“Clean, charming and affordable!” 5 of 5 stars

Old Historic Creole Inn
2471 Rue Dauphine, New Orleans, LA 70117 (Bywater)   |
Ranked #47 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Princeton, NJ
“Clean, charming and affordable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a week and didn't want to leave! We've been to nola several times and have always stayed in one of the big hotels. I wanted, however, to try something more authentic to New Orleans and convinced my husband to give it a try. Glenn and Diana Smith, the new innkeepers, were terrific and the inn is better than we anticipated. The beds in our suite were so comfortable we didn't want to get up. The free use of the computer was particularly helpful to us. We had everything we needed. There was fresh fruit and other goodies daily, a refridgerator outside our door for our use, and a lovely patio area in the back.
The location is safe, the neighborhood charming and we never had a problem finding a parking spot on the street.
Diana works tirelessly keeping it clean and comfortable. When I mentioned to Diana that it was my husband's birthday, when we got back from dinner a b'day card was waiting for him! And be sure to follow her restaurant recomendations!
The next time we visit our daughter at Tulane, which can't be soon enough!) we will definately stay at the Creole Inn!

• Liked — Beds and amenities
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Haines City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

This inn is actually a private home built in the 1850's and lovingly maintained for over 150 years. The new owner is remodeling, but you'd never know it (no hammers, paint smell, etc). He's brought in new and antique furniture. For example, I slept in an old 4-poster bed with memory foam mattress. A wonderful combination.
As I was travelling with my daughter,we stayed in a two-bedroom suite called the "Brass Suite". Her bed was an old brass and ceramic unit, again with new bedding. She said it slept great. The rooms are rather small, but you're not living there, just sleeping. There is a balcony in this suite which overlooks the courtyard, described below.
Your hosts are friendly, intelligent, and really make you feel more like you're staying at a friend's house than some stuffy B&B. They have a rear courtyard filled with lush tropical plants and well shaded by a huge live oak tree. The tree and house mutually protected each other during Katrina, so we were told.
Breakfast is a continental, self-service array of fresh fruit, muffins, bagels, and the best tasting coffee you've had in years! (They called it French Sumatra Blend)
If you'd rather be one of the family than some outsider paying to stay in someone's house, the Creole Inn is for you. Nice folks, expert local advice, and a great night's sleep. Well worth the stay.

• Liked — Staff friendliness, relaxed courtyard atmosphere
  • Disliked — Small rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2006

We spent only two days at the Creole Inn B&B, but it was the most relaxing & friendly environment that I've been around in a long time. I am going to name names because it is well deserved! The following names are the only ones I know by name, but I am sure theres more! Uly who took the reservation was incredibly sweet and accommidating. See I am disabled and he did everything he could to accomidate me. He was wonderful. Laverne who was very friendly and accomidating as well. She was always happy, and pleasing to be around.
John who knows everything about the city helped us a geat deal in planning our events for the day ( with a smile I might add) We asked him so many questions, and he helped us out alot. Then theres Maddie who I didn't get to know that well, but who was always friendly. I met the owner for a brief minute, but I could tell she was just as friendly as everyone else there.
I was allowed to bring my pets with me. Which made it so nice and they welcomed them with a smile and friendly attitude. It just seems like a really close family there. I would definatly reccomend it to anyone looking for a place in New Orleans. It was only minutes from the French Quarter too.

Been to Old Historic Creole Inn? Share your experiences!