“Very classy and great service.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center

Save Saved
You added New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center to your Saves list
New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   859 Convention Center Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70130   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save now in New Orleans
Ranked #46 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
“Very classy and great service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We paid 109 for one night but they do charge for parking about 32 bucks but better than public parking. Restaurant and bar available, very nice but a little pricy for food but it seemed New Orleans was really more expensive for food.

• Stayed November 2012

400 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
mobile
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

a really big hotel but the check in was really efficent. New elevators programed so that you rarely had to wait. Newly renovated rooms and an extremely comfortable bed. Perfect location for dipping into the quarter or simply avoiding it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Maennedorf
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stopped here for 2 nights. Location is OK, but neighborhood is not spectacular. It's within walking distance to the wild French Quarter and even wilder Casino, as well as the Riverwalk.
Staff is friendly and helpful, Concierges are exceptionally friendly and efficient. Maintenance needs more management control (a problem Marriott has worldwide): Toilet seat was flipping around, the shower sprinkled water everywhere except where it should be. The charge for the WiFi Internet is onerous and outrageous (again a problem we have complained to Messrs Marriott for the past 10 years without success). This seems to be a generation problem with Marriott. We do not see why any guest should pay for wireless internet (yes we have arrived in the 21st century).
Restaurant : Service and food quality are good, prices are on the high side.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I booked three rooms here for a family of eight, for the one night we were in town prior to leaving on a cruise from the New Orleans port. I booked the hotel based on it being across the street from the port, it having a concierge level for Marriott Gold members and because it had a pool for the kids traveling with us.

The pros:
1) The staff is by far the hotels most significant asset. I am often frustrated by the dismissive attitude in service oriented businesses. But at this Marriott, every staff person we encountered was customer oriented, positive and pleasant. In addition to their "what can we do to assist" attitude, each staff person appeared to have been empowered with the ability to resolve an issue without having to locate a manager. They were kind and attentive to the two children in our group and responsive and service oriented to the adults.
2) The lobby was busy but there was no wait for check in. The front desk was appropriately staffed and check in was not only efficient but the staff person (Sean) was extremely pleasant. I was disappointed to learn the concierge lounge was closed on the weekend, as I had thought I had verified the hours at the time of booking (which was several months earlier). Sean provided breakfast vouchers for us in lieu of there being no lounge available, which satisfied everyone in the group.
3) We couldn't locate a bell person to assist with our luggage (a lot of luggage for a group of 8) and when I saw a manager in the lobby and requested assistance in locating the bell staff, who were obviously busy with other guests, the manager, without hesitation, interrupted what he was doing, took the luggage cart and accompanied us to our rooms himself. Impressive.
4) The staff in the restaurant were incredible. The chefs preparing "made to order" egg dishes and pancakes were entertaining and engaging and the wait staff were very attentive. Outstanding.
5) You never are left waiting. Even when I was waiting for the return of a staff member who was checking on something for me, another staff person would suddenly appear and be concerned as to whether my needs were being met, as I appeared to be unattended.
6) Rooms were clean, had the usual Marriott comfortable bedding, were quiet and sound proof and well appointed.
7) Late check out was provided for Gold status members.
8) Despite the hotel being busy, the elevators to the higher floors were quick.

The Cons:
1) We received unrequested "wake up" phone calls at exactly 4:59 a.m.
2) We watched a movie in our room, which on the plus side was a film still in theaters, put on the down side, appeared grainy and fuzzy on the TV. On the plus side, when I went to talk to the front desk the next morning about the movie and the wake up calls, they removed the movie charge and were appropriately sympathetic about the inconvenience of the unwanted phone calls.
3) The pool is really small and was not heated. It was freezing and not suitable for swimming.

Overall, great location, lovely hotel, nice restaurant and exceptional staff. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ruston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We selected this hotel to be near family who were in NOLA for a convention. I was a little worried about the location for those of us not at the convention but no problem. It was very convenient to everything we wanted to do. I felt very comfortable walking. The rooms were nice and the staff were very helpful and friendly. I didn't have a problem with valet parking. They make it very easy and fast. Would stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed at the New Orleans Convention Center Marriott recently while attending a convention at the nearby Morial Convention Center. For the most part, the hotel's service and facilities were good and I’d stay there again.
My room was nice; I was assigned a room that’s sometimes used for mobility impaired guests, so it was a bit larger than some other rooms. My Marriott Elite status was noted and I received my requested king bed. The room was clean and the housekeeping staff did a fine job keeping it that way.
The staff members in the lobby were helpful with information about restaurants around town. Note to the food and beverage manager: restaurant service could be slow, as I found twice when entertaining clients at lunch. In addition, the bartender in the hotel bar poured a fairly consistent short shot. I mentioned this to my friend, and he said he’d seen her do it with other patrons.
There was a charge for internet, unfortunately par for the course at hotels such as this. I didn’t have time to check out the fitness facilities, so I can’t comment on them.
So, the hotel facilities and service were good, but the restaurant and bar service could use some work. In general, a good place to stay if you’re attending a convention.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Anderson, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel was great, centrally located to the convention center. But what really made the visit stand out for me was our concierge. She set us up to have a wonderful time seeing the city, enjoying the nightlife and sampling the local flavors. My enjoyment of the trip was intricately linked to our concierge's hard work. When you're here get Rhoda Martinez to hook you up

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center? Share your experiences!