“Fantastic location, great owner, great times!” 5 of 5 stars

The Burgundy Bed and Breakfast
2513 Burgundy Street, New Orleans, LA 70117 (Bywater)   |
Ranked #49 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Fantastic location, great owner, great times!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2011

Me and my husband stayed at the Burgundy in the red room over christmas and it was great. Easy walking distance to Frenchman Street (check out the Spotted Cat - free swing dance lessons on a Wednesday!!) and the French Quarter - we rarely needed to get a taxi. Carl is great, really friendly, helpful and makes lovely breakfasts! New Orleans is a bit difficult for vegetarians (even meals that sound as though they should be vege aren't - best to check with the chefs first!) but Carl gave us a list of vege friendly restaurants that some of his past guests had compiled which came in really useful, and he went out of the way to find us a vege friendly place to eat on christmas day.

We had an amazing time in New Orleans, we will definately be back to make sure we can fit in everything we didn't have time to do this time around, and when we do return we'll definately stay at the Burgundy again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

This is a great hideaway just off the French Quarter in a historic neighborhood that is worth exploring. Rooms are huge and quiet. The house is sunny and clean and cozy. A friendly warm welcome. The neighborhood is very quiet but all the good music and restaurants of the French quarter are just a few blocks away. I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
liashke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

I just spent 8 days at The Burgundy, and it was a marvelous and comfortable stay. The neighborhood is quiet and the house charming and unique. Shared guest spaces include a dining area, parlor/lounge, galley kitchen, and courtyard with hot-tub/spa (great for relaxing after a day out in the city). You can put your own food and drinks in the kitchen, but there is also a mini-bar stocked with water, soda, beer, and frozen meals – the prices for each are super-reasonable. The parlor has a laptop computer and printer which came in very handy, and wifi throughout the house.

The bedrooms are tastefully decorated with a touch of New Orleans whimsy and homeyness that makes them very personable. My bed was very comfortable.

I read on another review that it’s more like staying with an old friend or with family than at a hotel... I heartily agree. Things may not be fancy, but they’re comfortable and useful and it’s easy to relax. My group had most of the B&B rented out, but we enjoyed getting to meet other travelers over breakfast. Carl himself is a great host and resource. He gave us advice on places to eat, places to visit, helped us get reservations for outings, called taxis, and generally was there to help in any way he could while still being unobtrusive and quiet.

If I had to come up with negative things to say, it’s maybe that the towels are a little rough and light sleepers might occasionally hear a train whistle at night. But that’s nit-picking. There was nothing bad about my stay and if I get to go back to New Orleans I will be ringing Carl for reservations at his lovely home.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Strabane, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

I recently stayed at the Burgundy as part of a group of 8 girls visiting New Orleans for a birthday celebration. I cannot recommend Carl's B&B enough - what a wonderful place.

Not only was Carl a wonderful host, making us all feel very much at home during our stay, he also provided excellent recommendations of local destinations we might enjoy, everything from the best jazz clubs to the best places to eat in any given area, even the best tattoo parlour!

The house is very tidy and well kept, with a wonderful breakfast (fresh-baked biscuits out of the oven - heaven!) every morning. Rooms are comfortable with lovely decor, and the beds are far better than what you'd get in most hotels. The back courtyard is wonderfully peaceful with the central fountain, and the hot tub was great for relaxing after a busy day walking around the city. The neighbours were all very friendly and welcoming, and although the sidewalks in the area are in need of a little TLC from city maintenance, the area felt very safe. In addition, the B&B provides free wifi, and there was a laptop and printer in the guest lounge for our use during our stay, as well as laundry facilities upon request.

Frenchmen street jazz clubs, a local Walgreens, pubs, restaurants, and the French Market are all just a short and pleasant walk away. Ask Carl for the route that takes you past the Mardi Gras tree :)

Next time I go to New Orleans (because I will definitely be back), I will make sure I stay at the Burgundy.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Carl is a wonderful host, offering tips and suggestions for restaurants, sightseeing, and night spots. The house is located in a very safe and beautiful neighborhood. Frenchman Street is about a 10 minute walk and The French Quarter is about a 30 minute walk. The rooms are very comfortable and Carl offers a light breakfast each morning for the guests which provides a great environment to get to know the other guests and to hear of their adventures from the night before. My wife and I visit Nola often, and this will be our first choice for a place to stay. Thanks Carl!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

My husband and I went to New Orleans during Jazz Fest weekend to celebrate my 50th Birthday. Carl communicated with us via e-mail immediately upon our securing the reservation. He offered tips on where to eat, how to get where we were going, and rented us bikes. There is a computer available for making dinner reservations, flight check-ins, local info, etc. The breakfast was simple: a continental breakfast rather than something prepared at the B&B. We stayed in the Red Room, which had a separate entrance. My husband ordered flowers to be waiting for me, and Carl seemed just as excited to see my reaction. A great value, off the beaten track, and quiet!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I didn't actually stay in the Burgundy - although it looked lovely - but host Carl helped me communicate with folks back home.
He stepped in (after being asked by my B&B host) and offered his computer screen so that I could video-call my man on my birthday.
Carl showed his generosity and kindness on my special day and I think that shows the quality of hosting you'd get at the Burgundy. Thanks Carl.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Burgundy Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!