“Relax into history-saturated contentment” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chez Palmiers Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Chez Palmiers Bed and Breakfast
You added Chez Palmiers Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
1744 N Rampart Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (Marigny)   |
Ranked #22 of 144 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Columbia, South Carolina
“Relax into history-saturated contentment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

Schuyler Hoffman and David Peterson are the hosts of this marvelous tucked-away jewel of a B&B in the very heart of New Orleans. The coziness and distinctively NOLA style will wrap its arms around you as you sink into the wonderful comfort of the Grande Suite, the Loft or the Blah-Blah room. Wake up each morning to David and Schuyler's lovely breakfast and hospitality and have your tea steeped in history! My husband and I spent our much-needed vacation in the Grande Suite surrounded by contentment, ease and all things New Orleans. October was a bit too cool for a dip in the pool, but in the lush, intimate outdoor space we didn't miss the swim at all. Our advice? Make your reservations as soon as you can!

Room Tip: The Grande Suite is perfect for couples, intimate yet amply-sized.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

This was my third time to Nola; my husband's second. We normally stay in a hotel but decided to go the B&B route this time, and we will never look back. Nola is one of those places that you'll want to revisit, and there is no doubt we'll be reserving at Chez Palmiers for our future trips.

First let's talk about your hosts: Schuyler & David. They're the kind of guys you want as next door neighbors. Cheery, helpful and passionate about the neighborhood, without being overbearing. It's a typical B&B so we'd see them around often, but it was always awesome. We'd chat about local issues, great restaurants, etc. (And take their advice when it comes to food - they know their stuff!) It was great having them around. In fact, i want to be their neighbor.

CP is located in Marigney which is literally a three minute walk from the French Quarter and Frenchman Street. For us, it was a perfect location. We were not in the loud French Quarter, but we were close enough that whenever we wanted to get there - it was just a walk away. I'm also a runner so I enjoyed easy access to fun & safe running routes (to City Park and around the Quarter for example.)

The house is lovely! They're big architecture buffs so they're happy to talk to you about it's style. We stayed in the downstairs suite and it was PERFECT! We even had our own private reading/sitting room with tons of books. A few days after we arrived, my husband's brother and partners arrived and they took the upstairs loft which was also great. We spent most of our afternoons in the pool. Since we had been to Nola before and done most of the "sights" on previous trips, we just wanted to eat, listen to great music, and relax. We'd wake up, eat, swim, go find lunch, eat some beignets, swim, drink some wine, swim, waddle to Frenchman Street, and repeat. For us it was the perfect vacation.

Breakfast was good. In New Orleans a local law prohibits B&Bs from preparing cooked breakfasts (I know - crazy, huh?) but we'd never go hungry in the AM. Schuyler & David would put out tons of bread, bagels, croissants, spreads, cheese, yogurt, fresh fruit, etc. (And great coffee!) We'd eat our breakfast poolside each AM (and then hop in the pool.) It was actually funny - on our first morning, my husband joined me on a LONG run. As we were on our way back to CP he said, "I really want a croissant with brie." I said, "Baby, I think you're dreaming. They''ll probably have toast and stuff." I kid you not. We get home, covered in sweat and aching to find croissants and brie. Magic!

All in all - this was a perfect B&B experience. And we will be going back. Thanks Schuyler & David!

Room Tip: We loved the Grand Suite!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Sorry for delay in posting: we stayed Mon-Thurs 10-13 Oct, and just wanted to say what an amazing place we found Chez P to be! Real New Orleans neighborhood: check. Close to what we wanted to do: check (we love the Quarter and what's happening in the Bywater). AMAZING hosts: super check, hence the five stars. I don't think I've ever stayed anywhere where the love of the city I was in was so clear in the hosts of the B&B. David and Schuyler must talk about the city to every guest that comes through their doors, but their love and knowledge of NOLA shines through and made our stay exceptionally special. Great place, great guys.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Our family treated my sister & bro-in law In to a 10th anniversary long weekend trip to NOLA. My mom and i went along to make sure they consumed enough alcohol and we stayed in the loft and it worked out perfect. My Sister n Bro in law had the Blah Blah rom and they loved it as well. Cool to be able to hang at the little pool side oasis and converse while folks are getting ready to hit the town at their own pace. Location is excellent;Frenchman St and Bourbon St are resonable (and safe) interesting walk's.Schuyler makes you feel right at home and we would (hopefully will)stay there again. Next time we'll recruit more folks so we have the whole house.. that way mom wont knock on the wrong door late night and scare the other guests!!
I want to own a B & B in NOLA now!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

I am still raving about Chez Palmiers. My 18-year-old son (drummer) and I stayed there during the weekend of the Crescent City Blues & BBQ Festival Oct. 14-17, 2011. Schuyler and David felt like "family," and we loved, loved, loved staying in the loft. Right now, I am considering purchasing a property in the Marigny area of New Orleans. We are originally from Washington, D.C. and now live in a small port town outside of DC in Prince George's County. The house and locale were just what we were looking for and was just lovely. The neighborhood is going through a bit of transition, but it's a rather nice transition. The homes are slowly, but surely, being re-occupied and "fixed-up." Chez Palmiers is a charming house. I fell in love with its ambiance and how comfy it was. I honestly felt like I was their sister who was living upstairs...lol. Schuyler and David are just wonderful and spent time giving us the "lowdown" on cool spots, etc., in and around the area. I am an adventurous traveler and tend to enjoy getting "off the beaten track." We walked all around the area, down through the French Quarter, down past the Warehouse District, down past the Garden District, etc. LOL. We walked a lot and really got more familiar with the neighborhood. Upon first glance, one might feel a bit "hesitant" as the neighborhood does vary from block to block...however, all one has to do is walk towards Frenchmen Street and beyond. There were so many "cool azz" places to visit along the way...endless food, drink and music stops. If you are truly adventurous and a true music lover, you must check out Hi-Ho's off the main road from N. Rampart (to the right). This club appears to be a "hole in the wall," but was filled with locals and a few "cranking bands." We were lost one night going opposite of the French Quarter and ran into a lovely local "youth football coach" who got us back on track, gave us some great ideas and then ended up taking my son and I all around the 9th Ward, through Treme...over the bridge and beyond...he is "living history"...he also showed us his house in the 9th ward and all the damage that took place...he gave us a wonderful historical account of various neighborhoods throughout New Orleans...we also ventured through St. Bernard and St. Claude, which dips outside the NOLA city limits. It's a bit "creepy" driving through the areas that suffered great loss during the floods, as many of the streets are empty and the houses have been washed away. Many of those areas were vibrant communities full of working class/middle class people prior to the storm. Mr. Francis also drove us through some of the areas making a "comeback." We saw the housing development of the Marseilles (Wynton Marseilles has made quite an investment in the area for musicians by having a housing community built for local musicians). We also went past NOCCA (arts school). One great "treat" for us was the after midnight tour of the Backstreet Cultural Museum, which houses the costumes of the Mardi Gras Indians...the curator/owner is his brother...How nice! After spending a few hours with this nice man, we headed back to N. Rampart and chilled, eating Dominos Pizza...lol...which is down the road from the house if one doesn't want NOLA cuisine...teehee. The remainder of our trip we spent wandering down Frenchmen...checked out Cafe Negril and my son got a chance to jump on the drumset after chatting with the band that was playing at the time (Delta Funk, I think)...we also met up with many many interesting people along the road...the group of shirtless, heroine addicts...lol...don't judge them; they were great musicians...taught my son a thing or two about rhythms by playing merengue on the hubcap of a car and then the vinyl siding of a house...truly amazing. We passed so many lovely, quaint, french-styled homes and I am now truly in love with Marigny. We spent the entire Sunday chilling at Lafayette Square for the Crescent City Blues & BBQ Festival...I danced so much I was ready to drop. We ventured Uptown on the streetcar...just because...we felt like it...lol...actually, we were trying to find "Lil Wayne's (rapper) neighborhood," but were advised that we really should not venture too far from the St. Charles line, as the neighborhood became really "hood" a few blocks over. St. Charles is a picturesque streetcar line, with lovely mansions stretching all the way up...the conductor was also extremely informative, and we talked the entire ride. We also bought day passes ($3) and rode the bus outside the house up through Jackson Barracks and then back to Canal Street. We did this at night, which ain't for the "faint of heart," as one has to go over that drawbridge...and the area does kind of look like a "ghost town" on the other side. Just keep riding...the bus will come back around and go back to Canal Street...just don't get off anywhere until you get back to Canal Street...lol. Everyone we met was informative and really friendly, no matter what their plight in life was. We also walked through the French Market, had hamburger Po-boys and did a bit of gift shopping. Of course, we bounced through Bourbon Street (several times), following a local, youth brass band that was crankin on the corner. However, whatever you do, do not get those Krystal Burgers during the late night...I don't care how "drunk" or hungry you may be...Just say NO to Krystal's...LOL. There are endless things to do in NOLA. We ended our trip by dropping by Cafe Du Monde around 2am Monday morning; then ventured back to the airport...love how efficient the taxicabs are...Ok, I think I have written enough...even though there is so much more to share...but I'll let you guys go there and experience all that fun and excitement for yourselves. By the way, I'm already planning for Mardi Gras and also trying to convince one of my four children to go to school down there...LOL...that way, I will have an excuse to visit as much as I want...teehee. I LOVE NEW ORLEANS...Thanks, again, Schuyler and David...I love you guys, your lovely home and tremendous hospitality...ok, I'll stop now...teehee.

Room Tip: I loved the Loft, as it's great for coming and going...you can enter the front door and go up wi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
newark oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Just completed a week stay at Chez Palmiers. We were in the BR/Living room suite, and it was great. Tastefully decorated, comfortable. Schuyler put on a very nice continental breakfast: croissants, bagels, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurts, etc. Loved the relaxed homey feel, casual and friendly. For those who might be concerned about the location -- not to worry. We walked everywhere, and felt very safe. Obviously, you need to be smart and alert no matter where you are, but we enjoyed our evening walks to and from the local restaurants at night.

For fun on nearby Frenchman Street: the Spotted Cat for great local music, Adolfo and Eat for good food. Happy hour at Luke's downtown offers 50 cent oysters that are great.

We want to thank Schuyler for another great to trip to NOLA.

P&C

Slidell, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

We spent our annual girls' weekend at Chez Palmiers as a party of 6 thirty-something Moms. This was our first excursion "on the road" and not at each other's homes, so we were looking for the perfect place to spread out and take over like we are accustomed to. We were lucky enough to get all 3 suites, and Schuyler & David so graciously allowed us to do just that--take over!! We are all originally from Louisiana, but had travelled from other locales to meet. David very patiently helped our lost friend navigate on the phone, even though pouring rain and traffic forced us to arrive a little later than planned. I'm not sure if our overabundance of bags and ice chests overwhelmed or surprised them, but if so the guys never made us feel that way. Chez Palmiers is on a very quiet one-way street and we parked right out front with no problems. The photos on their site are very accurate; if anything CP is even MORE impressive in person!

As someone mentioned earlier, they were the perfect blend of friendly, gracious and non-hovering hosts. It was almost like having two cool Dads to stop by and check on us as we went about our weekend, to make sure we were comfortable and finding everything to our liking. They were in and out as much as we were, but always kind enough to let us know where they were going. We were able to spend all day in the pool, talking, grilling and sampling all the appetizers and food we brought ourselves that we spread out on the dining room table--remember we rented all 3 suites and took full advantage by making ourselves at home!!

Schuyler and David give the true New Orleans home experience in every room. The decor is clean, cozy and filled with photos of New Orleans architecture, Mardi Gras trinkets and antique furniture that is not too pretentious to sit on and enjoy. They think of EVERYTHING you will possibly need from q-tips to beach towels and sunscreen and it's all out and easy to find. All of the beds were extremely comfortable and made with high-quality sheets, the rooms were quiet and cool all night long. This is undoubtedly why all 6 of us slept until 10 a.m. each day--something cherished greatly by a group of Moms! Their breakfast set-up and dining room was such a lovely reminder of when I lived in New Orleans...the coffee grounds were already loaded in the pot, soft jazz music quietly drifted through the room and the local newspaper was waiting on the table. The continental breakfast assortment also did not disappoint, with breads, cheeses, cold cereal, hot cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit and all the toppings and spreads you could possibly think of.

I wish Schuyler & David the best luck in the future of Chez Palmiers, because they are definitely doing things right! I'm not sure if my group will ever be able to coordinate a trip together in New Orleans again, but I know we all recommend it highly to anyone looking for a place as good as home! Would LOVE to stay there again someday!

Jennifer Williams

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Chez Palmiers Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!