“A most amazing hidden gem!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Kerlerec House

The Kerlerec House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Kerlerec House
928 Kerlerec Street, New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #61 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“A most amazing hidden gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Thinking of staying at the Kerlerec House? Look no further. This place is truly amazing...so much so that I don't even really know where to begin.

Okay, here goes. This past May (May 14-18) my now wife and I got married down in New Orleans. Seeing as how the city has something huge going on each and every weekend in May, the hotels were undeniably pricey. We were looking for an alternative to the typical wedding blocks, one that would allow us, our entire wedding party and their plus ones (20 people) and a few other select guests to all stay together. My wife and I are from Denver so we couldn't really put in the time on the ground researching locations, but we happened to stumble upon the Kerlerec House.

Upon arriving in New Orleans for the wedding week/weekend we were a bit apprehensive seeing as how we had never actually laid eyes on this property...all we knew is that all of us friends would be together. To be honest, I thought this place would be nice, historic, and simply FUNCTIONAL. Boy were we wrong!! The Kerlerec House is nothing short of AMAZING!!! First off, the pictures DO NOT do this place justice. We ended up having 28 people stay in this house (or actually, these 3 houses) and every single person said it was amazing and incredibly comfortable. Each room was quaint, clean, and well stocked with everything from towels, irons, bathroom products, stereos, and more.
The Kerlerec is actually comprised of 3 separate "houses" adjoined by a magnificent courtyard. The kitchen in the main house is large enough for almost our entire party to congregate and enjoy meals with each other. The entire house has splendid character, wonderful architecture, and tons of class.
Next came the courtyard, including the gigantic hot tub! The courtyard can be described as "cute", "spacious", "hidden", "lush", "peaceful", "serene", and quite possibly "PERFECT"! We actually held our wedding rehearsal dinner (Thank you goes out to Avery's Po-Boys for an amazing crawfish boil) in the courtyard and had over 35 guests join us. The hot tub was great, worked very well, and is very easy to control.

Want a few more awesome details? The owner of the property (Thank you again Scott) had 16 sets of keys for our group. The main wooden door to the property locks automatically every time it is closed so one could actually be locked inside or outside of the property. Needless to say, there was never a single moment where we felt unsafe or potentially intruded upon.
Also, you simply cannot beat the location. Nestled snugly onto Kerlerec St. we were mere blocks from Frenchman Street...one of our favorite places in New Orleans (I think we went there 3 or 4 times throughout our stay). The house is also one block on the other side of Rue Esplanade from the French Quarter, at Dauphine Street. The Kerlerec House puts you right in the middle of everything without it feeling really touristy or hectic.

In the end, yes the wedding was phenomenal (please be on the lookout for the rest of our reviews from this weekend...we have NOTHING but good things to say for every single element of our wedding experience) but the Kerlerec House was perhaps the most pleasant surprise and the one place I will always want to return to if the event calls for it. I would very much recommend this place to anyone who asks.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Kerlerec house with a large group of 20ish people; we rented out the entire complex for just under a week. It was the perfect place for our large group and we really enjoyed all the amenities the place had to offer. The hot tub was perfect on the cooler days, and relaxing on the many patios with a drink was always a good time. The location of the place is terrific; the Port of Call restaurant was right around the corner and a hit with our group. There is a convenience store right across the street from Port of Call as well. The place was a short walk to Bourbon street and an even shorter walk to Frenchman, where we spent most of our nights listening to great live music and enjoying good food. The number of beds and bathrooms was great and there were many areas in the house large enough for our big group to congregate. Scott was a great host to us as well, and I'd definitely return to the Kerlerec house for my next visit!

• Stayed April 2014
East Texas, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Good facility for a large group. Great furnishings, Comfortable beds and kitchen is stocked with utensils so cooking is easy but great restaurants are close. Easy safe walk to Frenchman street live music. .Neighborhood as well as other tenants quiet. One maintenance issue dealt with quickly and efficiently by managers with no inconvenience to us.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I had my bachelor party here over a four day period and I have to say that it was everything we could have asked for. Having 16 people and try to stay at a brand hotel would have been tough. Everyone had a comfortable place to sleep. And we had plenty of room to all gather and laugh and have a good time.
As far as the location. I couldn't have gotten better. You are so close to all of the nightlife and restaurants. Just a short walk from bourbon and Frenchman streets as well as the quarter.
I truly appreciated Scott the owner. He was real and understood what we were there for and asked that we just take care of the house as we would our own.
Thanks for everything. It was a great long weekend enjoyed by all.

• Stayed February 2014
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

To put it simply the place it great. Scott , the owner , came to meet us and talked to the group about the place; it's history, location, etc. . He gave us great tips on what to do and where to go in the Quarter. Is it a palace? No, BUT it is a very , very, very comfortable "home away from home." Kerlerec House is in walking distance from everything fun in NOLA, not to mention local markets , neighborhood hangouts, and local nightlife.

If you are looking for comfort, "put the feet up," relaxing place after a long period of time in the Quarter this is where to stay.

J.J

Room Tip: No Pool- No Fitness center. Who Cares? You are walking most of the time anyway. Besides Kerlerec Hou...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ashland MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

As the bride of the wedding party mentioned in the last two reviews-We loved the Kerlerec House! We rented the entire complex and didn't want to leave. The rooms had many beautiful antiques, and the courtyard was a great gathering place for my family and friends (and where we held our ceremony). This beautiful house gave you a feel for a true New Orleans classic home.
The place was well stocked with all kinds of glasses and cups, cookware, plates, etc. we had lots of towels, and you could tell they had purchased new sheets for us.
The owner Scott, as well as his sister Trinna were great to work with from the start, and allowing for an early arrival was awesome,(which they certainly didn't have to do) I will admit, the mix-up upon our arrival was uncomfortable, but they were readily available by phone in case we needed anything (and every room had lots of documentation with their numbers on it). When we blew a fuse, the caretaker (who lives across the street, perfect) was there in minutes to help us.
I really didn't have an issue with uncleanliness, there was a couple small things left in our room, but it was quite clean otherwise. The bathrooms were a bit complicated, but that is often the case with homes that had none to begin with. We also ran our ceiling fan the whole time, and didn't notice an issue. The hot tub was fantastic as well.
The location was absolutely perfect-a quiet street that was a close walk to the French Quarter as well as Frenchman Street.
As I said, we didn't want to leave, we felt so at home here. If you are looking for super polished, boutique style accommodations, the Kerlerec House is not for you. If you are looking to spend time in the relaxed and classic beauty of a historic gem of a home-you can't go wrong renting here! We will be back!

Stayed January 2014
Berkshire, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I was party of the wedding group mentioned in the below review and I have to say my experience was the exact opposite! I stayed in the Mardi Gras House, there were 8 women in this house and we never ran out of toilet paper, or anything else. The towels were clean and the laundry on site was a bonus in case you wanted/needed to clean any laundry, which a few people required. The house was clean and fully stocked with everything you needed to cook a meal or relax with a drink. The bed was very comfortable and my ceiling fan was on from the moment I stepped in until I left, I didn’t see any dust, then again I was busy enjoying myself and not sitting in a room inspecting it. The décor goes with it being New Orleans and Mardi Gras season, fun bright colors. If you are looking for classy/elegance then maybe vacation in New York City (even then it’s hit or miss). If the person below had said anything we all would have shared our coffee mugs, we were staying as a group.
The owners not being there was what the Bride and Groom wanted, we are a big wedding group and rented the property to have privacy. It is just like any other vacation rental where you get your key and you are on your own, this isn’t a hotel, if you want attention then maybe a hotel is more up your alley? I am not sure what the overall price was, however my potion was very reasonable and cheaper than the place our group of ladies had originally booked.

The hot tub was also a great feature, I finally enjoyed that the final night there!

The owners provided Wi-Fi and a book with the local places to eat (it included menus from each place as well). Since there were several people in the group with food issues/allergies this was very helpful!

The location was perfect a close walk to everything!

There were several of us that stated we would love to go back there and stay at the same place, that is how much we enjoyed it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Kerlerec House? Share your experiences!