“Rhoda Martinez” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center

Save Saved
You added New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center to your Saves list
New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center
Ranked #47 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Brentwood, Tennessee
“Rhoda Martinez”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My spouse and I had the pleasure of meeting Rhoda Martinez, the concierge at the hotel. We were there to celebrate my birthday and it was the 4th of July weekend. The city was full of people attending the Essence Festival. Right away I spoke with Rhoda and she had everything planned for us in a couple of minutes. From tours, museum visits to very nice restaurants, we had reservations. If you are ever in New Orleans and want to get off the tourist path and experience some great New Orleans Food, give Rhoda a call. She is truly the best in the business and will go beyond the call of duty to ensure that you have something positive to talk about back home or before you leave the great city of New Orleans.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

411 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Fort Mill, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

From start to finish, this was a really bad experience for me. I had decided not to write a review because I will be so pessimistic, but I answered a survey with honesty to one the Marriott emailed me after I returned home. Unfortunately, the response back from the hotel was totally rude. Here is how the stay went:

1. Initially, the check in went relatively well. And, I really liked my room when I actually went up to it. The problems started on the phone about 15 minutes after I reached my room. One of the ladies from the front desk called and asked if my husband was with me. I told her that he had decided not to come. I had already told them that at the front desk, but someone apparently didn't acknowledge it. If she asked me once on the phone, she asked me at least 3 times if he was with me. I thought it was very rude and uncalled for, actually.

2. About 10 pm later that evening, I went into the bathroom and discovered a leak coming from the ceiling right over the commode and the bathtub. The two were actually on top of each other. Even though it didn't really bother me, I didn't know where the water was coming from so I thought I better call the front desk to let them know. She said she would send someone up, and he showed up within 10 or so minutes. He left at some point to go and get some tools. But...he didn't do anything to fix it. He said that the water was coming from the room upstairs and that he would fix it the next morning from that room. I will say that he offered to get me moved, but he told me he would have the leak fixed the next morning so I chose to stay in that room. Well, the ceiling was still leaking two days later when I checked out. I guess he decided not to fix it afterall nor come and tell me that it wasn't going to be fixed. It did get a little wet throughtout my stay.

3. What made matters worse with the leak was that I had to use my clean towels to keep the amount of water on the floor in check. From the time I checked in until I left, my room was never cleaned nor were clean linens offered. When I put this on the survey, the only response I got back from the maintenance manager on anything I said concerned their failure to clean the room. And, guess what, I got the blame. I stayed in my room to sleep in that morning. I had the "do not disturb sign" on my door, but....I took it off and went down to breakfast about 10:00 am. After breakfast, I had a series of meetings so I was gone the whole afternoon. My room was not touched. The moral to the story is don't sleep in at the Marriott on Convention Center Blvd in New Orleans. That gives them an excuse to pass your room on by. I guess it allows them to go home early.

4. When I checked out, I learned that my husband was never taken off of my reservation so the bill was in his name when I was there on business for a conference and had put the bill in my name from the start. When I asked that the room service be taken off my bill, they were having a hard time doing that because his name was on the bill, and I, of course, needed it to be solely in my name in order to claim the expenses at work. It took them, at least, 15 minutes, with the help of the manager, to straighten everything out. The irritation was not because of the time. The irritation was because they had called and questioned me 3 times on the day I checked in about my husband after I had already told them he wasn't with me, and they still didn't have everything correct.

5. I was placed on the 3rd floor right across the hall from the concierge room. The information in the room said that all guests on the 3rd floor were eligible to use the room, but my key would not work. I am a rewards member so I felt I should be able to use it, especially since I was right across the hall and their information said that I would be able to use it.

The room was comfortable, but there was just too much else going on to enjoy the stay. I would not stay there again. Thank goodness I had reduced rates due to the conference I was attending or else I would have been really bummed!

Room Tip: I had a great view. It overlooked a backstreet alley. I was on the 3rd floor on street side. If y...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Mandeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I attended the CONNECT conference in New Orleans this past week. I read some reviews about this hotel and was a bit skeptical on staying there. So I made a reservation to the Hyatt Regency, for a back up plan. Once I arrived the bell man greeted me and I was hooked. He was pleasantly delightful. The front desk clerk was also very patient and thanked me for being a rewards member. I immediately cancelled my reservation to the Hyatt once I got to my room. Every employee I ran into spoke to me and thanked me for staying there. If you're there for a conference at the Convention Center it is directly across the street and a couple of blocks away from Harrah's Casino. I am VERY satisfied with this hotel and would definitely stay there again and refer others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Okay, let's get the basics out the way. If you're attending a convention in New Orleans, the Marriott is the best for location and convenience. But moving on to may real reason for writing--Rhoda the concierge. Oh she just make went through her little rolodex and came up with winners all around. Got us into Annunciation, a hot new restaurant a few blocks away. Found us a City Tour that helped us experience the Lower 9th Ward and other authentic New Orleans sites. And then made a reservation for us a Musee de Free People of Color. A boutique museum that really transports you to black history in New Orleans and a whole 'nother world. A former realtor, Ms. Rhoda knows her city and when we told people Rhoda had sent us, they just smiled and said, "Oh, Rhoda. Everybody knows her."

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Cutler Ridge, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel. When we check in they give us (4 people) a room with a king bed only but after we comeback to complain they realize their mistake and fixed very quickly. Valet parking wasn't bad at all. Overall was a good experience. Very close to Riverwalk.

• Stayed August 2012
Clinton, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

The posted check in time is 3 pm, so when I arrived at 1:30 I wasn't surprised that my room wasn't available. I was asked for my phone number and told that I'd be given a call when my room became available but in the meantime I could give my bags to the bellhop for storage and "hang out" until I'm called, I asked what time should I expect a call and was told probably close to 3, so I settled in. Well, when 3 came and went I became frustrated and wanted some answers, I was told that they were booked to capacity and as soon as housekeeping let them know I would be given a call. The guy at the front desk offered to "buy me a complimentary drink at the bar for my troubles. I said no thank you I just want the room that Ive paid for. Well we finally were checked in at 4:30 pm and when I asked was the drink offer still on the table I was promptly told "no". We were able to salvage the rest of the eveningbut you'd think that an establishment of this sort would know better...... I guess not. Overall the stay was nice, clean rooms and hotel staff were friendly. I just know next time to arrive late for my check in........ Oh wait...... there won't be a next time!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

the only comment , well 2 . should have free wifi , but I think all hotels should have it. if Holiday Inn can why not everyone? also, the charge for parking is outrageous, as is every hotel in New Orleans. Bar and restaurant very comfortable Room was comfortable and quiet and quite large for N. O. hotel rooms.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to New Orleans Downtown Marriott at the Convention Center? Share your experiences!