New Orleans due to bad weather in Chicago. Some of my friends were waiting for me to check in...I was going to be hours delayed. Tascha at the front desk was wonderful in getting my friends checked in while I was stuck in Chicago. Elaine on the audit shift was great to deal with at 1am. Smiling and friendly.
Our room overlooked St. Charles on the 3rd floor. Not much of a view but I don't care about views unless I'm at the beach.
The French Quarter is a few minutes walk. It's super easy to get around New Orleans.
The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel was quiet even though the city was nearly sold out due to Halloween.
I'd stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonStCharles333, Director of Sales at Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. New Orleans is a great place to be during Halloween and VooDoo Festival. We are glad our great staff was available to ease the difficulties during your long journey to get here.

We hope you will come and visit us again soon!
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed for 7 nights at the Hilton on St Charles Avenue whilst attending a conference at the nearby convention centre. On our arrival we were warmly welcomed and check in was a breeze. The room was comfortable and had a huge bed and bathroom. No view to speak of but that didn't really bother us. In terms of location, it's within easy walking distance of the French Quarter but is far enough away that you don't get kept awake by the constant Jazz blaring out of (just about every) drinking establishment. Wireless is free in the lobby and there are also a few computers you can use for free in this area. Wireless only extends to the 3rd floor and if your room is outside of this then you have to use a cabled connection though due to the high charge for access we used the free computers in the lobby. If I found myself in New Orleans again I'd happily stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hampton, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

After walking through the french quarter, shopping and sampling the wonderful New Orleans food, what a haven to come back to at night! A hot shower, comfy bed and a quiet room renewed us for a new day. I feel like we had special treatment from Ryan at the desk in the lobby, although I am sure all guests feel the same. What a friendly, informative, nice young man! A definate asset for the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HiltonStCharles333, Director of Sales at Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and our city. Ryan loves this city and he is also great to work with. We will certainly share your praise and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
alexandria, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed 1 night for business. Was on 17th floor, which has a lounge offering breakfast and evening snacks. Room was fine. Clean, some updates, needed new bathroom floor. King bed with tiny window. Coffee maker in room and a robe. Will be my 3rd choice in Nola. Front desk staff great! Lounge staff looked bored and aggravated to be there. Both ladies (morning and evening shift) were not helpful.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you so much for your review. Our 17th floor is our executive level floor and while our location is great, it doesn't afford us many rooms with views. This historic building was a masonic lodge and we have worked to preserve the historic integrity of the building.

We appreciate your feedback on the service you received both by the Front Desk staff as well as the Executive Lounge staff. We will most definitely reward our outstanding staff members as well as improve our training efforts. The information you have provided gives us a great opportunity to improve the experience for the next guest. Thank you!

Been to Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue? Share your experiences!