“Very Disappointed!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Kerlerec House

The Kerlerec House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Kerlerec House
You added The Kerlerec House to your Saves list
928 Kerlerec Street, New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #60 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
“Very Disappointed!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Our stay at Kerlerec House was awful. Our group rented the whole complex. We had checked Trip Advisor before we paid our deposit last September. We had read the negative reviews dated 2011 [which I totally agree with] but had assumed there had been improvements because of the more positive recent reviews. I was wrong.
I stayed in Mardi Gras. The futon in the living room was dirty and lumpy so we had to make alternate sleeping arrangements for those who were going to use it. The toilet in the bathroom shifted when sat upon which sent whatever was on the back of it flying into the bathtub. Also the door would not close properly. The kitchen cupboards were grimly. I do not think they had been cleaned in a number of years. The ladder was not secure to the loft sleeping area and one of us almost fell off because the ladder fell backwards away from the loft. There was a storm one night and we discovered the skylight leaked [we had to put pans out to collect water]. The carpet in my bedroom was also soaked from leaks. The carpets were smelly and dirty so I always wore something on my feet. I found empty drink cans under some furniture so I'm not sure how thoroughly the rooms were cleaned before our arrival. The hot tub was not maintained so the water became grungy by the end of our stay.
I wouldn't stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We rented the complex May 6-11, 2014. The most prevalent concerns were the cockroaches throughout the complex, mice, roof leaking in the main house and Mardi Gras and the owner Scott. Mardi Gras was smelly, moldy with wet carpets and very dirty. We needed to use pots to collect water during a storm. The futon in the living room is old and unusable. The loft in the second bedroom has no railing, unsafe. The locks on the doors are flimsy and unreliable, making it difficult to secure the apartment. The front gate requires a key to leave the complex. It's a safety hazard in case of an emergency.The hot tub needs upkeep, Daily cleaning is required, smelly. The BBQ needs replacing. The sitting area beside the BBQ is uninviting as the garbage bins are beside. The day we arrived the cleaner/assistant told us only one room was ready. They were short staffed. The rooms would be ready later. He told us Scott would meet us and go over the accommodations and key problems. We sent our team out to explore while two of us stayed to meet with Scott. He never arrived during our stay. I tried to call him, he did not return my calls. I exchanged many emails with Scott during the last few weeks. In one email he says "Please except my apology and I am so very sorry for any problems or issues that you or any one in your group had!!!!! while staying at the Kerlerec Guest House!!! I personally feel that not one of guest should have to tolerate, be subjected to the things that were brought to my attention!!! I so wish that the guest prior to your group had mentioned any of these things!!! At this point the only thing that I can say or do is to ask you what it is that I can do to make up for the issues and try my best to do everything in my power to make a mends for these issues!!!!. After a discussion with all members of our team, we asked for our refund returned ($3,000). We spent well over $6,000 pre paid as per Scotts contract, for 5 nights. Many emails later we received the final email "I so hope karma does not come after you because if you conduct yourself in such a manner in the rest of your life I would be very, very, very AFRAID OF WHAT WOULD BE COMING MY WAY!" I would never stay or recommend this rental. Cathie E. Ottawa, Ontario Canada.

Room Tip: Stay at Melrose Mansion. Beautiful place, same price.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

The Kerlerec House is a great place to stay for a large group! . I booked it for a bachelor party and with 18 other guys there was more than enough room for everyone. The grounds were great as there is plenty of common space for everyone to hang out. It is a very easy walk to either Burbon or Frenchman streets which was very convenient.

Scott and Trinna could not have been nicer and made the whole booking/checking in process easy. If I ever make a return trip to NOLA I will be trying to stay here.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

This place was terrible. It was filthy and in need of major repairs. We had coackroachs and mice as guests. The furniture was old and dirty. We had major rain on the evening before I left. The rain was coming through the ceiling and the walls and carpets were soaked. So just imagine the mold behind the walls. This is the worst place I ever stayed.

• Stayed May 2014
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Thinking of staying at the Kerlerec House? Look no further. This place is truly amazing...so much so that I don't even really know where to begin.

Okay, here goes. This past May (May 14-18) my now wife and I got married down in New Orleans. Seeing as how the city has something huge going on each and every weekend in May, the hotels were undeniably pricey. We were looking for an alternative to the typical wedding blocks, one that would allow us, our entire wedding party and their plus ones (20 people) and a few other select guests to all stay together. My wife and I are from Denver so we couldn't really put in the time on the ground researching locations, but we happened to stumble upon the Kerlerec House.

Upon arriving in New Orleans for the wedding week/weekend we were a bit apprehensive seeing as how we had never actually laid eyes on this property...all we knew is that all of us friends would be together. To be honest, I thought this place would be nice, historic, and simply FUNCTIONAL. Boy were we wrong!! The Kerlerec House is nothing short of AMAZING!!! First off, the pictures DO NOT do this place justice. We ended up having 28 people stay in this house (or actually, these 3 houses) and every single person said it was amazing and incredibly comfortable. Each room was quaint, clean, and well stocked with everything from towels, irons, bathroom products, stereos, and more.
The Kerlerec is actually comprised of 3 separate "houses" adjoined by a magnificent courtyard. The kitchen in the main house is large enough for almost our entire party to congregate and enjoy meals with each other. The entire house has splendid character, wonderful architecture, and tons of class.
Next came the courtyard, including the gigantic hot tub! The courtyard can be described as "cute", "spacious", "hidden", "lush", "peaceful", "serene", and quite possibly "PERFECT"! We actually held our wedding rehearsal dinner (Thank you goes out to Avery's Po-Boys for an amazing crawfish boil) in the courtyard and had over 35 guests join us. The hot tub was great, worked very well, and is very easy to control.

Want a few more awesome details? The owner of the property (Thank you again Scott) had 16 sets of keys for our group. The main wooden door to the property locks automatically every time it is closed so one could actually be locked inside or outside of the property. Needless to say, there was never a single moment where we felt unsafe or potentially intruded upon.
Also, you simply cannot beat the location. Nestled snugly onto Kerlerec St. we were mere blocks from Frenchman Street...one of our favorite places in New Orleans (I think we went there 3 or 4 times throughout our stay). The house is also one block on the other side of Rue Esplanade from the French Quarter, at Dauphine Street. The Kerlerec House puts you right in the middle of everything without it feeling really touristy or hectic.

In the end, yes the wedding was phenomenal (please be on the lookout for the rest of our reviews from this weekend...we have NOTHING but good things to say for every single element of our wedding experience) but the Kerlerec House was perhaps the most pleasant surprise and the one place I will always want to return to if the event calls for it. I would very much recommend this place to anyone who asks.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Kerlerec house with a large group of 20ish people; we rented out the entire complex for just under a week. It was the perfect place for our large group and we really enjoyed all the amenities the place had to offer. The hot tub was perfect on the cooler days, and relaxing on the many patios with a drink was always a good time. The location of the place is terrific; the Port of Call restaurant was right around the corner and a hit with our group. There is a convenience store right across the street from Port of Call as well. The place was a short walk to Bourbon street and an even shorter walk to Frenchman, where we spent most of our nights listening to great live music and enjoying good food. The number of beds and bathrooms was great and there were many areas in the house large enough for our big group to congregate. Scott was a great host to us as well, and I'd definitely return to the Kerlerec house for my next visit!

• Stayed April 2014
East Texas, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Good facility for a large group. Great furnishings, Comfortable beds and kitchen is stocked with utensils so cooking is easy but great restaurants are close. Easy safe walk to Frenchman street live music. .Neighborhood as well as other tenants quiet. One maintenance issue dealt with quickly and efficiently by managers with no inconvenience to us.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Kerlerec House? Share your experiences!