“Stunning courtyard for wedding reception/but not worth the hassel.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Margaret Gardens Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Margaret Gardens Inn
You added Margaret Gardens Inn to your Saves list
1133 Margaret Place, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Ranked #83 of 144 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Louisville
“Stunning courtyard for wedding reception/but not worth the hassel.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We have been going to New Orleans for years and my daughter wanted to get married in that city.My Daughter found Margaret Garden for her wedding reception for March 2014. The positive is: hands down one of the best courtyard to hold an event ,especially if you have a live band(nice stage). The negative is Eddie is clueless, uncooperative , and made an destination wedding already difficult, even more challenging. If it was not for our local New Orleans base wedding planner keeping on top of things it could have been a disaster. Issues: Eddie never answers his cell phone- which makes it difficult since there is no main phone to leave messages. Since we were staying down the street , we would have to go bang on the front door or call someone from the groom's family that happened to be staying there so that they could open the door for the flower delivery. The groom or the bride were getting calls from the event company stating they could not get into the venue no one would answer the door or their cell phone. We actually receive a call from the event company on the following Monday after the wedding that Eddie would not answer the phone or the door and if they could not get the tables chairs etc. they were going to charge us another day rental. We were on I 10 leaving town and had to go back to Margaret
and bang on the door. The event company rep. that was on site stated they probably would not do businesses again at this location because of the hassle. Since this is about management , the wedding planner told us that she had to confront Eddie at the reception about his attempt to take bottles of wine from the bar (which we paid for) up to his room. We did have it out with Eddie , and his response was he didn't make much money . What? We filled all the rooms for the weekend plus the rental of the courtyard,( pretty pricey). There is one thing I can not stand is for someone to take your money and treat you like dirt. I Think Eddie thinks he is in Paris. Since we were wise enough to stay at another location , I can only relate what the groom family said , that you got weak coffee and a granola bar, and it actually leaked in one of the rooms during the rain storm.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

9 of my friends and I stayed at this house over the July 4th weekend to celebrate a bachelor party. We stayed that the house for 2 nights.

The house is big and spacious. The first hour or so we spent exploring all the places in the house. The decor is unique and brings you back in time. The rooms were clean and we were provided linens. Considering we had 10 people, staying there, we rented out the entire house for the weekend at a bargain. Prices in other areas were high due to the Essence Festival that was happening. The location is nice as nice and quiet. Within walking distance there are multiple restaurants to explore and the trolley system to take you into town if you wanted to.

The owners are spectacular, Eddie was extremely accommodating and friendly. In the morning the owners brewed coffee and provided granola bars.

The courtyard is amazing space and was the most interesting part of the house to me. The owner told us they can accommodate to large parties. It has a beautiful fountain, a platform/stage area, and the interior can be converted into multiple bar stations.

I definitely recommend this house for any type of event.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

It is easy to get caught up in the excitement of the French Quarter but if you stay in a place like Margaret Gardens you get to be blocks from the action but right near other attractions like the Lower Garden district and Uptown. I am a New Orleans Native and had friends over and was affordable able to house them here. They loved the connivence and the charm of the place and we had a great time hanging out in the courtyard of the historic home turned Inn. My guests loved the place and I recommend it to anyone looking to visit New Orleans.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I booked this inn based on the other reviews on this site, attributing the few negative statements to 1-time occurrences, and focusing on all the wonderful things other reviewers wrote about the property and the innkeeper, Eddy. We were so excited about staying here. Even paid extra for the Jacuzzi tub and larger room.

Weird things started happening immediately upon meeting Eddy. After getting the room keys, we established that there was enough hot water only to wet one's hair. Freezing, and with shampoo in hair, we informed the owners of the issue, hoping that they would be able to solve it. I could go on about this particular experience, but suffice to say that we felt unwelcome and blamed. The lack of hot water and ability for resolution was even more surprising given that we were the only guests! We later discovered large cockroaches -- both dead and alive -- around the room and premises, AND insects in the bed.

Please be careful about this place. When I confronted Eddy with complaints via Email, I received the most obnoxious, ridiculous, and blasphemous email in return, threatening legal action if I choose to write a negative review or attempt to ask for a refund.

I have evidence and photographs to prove each and every one of my statements. Contact me if you want to see them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband & I stayed here 3 nights during our NOLA vacation. Its a neat historic home with interesting decor. The basics were all excellent - comfortable & clean room and shower. Its a short cab or walk to Quarter & St Charles street car is only a block away. Eddie was very nice & welcoming. My only critiques would be it doesn't have shower products & the coffee not that great. Overall great stay & value!

• Stayed April 2013
margaretgardens, Owner at Margaret Gardens Inn, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. We will attempt to provide the shower amenities you pointed out to us that make it more comfortable for our guests. Thank you for the critique of our coffee. Not being a coffee drinker, I am ignorant of which brand to use. But we will attempt in the future to provide coffee that our guests want.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I am from Tampa Florida and have stayed at Margaret Gardens Inn every time because I do a lot of work in the New Orleans area. I highly recommend Margaret Gardens Inn, not only because of the great value that I receive, but because of the extreme cleanliness, inviting staff, and wonderful hospitality that I receive. The mansion is quiet enough to get my work done and the courtyard is spectacular with the gardens and the fountain, especially at night. This place is located perfectly in the Garden District with wonderful restaurants within safe walking distance of the mansion. My favorite restaurant is John Besh's restaurant called LUKE. One thing that I love about the place is that could see the D-Day museum from my balcony in Margaret's suite. Margaret Gardens Inn is truly a home away from home for me and my co-workers and I highly recommend it.
Michael Miller

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your lovely comments about Margaret Gardens. We look forward to your return visit to New Orleans and your stay at Margaret Gardens.
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My friends and I planned a trip to NOLA for my birthday the last weekend in January. As you could imagine, 1 week before Superbowl every other place was either outrageous or simply not available. I stumbled upon Margaret Gardens... Eddy was really helpful and super knowledgeable about the history of the House and showed my friends and me a great time, giving recommendations when we asked and making sure we knew where to go and not go. In NOLA I usually just stay close to Bourbon St and a room is just a room to me, but the history and the beautiful interior of this place was absolutely beautiful. It is a little hard for cab drivers to find but other than that... it was a great quiet place to rest our eyes for a few hours before going there to do what we had come to do and that was enjoy NOLA and all it has to offer. I have recommended this place to other people and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Margaret Gardens Inn? Share your experiences!