“Nice hotel in perfect location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10% off your Room
Ranked #76 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
NY
“Nice hotel in perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

The location of the hotel is very good. We took the E2 bus from the airport and were dropped off a few blocks away from the hotel. After a short walk, we were greeted by the friendly staff at the front desk.
As a HHonors elite member, we got a corner room in the executive floor. It was very clean, spacious and full of light. Made it enjoyable to get back to the hotel after a long day.
The staff at the hotel was friendly and welcoming for the most part. Ryan at the concierge desk was very helpful. He made some nice recommendations for dinner and tours. We were not disappointed.
The hotel is within a short walk to the French Quarter and the river. The St. Charles bus line stops a block away. It was nice taking that line and looking at all the nice houses on St. Charles.
The Luke restaurant downstairs is very busy, so make sure you make reservations ahead of time.
My only complain would be about the Executive Lounge. I may be used to the lounges in Europe, but there is no comparison. The lounge is small. They only have 12 chairs, which seems tiny. They don't have snacks and drinks on weekends. The snacks on thursday had cheese and crackers and a couple of other items, but nothing impressive. Breakfast was ok. On monday they did not have any hot foods for breakfast. There are two ladies working at the lounge during breakfast, which seems an overkill for that size lounge. I asked them why there were no hot items that day. One lady, leaning on the counter replied "We're out". How can such a place be out of breakfast items. Her attitude was as if I were bothering them and cutting into their conversation. Instead of talking to each other, one of them should go and get more food. That was not something that should happen at a Hilton. On the positive side, one could get bottles of water and cans of soda from the fridge at any time.
I would have given this hotel 5 stars were it not for the lounge experience. I would suggest to management to improve the food selection. I would definitely return to this hotel again when visiting NOLA.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large and full of light
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonStCharles333, Director of Sales at Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you so much for the feedback about your stay at the hotel. We have some outstanding staff members.

I have forwarded your comments about the food and service to the departments handling those things are are so glad to have the opportunity to make adjustments in that area. We are currently working on a plan for expanding the executive lounge. We are anticipating some exciting changes for that area in 2013.

We look forward to serving you again!

608 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Usually stay in the Quarter but this business trip hotel was better than expected.
The St Charles location is close to the river activities as well as a short walk to the action of the French Quarter...the lack of chaos and noise made this hotel stand out.
Beautiful old building turned into a classic hotel; sophisticated lobby, extremely comfortable rooms and an elegant restaurant/bar.
The young concierge offered wine at Happy Hour and, as a local, could help anyone and everyone with area tips...he was simply fabulous.
This Hilton property runs like clock-work. It should not be overlooked.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the feedback about your stay at our beautiful and historic hotel. We have some great staff that love the city. I appreciate our location too! Just 2 1/2 blocks to the always fun French Quarter and we are on the Saint Charles streetcar line to the elegant Garden District.

Next time you are in town, we can give you a wonderful history tour of the hotel.

We look forward to serving you again.
Monroe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have been to New Orleans several times for busy and training classes. This was my first trip with my family. We had the best time due the incredible staff and location of this hotel. They provide us with information about the tours and restaurants. The valet staff was quick and friendly. Housekeeping did an excellent job. The food and service we received in the restaurant was far above what we expected. I will only stay here in the future if a room is available.

Room Tip: We had a corner room and the view was great
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the feedback about your stay with us. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit. The restaurant Luke, is a John Besh restaurant and a local hotspot for lunch and dinner. My favorite dish is the Shrimp & Grits. Chef Besh has 6 restaurants in the city and each of them is outstanding. I recommend a trip to the Restaurant August when you return.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our city.
Pompano Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Good location (easy, flat walking distance to French Quarter and the river) but the hotel felt a bit tired. Staff were fabulous though, really welcoming, friendly, helpful and upbeat. Enjoyed the free wine in the lobby each evening from four til six. Restaurant (Luke's) was mega busy so book early if you want a table before ten.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HiltonStCharles333, Director of Sales at Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We are very proud of our friendly staff. The hotel does offer a great location and the food at Luke is outstanding thanks to Chef John Besh, a James Beard award winner. We value your feedback and will work to improve the overall feel of the hotel.
Olive Branch, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I needed a reservation with short notice for an interview. The staff was exceptionally helpful. I arrived late at night in New Orleans and was surprised at how quick my car was taken by the valet and my bags were taken to my room. Valet parking was completely reasonable given the location. The room was in fantastic condition, complete with a chocolate on the pillow. Bed was comfortable, iron worked great, shower was clean and had great pressure. Room service was quick and friendly and check-out staff in the morning were great. Executive breakfast was fantastic. I left my bags in the storage room while I was interviewing and left late in the afternoon. I definitely recommend this hotel for anyone staying in the area. It's a short walk from everything in New Orleans.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope the interview was a success and that you will visit us again soon.
atlanta ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Check-In: The front desk staff were friendly and made check-in very smooth and fast.

Parking: There is no off-street parking; you must use valet parking which is $32.00 per day. Many hotels in the area don't offer any parking outside of valet and the cost may vary from $25 - $40.00 per day. It increases during prime Saints games and Mardi Gras.

Bell Service: The bell service was very helpful, and quick to get us to our room. She checked our car for valuables that were left behind. Boy, was I glad. I had left my iPad 2 in the car along with car chargers and medication necessary for my husband.

Restaurant: Luke's is highly recommended restaurant, however, I would not suggest for breakfast. Very expensive for toast and yogurt - $12.00. Did have a hamburger which was very good but again expensive. However, most hotel restaurants are over priced. There are many eating establishments within walking distance.

Room: The bed is awesome! Very comfortable. The decor is attractive and the room was very clean. No complaints about housekeeping. I actually needed some additional toiletries and after making a call to the front desk, they arrived within 5 minutes. Some comments mentioned the hotel looked old, however, I would disagree. My room was on the 4th floor. The rooms come with a small refrigerator and safe. Nice size closet.

Wi-Fi: There is wi-fi in the room. I am a Diamond member, therefore the service was complimentary.

Location: You are 1 block from Canal Street; 10 minute walk from Bourbon Street and 15-20 minute walk from French Quarter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
HiltonStCharles333, Director of Sales at Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your valuable comments. We recognize our outstanding employees and your review will be shared with our Front Desk, Bellstand, Housekeeping, Parking and Restaurant staff. The restaurant Luke is a John Besh Restaurant and my favorite breakfast is the Shrimp and Grits.

We are glad you enjoyed your visit with us and we hope to see you again soon.
North Salt Lake, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

The hotel is very comfortable with nice Hilton amenitites, a comfortable bed and pillows, and cable tv (but no NFL channel). The evening wine reception in the lobby is a really great way to start the evening and the staff is completely friendly and accomodating.

My room was on the 18th floor which had a slightly musty smell, but there was a major storm not too long ago. I was disappointed to not have a full toiletry and towel replacement each day. That's a sign of shoddy maid service to me, but everything appeared clean and cared for. The room was quiet, the windows were very small, but I slept well and that's the most important thing.

The history of the building is interesting. It is an old Masonic Temple and thus the sturdy construction prevents wireless internet access throughout, although the staff says they are working on it. The work out room is in a large Masonic gathering place. It feels a little too large, but is qutie a beautiful room, as are all the meeting rooms in the hotel.

The location is a reasonable walk to the French Quarter or the Convention Center. I never needed a taxi until it was time to go to the airport. Everything was convenient.

Bottom line...I would stay here again if the price was right, knowing that I would have a safe and comfortable room in a decent location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your valuable comments. We anticipate completing our total WiFi connectivity by the end of the year. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will come back again. Upon your return, our staff will be happy to offer a behind-the-scenes tour of this historic building and its amazing architecture.

Been to Hilton New Orleans/St. Charles Avenue? Share your experiences!