“A true find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Kerlerec House

The Kerlerec House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Kerlerec House
Save Saved
You added The Kerlerec House to your Saves list
928 Kerlerec Street, New Orleans, LA 70116   |
Ranked #61 of 146 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“A true find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I had my bachelor party here over a four day period and I have to say that it was everything we could have asked for. Having 16 people and try to stay at a brand hotel would have been tough. Everyone had a comfortable place to sleep. And we had plenty of room to all gather and laugh and have a good time.
As far as the location. I couldn't have gotten better. You are so close to all of the nightlife and restaurants. Just a short walk from bourbon and Frenchman streets as well as the quarter.
I truly appreciated Scott the owner. He was real and understood what we were there for and asked that we just take care of the house as we would our own.
Thanks for everything. It was a great long weekend enjoyed by all.

• Stayed February 2014

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

To put it simply the place it great. Scott , the owner , came to meet us and talked to the group about the place; it's history, location, etc. . He gave us great tips on what to do and where to go in the Quarter. Is it a palace? No, BUT it is a very , very, very comfortable "home away from home." Kerlerec House is in walking distance from everything fun in NOLA, not to mention local markets , neighborhood hangouts, and local nightlife.

If you are looking for comfort, "put the feet up," relaxing place after a long period of time in the Quarter this is where to stay.

J.J

Room Tip: No Pool- No Fitness center. Who Cares? You are walking most of the time anyway. Besides Kerlerec Hou...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ashland MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

As the bride of the wedding party mentioned in the last two reviews-We loved the Kerlerec House! We rented the entire complex and didn't want to leave. The rooms had many beautiful antiques, and the courtyard was a great gathering place for my family and friends (and where we held our ceremony). This beautiful house gave you a feel for a true New Orleans classic home.
The place was well stocked with all kinds of glasses and cups, cookware, plates, etc. we had lots of towels, and you could tell they had purchased new sheets for us.
The owner Scott, as well as his sister Trinna were great to work with from the start, and allowing for an early arrival was awesome,(which they certainly didn't have to do) I will admit, the mix-up upon our arrival was uncomfortable, but they were readily available by phone in case we needed anything (and every room had lots of documentation with their numbers on it). When we blew a fuse, the caretaker (who lives across the street, perfect) was there in minutes to help us.
I really didn't have an issue with uncleanliness, there was a couple small things left in our room, but it was quite clean otherwise. The bathrooms were a bit complicated, but that is often the case with homes that had none to begin with. We also ran our ceiling fan the whole time, and didn't notice an issue. The hot tub was fantastic as well.
The location was absolutely perfect-a quiet street that was a close walk to the French Quarter as well as Frenchman Street.
As I said, we didn't want to leave, we felt so at home here. If you are looking for super polished, boutique style accommodations, the Kerlerec House is not for you. If you are looking to spend time in the relaxed and classic beauty of a historic gem of a home-you can't go wrong renting here! We will be back!

Stayed January 2014
Berkshire, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I was party of the wedding group mentioned in the below review and I have to say my experience was the exact opposite! I stayed in the Mardi Gras House, there were 8 women in this house and we never ran out of toilet paper, or anything else. The towels were clean and the laundry on site was a bonus in case you wanted/needed to clean any laundry, which a few people required. The house was clean and fully stocked with everything you needed to cook a meal or relax with a drink. The bed was very comfortable and my ceiling fan was on from the moment I stepped in until I left, I didn’t see any dust, then again I was busy enjoying myself and not sitting in a room inspecting it. The décor goes with it being New Orleans and Mardi Gras season, fun bright colors. If you are looking for classy/elegance then maybe vacation in New York City (even then it’s hit or miss). If the person below had said anything we all would have shared our coffee mugs, we were staying as a group.
The owners not being there was what the Bride and Groom wanted, we are a big wedding group and rented the property to have privacy. It is just like any other vacation rental where you get your key and you are on your own, this isn’t a hotel, if you want attention then maybe a hotel is more up your alley? I am not sure what the overall price was, however my potion was very reasonable and cheaper than the place our group of ladies had originally booked.

The hot tub was also a great feature, I finally enjoyed that the final night there!

The owners provided Wi-Fi and a book with the local places to eat (it included menus from each place as well). Since there were several people in the group with food issues/allergies this was very helpful!

The location was perfect a close walk to everything!

There were several of us that stated we would love to go back there and stay at the same place, that is how much we enjoyed it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Portland, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We recently stayed here for 5 nights on a trip to NOLA. We were with a larger group and our rooms had been covered, otherwise we would have left after the first night. That being said, I'll start with the pros, because there were a few...

LOCATION: It is, indeed, well located. Kerlerec Street is apparently unknown by the locals (we mentioned it to several shop owners and cab drivers... no one had a clue where it was), but it's only a block away from Bourbon Street and close to Frenchmen Street, as well as a short walk from all kinds of amazingness in the French Quarter. Quiet street, no complaints there. It also has a fence in front with a locked door, so all of the outdoor areas and courtyards are protected.

PRIVACY: This could go either way... but it was definitely private. As in... the owner/manager did NOT make an appearance even ONCE during our 5 night stay. Not a peep. Nada. If you're here with a group looking to party and go crazy... awesome, you'll love it. If you're looking for SOME kind of attention or acknowledgement, you might be a bit disappointed (as I was).

And the cons...

DECOR: The website states that "Our cottages are luxuriously furnished". I don't know if I'd agree with that. Our room certainly wasn't, and we got a small tour of the rooms when we arrived (we were the first of the group) and the rest certainly didn't fit the bill either. Dusty? Yes. A bit dilapidated? Sure. Dirty enough that you don't want to walk around barefoot or use the towels on your face? Yeah. But there's nothing "luxurious" about it. I know it's historical and all of that but come on.

MANAGEMENT: As I mentioned, we were with a large group, and we were guests of one couple in the group. They were the ones to pay and arrange the rooms. When we arrived, we were instructed by the couple to call the property manager, Trinna, to be let in, since she wouldn't be on the property (even though there was a large wedding group arriving and we got there around 1:30pm). She was very curt and somewhat rude on the phone, but let us in when we arrived. She was dressed in ripped jeans and an oversized, dirty t-shirt... not exactly what I expected. She didn't seem to know what to do with us, so she gave us a weird, lazy tour around the property so we could pick our own room (this was at our request, since she seemed fine with having us sit in the main house parlor for 1.5 hours until the couple who booked the place arrived). We chose our room and she showed us the layout of keys in the main house, and then disappeared. Literally -- we had no idea where she went, and she didn't tell us anything. Cool. Apparently she didn't even come back to greet the couple (who booked the entire place for 25 people and who were having their wedding there) even though she knew what time they'd be arriving, so they had to come find us in the French Quarter for keys. Fun!

CONVENIENCES: The website states that "The main house and other cottages all have the conveniences of the modern home.", which is partially true. We did have a coffee maker in our kitchenette, but no coffee, and no cups or mugs. We had a microwave. We had a small stove top and some utensils (spatula, spoon, etc) but no pots or pans, no silverware, nothing of the sort. I know they're "guest apartments" but when you're flying somewhere, how the heck are you expected to provide your own silverware, mugs, etc? I'm not asking for much here -- you can get mismatched silverware and dishes at Goodwill. The website also claims: "All of the cottages have a microwave, toaster, coffee maker, wine, martini and champagne glasses as well as high ball and low ball glasses" -- certainly not true for us. We were also provided with maybe 4 rolls of toilet paper and 2 rolls of paper towels for 2 of us for 5 nights, and no instructions on how to replenish it. The two trash cans were microscopically small and yet no instructions on what to do with our trash when it's full. The TV was itty bitty and placed way up in the corner near the ceiling, and one side of the bed had one of the four posters blocking it right down the middle. They also supplied us with a VHS player and a boombox CD player... welcome to the 90's, y'all.

GENERAL CLEANLINESS & DISREPAIR: The front room, which was our bedroom, was mostly fine, except for the SERIOUS coating of dust on our ceiling fan (we used the standing fan once we discovered that awesomeness). The kitchen was okay, except for the cabinet doors and drawers that were literally coming off the hinges. Like, you give it a tug to see what's inside and BOOM, it's halfway off. Underneath the sink was all dank and moldy looking -- again, not many conveniences, considering we couldn't even find any household cleaner, minus the one bottle of dish soap. The bathroom, though, was the worst of all. The tiles on the floor were coming off in several spots -- a couple times I stepped out of the shower and had tiles stick to my wet feet. Gross. The sink faucet was weirdly in the corner, making it oddly difficult to wash your hands. The only amenity was a basket of wrapped soaps and body wash. The shampoo rack in the shower was peeling all over and covered in rust. The tub only had a clear liner, which was obviously covered in grime... did NOT make us want to let that thing touch our bodies. Underneath the tub we found an old used soap bar and a used tissue all balled up... really makes me feel like they cleaned for our arrival. And to top it off, there's a stained glass window behind the tub (that would look out onto a small patio area with a table and two chairs)... and it has several large breaks in the glass, right around crotch-height. We had to hang up a towel so other guests wouldn't be peeking in at our naked bodies while we showered. It also claims to be "non-smoking only" but apparently that only applies to inside the rooms -- guests smoked allllll day long outdoors in the courtyards (which are itty bitty and super close to any/all rooms) so we had the wonderful smell of it wafting into ours anyway.

All in all... disappointing, for sure. This place has SO MUCH POTENTIAL if the owners cared a bit more. Clean the place up, do a little redecorating, make sure people don't feel like you abandoned it several years ago, and it could be amazing. But ultimately, we're damn glad we didn't pay for the place... and there's no way we'd give them our money.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
brooklyn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

The good stuff: We were a party of 5, down from 7, looking to celebrate a 40th bday! The place is really cool and in a great location, and we rented the Mardis Gras and French Quarter Suites. The property manager, who is the sister's owner, was very easy to work with coordinating getting in and other matters. Very helpful.

However, we had 3 rolls of TP between the 2 cottages and 5 women. I had to buy more.
The refrigerator in the MG Suite looked like it had been burned- like there were black smoke marks all over it. It also smelled very musty in there.
The FQ suite had stains all over the carpet.
Halloween night we came home to a broken gate.
After the night where the big house played beer pong at the hot tub, we woke up to an unusable hot tub area. There were beer cans everywhere, wet towels all over the table and chairs, the filter off the tub and it was full of leaves. I had to clean this up later to use the tub- I know the big party did ask for garbage bags to clean up and did, but there were still some cans, the filter still off, and the empty bags and wet towels remained out there all weekend.

I was informed that all I had to do was call them again and someone would have taken care of it, but for the amount we paid, I do not think it is unreasonable to assume we can have a clean and useable common area during our stay, as well as everything else mentioned. The owners were out of town that weekend, so maybe this would not have been the case if they had been there.

These are somewhat minor complaints, but I know how important relying on reviews is. I would say this place is worth staying in, but I would be sure to make sure some improvements have been made in those spaces and that the outdoor area will always be in good working condition- realizing there is only so much control you can have over other guests.

And for those reasons, I do think the prices are a bit on the high side, although the location is perfect and property is really nice and cool.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Nashville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I booked the entire Kerlerec House complex for my bachelor party during the first weekend of June. We had a group of 27 guys and this place was perfect for us. With the separate living quarters, large main house, and outstanding courtyard, this place is set up for partying! While everyone was able to have their own personal space, there was also ample common areas for gathering together. Each unit has its own fridge and there are several kitchens. We made good use of all the fridge space for keeping 20+ cases of beer cold.
The location is amazing. Walking distance to both Bourbon and Frenchman Streets. The house itself is truly astonishing. Built in the early 1800s, many of the original finishes are still intact and the furniture/decor are beautiful. You really get the full French Quarter experience staying at the Kerlerec House.
The owner, Scott, and the manager, Trinna, are both very accommodating and friendly. Upon our arrival, they met us at the house to show us around, give us keys, and help with anything we needed. The house is well stocked with supplies, kitchen utensils, towels and bath stuff, etc.
After 3 nights at the Kerlerec House, I definitely say this is the place to stay in New Orleans for groups. Having the entire complex is very convenient and private. We partied hard day and night and can't wait to return for the next bachelor party!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Kerlerec House? Share your experiences!