“Biggest Waste of Money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hurricane Katrina Tour - America's Greatest Catastrophe

Hurricane Katrina Tour - America's Greatest Catastrophe
Gray Line of New Orleans, Inc., 2 Canal Street, Suite 2500, New Orleans, LA 70130-1857 (Central Business District)
(504) 569-1401
and up
Huntsville, AL
“Biggest Waste of Money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2008

If you are an extremely radical left-wing liberal who hates America, then this tour is for you. My husband and I paid $35.00 each to Gray Line Bus Tours and went on the Katrina tour. We literally couldn't wait to get off the bus. The tour guide was very passionate and continuously, during the entire tour, basically gave a partisan liberal left-wing speech about how the government was totally to blame, Al Gore saved them(?), the residents played no part in the chaos afterwards, Mayor Ray Nagin was correct in calling it "Chocolate City" because it's 65% African American, and so on and so on and so on. We're not political one way or the other, but we just wanted some facts about NOLA and Katrina and the progress that has or hasn't been made. We weren't looking for a political rant.

Pasadena
7 attraction reviews
“Necessary to see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

My husband and I were in New Orleans for the first time the week of August 8. We went mainly to see hear lots of great jazz and more importantly to see for ourselves the devastation left behind by Katrina. We booked throught Tours by Isaballa . Since a van is used for the tour only a maximum of 7-8 people can ride together. THis makes it more intimate that the huge buses. Our driver, a native of New Orleans, gave us so much useful information which came from the heart. I was saddended to see that so many people have not returned to their homes. What a resilient city! Get away from the French Quarter for a few hours and see what is important to see.

Texas
9 attraction reviews
“A definite must-do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

Like others have said, I too was hesitant to take this tour. One, we're not big on bus tours. And two, we didn't want to exploit people by driving around and staring at people and their houses. But after talking to some New Orleans locals, they convinced me we HAD to take this tour. You just can't get the information or understand the scope of what happened otherwise. The tour guide was a local guy who really knew his city. We learned so much we would never have learned if we hadn't taken this tour. I was told some of the money made off the tour is going to help rebuild New Orleans.

Totally worth your time and money!

Hamilton, Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Educational”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

I went back and forth about going on this tour. I visited New Orleans for my second time a month before the storm and watched all the coverage I could about it.
I surprised my Fiancée with a trip to New Orleans 28may08-02jun08 and decided that he would make the final call to go or not. He decided he wanted to do it as well. We were both iffy because we didn't want to exploit people and drive by on a big tour bus while the "refugees" rebuilt their homes.
I was surprised by how much extra I learned. Our guide was a very nice lady (I forget her name!) who is a native of Louisiana. She was very passionate and knew what she was talking about. Watching it on the news is not the same as seeing the flood marks reaching up to the attics of houses. It was also nice to get into some air conditioning! I would recommend this tour to people who have an interest in Katrina and New Orleans.

California
13 attraction reviews
“unbelievable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2008

Taking this tour made me realize how pathetically inadequate, inept and far less than thorough almost all U.S. news coverage is. What has been told on TV and in the press is far from the whole story. If you want to see the truth of what has happened during and since Katrina, take this tour. It's very disturbing, but in a positive, eye-opening way.

If you're worried about this tour capitalizing on the disaster, don't. Every local I met wants visitors to take this tour to witness the reality first-hand.