“Couldn't Be Happier!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gentry House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Gentry House
You added Gentry House to your Saves list
1031 St. Ann, New Orleans, LA 70116 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #54 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Orlando, Florida
“Couldn't Be Happier!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

We just got back last night from our 5 day NOLA Adventure and couldn'y be happier! My husband & I were on our 10th Anniv. vacation...and what an experience. The Gentry House was in a perfect location for all our trekking, eating and adult beverage needs. Brian and Charlotte were great. The guided us to some truley wonderful places that we will not soon forget. We stayed in the #2 St. Louis and loved it! If you are looking to stay in the lap of luxury with big city amenities, please don't stay here, the Ritz in a couple blocks away. If you are looking for a good home base for all that NOLA has to offer in a realistic home away from home...except this one delivers amazing, hot morning pastries everyday with a smile. (I recommend the almond covered ones) PLEASE STAY HERE. We're already planning our next trip to bring the rest of the family.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We had a bachelor party in June 2011 and our entire group loved our experience there and are extremely grateful to Brian and his wife for their help and hospitality. I am writing especially since we saw some negative reviews, which the group and I were all shocked at. Firstly, they are very helpful, genuinely interested in getting to know their guests and help them enjoy their experience in NO, and would be more than happy to do just about anything to make your stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible. Its clear they run their place in order to meet people, introduce them to the city, and just generally help people have a good time.

Also, after extensive research, this was the best location for its price by far. Cant imagine you'd get everything you get from this place plus the type of service they provide for the same price anywhere else in the French Quarter.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Gentry House for the New Orleans stop on our honeymoon and had a lovely time. The room was cosy and comfortable (4* Orleans), but still big enough for us to spread out our suitcases with room to spare. The kitchenette was useful for breakfast and the bathroom was small, but who spends their vacation in the bathroom? There was a separate sitting area and coffee table, with a dining table for breakfast. It is very well placed in the French Quarter being just a few blocks away from Bourbon and all the noise, but far away enough that it doesn't bother you. My husband and I are not party animals, so we'd quickly hop across Bourbon after dark! The neighbourhood does get very quiet near the hotel, so we tried to have our keys for the gate close to hand, but we didn't have any problems.
The only thing that marred our stay was that our neighbours weren't the most considerate when it came to noise. Our rooms were separated by a door and they didn't seem to care that there was a couple on the other side of it when they were laughing and shouting at 7am. Not the fault of the guest house or the owners at all. Some people just seem to think that if they're up, the rest of the world is! I got my own back by turning the tv up when they turned their light out at night (at least I hope it was the same guests - if not, sorry!)
We didn't meet Charlotte, but Brian was very helpful and attentive. He gave us a map of the area and some pointers and was very approachable throughout our stay. It felt like we were staying with relatives.
During our stay, we mostly stayed in the French Quarter (which I suppose is the reason people go to N.O.). We had a pretty frightening experience with our cab from the airport (a shockingly rude woman, who I think my husband still has nightmares about), so we walked everywhere and found most points of interest were within easy reach. We did take an excursion to the Laura Plantation, which was interesting for me as I studied the subject at postgrad level, but be prepared for a lot of driving. While in N.O. we did a ghost walk which was fun and also took a wander around the cemetery just off Rampart (the name escapes me). It does seem like a different world to the rest of the US and it can get a bit rowdy in the Bourbon area as the drink flows 24/7, but I'm from the north of England and have seen much, much worse on a Saturday night in Manchester. The voodoo museum was also interesting and the Gentry House is actually just across the road from the site of Marie Laveau's house.
The food in N.O. is really cheap and we managed to have dinner for between $20-$25 inc. tip. We recommend Angeli and Coop's, both on Decatur. Cafe Du Monde is 24hrs and great for late night people watching while you eat beignets and drink cafe au lait. However, if you want your beignets quicker then go to Cafe Beignet. The French Market is also worth a wander.
The Gentry House is really good value for money, to the point where I checked my bank statement and thought "wow, is that it?!" Not for those who like the high end chain hotel experience, but great as quiet and friendly little base for your trip to New Orleans.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011 via mobile

Gentry House is located perfectly a few blocks away from the lively heart of French Quarter. Though still in the Quarter, it is located just the right distance away of the bars so you can actually sleep at night.
The owners live in the back house, while the 2 other houses around the cute patio are split in small flats for guests.
The owners bring you pastries in the morning for breakfast and leave fresh squeezed orange juice and milk in the fridge, you have coffee, tea, cereals and fruits as you need.
Perfect spot to enjoy New Orleans!

• Stayed October 2011
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I am almost reluctant to review the Gentry House, since it's such a bargain. It's one of my favorite off-the-beaten-path places to stay. There are some things you should consider before booking, however!

It's a few blocks from Bourbon Street (just a couple doors off Rampart). This can be a plus, or minus, depending on your preference. It's very safe though--with a locked entry.

The whole place is in need of an update and it's not the cleanest place I've ever stayed. But that's part of the charm. As I explained to friends during my last visit: it's like your younger cousin who has a low-paying job and a busy schedule of college courses lives here. And you have a place to stay for super cheap while you're in town. Get it?

The couple who runs the place are lovely people. Stay here if you don't expect 5-star digs for 1-star prices. Seriously--it's a great price! Plus, you get fresh croissants on your door every morning--that are still warm :) Sigh. I wish I was there right now.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dover, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Brian and Charlotte was nice..The unit was old..steps to entered unit were too steep..This was a one bedroom unit with kitchen..The fridge, tub and toilet needs to be replaced..very stained and old..The bedroom could not be use because it was too hot..no ac or ceiling fan in the bedroom..Slept out in the living room on day bed..it was ok..We didnt get any replenishment of orange juice..Light bulbs were missing in all lamps..Dont think I will stay here again unless its the Saint Annes room..Unit in good location to Bourbon Street..I will be back to NO but I will stay at a hotel next time..I miss the luxuries of a hotel, room service, central air, linen change etc...If you need luxuries then this isnt the place..Price was reasonable for what you were getting.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
GentryHouse, Owner at Gentry House, responded to this review, July 16, 2011
We appreciate the feedback … but can’t helping think it would have been even more useful if the guest mentioned it during the visit: we emphasize to all we’ll provide more orange juice, clean towels, linens, toilet paper, coffee, soft drinks and even light bulbs (can’t see how we missed that) to anyone who asks (we live across the courtyard, 30 feet from the door). And the stairs, well, we have to blame them mostly on our ancestors who built the place in the 1820s. The guest is right, if you need luxuries, we’re not the place. But if you want comfortable, reasonably priced accommodations IN the French Quarter and fresh croissants delivered hot to your door by people knowledgeable and enthusiastic about our wonderful city, give us a look see. BTW. We’ve replaced the fridge.
Pflugerville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

the inn keepers were so sweet and nice, very helpful. we stayed in the room apart from the living room, it was hot back there even w the doors open, friends who slept on the sofa bed, said they got bit by bed bugs, a friend who slept on one of the twin beds said she slept perfect all 3 nights. the restroom was in the kitchen, it was an ok, stay, i think my husband and i would stay there again, again, the inn keepers were really helpful and so hospital. the location is ok., the neighbor hood is ok as well, def not the best, but not the worst.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
GentryHouse, Owner at Gentry House, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
We love hearing when things go well ... but we probably learn more from hearing about things that didn't go well. During the guests' visit, New Orleans was going through a heat wave -- our fans and window units obviously didn't keep entirely up in our 1820's house. We are perplexed by the bedbug report: the unit was checked by our regular extermination service after their visit and no sign of bedbugs was found. We examined the sleepsofa ourselves (and believe me, innkeepers these days are trained to recognize signs) and found no trace of bedbugs: no bugs, no larvae, and not even spots on sheets. We loved hearing that we're sweet, helpful, and hospitable ... that's exactly what we set out to be to all our guests.

Been to Gentry House? Share your experiences!