“Birthday celebration NOLA style!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Barracks Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Royal Barracks Guest House
You added Royal Barracks Guest House to your Saves list
717 Barracks Street, Between Bourbon and Royal, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #46 of 144 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Birthday celebration NOLA style!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This past weekend--9/7/2013--my close girl friends and I took a quick getaway to celebrate a dirty 30 birthday bash in NOLA. What can I say Kelly and Sugar B were amazing!!! Best B&B hands down! I had a great time, great location, super unique and trendy place, also excellent hospitality and service!! Thank you Kelly so much for going out of your way and making this weekend extra special for us Texas girls! Seriously coming back and staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Colorado Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Carrie Sue was fantastic and easy to work with over the phone! Kelly and her poodle Sugar B checked us in and were very friendly, offering us a glass of wine upon arrival. Sugar B escorted us to our room, obviously feeling very at home. Our room was lovely! This is definitely not the Ritz, so if you stay with Royal Barracks, be prepared for 100% local living in the Quarter - which was exactly what my husband and I were searching for! The carpet in our room (Blu Room) smelled pretty strongly like dog, however after having the A/C unit on for a while, the smell went away. The house is quaint with a very Victorian feel. Carrie Sue surprised us with a visit to meet in person and we followed her to the bar on the corner - had a blast! Great place to stay. We will be back!

Room Tip: We loved the decor in the Blu Room, however will probably pick a room that has a cleaner feel next t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have been staying at the Royal Barracks for at least 15 years.. It is a quaint, off-the-beaten-path place in the heart of the Quarter. If you want to get a feel for how it truly is to live in the French Quarter, stay here! Kelly, the innkeeper, is an amazingly inviting woman who makes you feel both welcomed and at home. Her poodle Suga B is always on duty with her. This place may not be for those who want Ritz Carlton luxury, but it is certainly memorable and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: There is no pool. I cannot uncheck box above. It is not intended as a criticism.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My Husband and I spent two nights in the Royal Barracks Guest House and we absolutely loved it! Kelly, the woman who runs the place was so sweet and helpful, she went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed. Meeting people like Kelly really made us understand the term "southern hospitality." The rooms were clean and comfortable and the location is perfect. This is definitely where we will stay next time we are in New Orleans!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Athlone, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I are just back from 5 days in N'Orleans and we stayed at the Royal Barracks Guest House during the duration of our stay. It couldn't have been a better choice.
We really enjoyed the feel of the place, it's quirky and not like a main stream hotel chain. It allows some independence and save some money if you want to. We stayed in the "Blue Room" for the entire time. A small room but the space didn't bother us one bit. I read on a previous review that it is a dark room, well yeah it is but then you find the light switch and "Voila" let there be light! Amenities are coffee machine with coffee, sugar sweetener etc.. microwave, fridge(with two bottles of water inside), a TV, plenty of spare towels for the bathroom. What more can one want! The owners are super friendly. Kelly, Jack and Carrie Ann (My apologies if I spelt it wrong) gave us a lowdown on what to down to get the best out of our short stay, just so nice and down to earth, you won't get that anywhere else. C-A rang the tour company for us to arrange a pick up point as we had european mobile numbers and also arranged a taxi for our departure day (BTW, it's $33 for 1 or 2 people from the quarter to LA Airport)
Location is ideal, you are at 717 Barrack street, between corners of Bourbon and Royal, just close to everything yet far enough away from the noise, it's very quiet at night. Frenchmen is only a 5 min walk away.
Really a top place for an amazing city, blown away by the whole lot.

Room Tip: The Blue Room seems like the smallest, they have bigger ones inside but the price increases obviousl...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is THE place to stay in the Quarter. Its close enough to Esplanade to get the fun of Frenchman and the Marginey, while being near all the Quarter can offer - but not TOO close to Bourbon Street and the noise (and occasional vomit smell that Bourbon St can offer).

The Royal Barracks is quiet at night, I mean SO quiet you will forget you are in the Quarter all together! Its only a short stroll to everything which makes it very convenient, and to top it all off the inn-keeper is incredible. We arrived and she offered us a beer straight from her fridge, as well as meeting her sweet poodle-pup. This place has all the charm you hope to find in the New Orleans south.

I have been to New Orleans plenty of times and stayed at different B&B's and Inns throughout the area, and with Royal Barracks, Im pretty sure Ive found the place I will return to with each trip.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Daphne, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My daughter and i stayed at Royal Barracks Guest House to celebrate her birthday weekend. We wanted to experience a small B&B or guest house to get a true feel of New Orleans' French Quarter. This was a perfect choice! Kelly and Sugar B were the very sweetest of hosts and both were all smiles when we arrived. By the way, Sugar B is Kelly's very sweet and very smart poodle! After being shown to our room, we found ourselves on the stoop visiting, laughing and meeting the neighbors and other guests. Hours went by before we knew it. Kelly was very helpful with dining and activity suggestions as well has some history lessons about the area.
We had the Peacock Room and loved the coziness and colors of it. We had everything we needed and felt like we were staying at a friend's home. Plenty of very HOT water and a comfy bed, mini fridge, extra towels, coffee maker and nice comfy robes. The cute courtyard was perfect for socializing and visiting the other guests.
There is not a single thing i would change about Royal Barracks Guest House and it's lovely hostesses! If you are looking for a charming, quiet and well located place to stay in the Quarter, make plans to go see Kelly and Sugar B! I know I will be back as soon as I can!

Room Tip: Parking is a little bit of a challenge, but find a good spot and walk to enjoy everything the area h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Royal Barracks Guest House? Share your experiences!