“Mistake on Room and No Help from Hotel Staff” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #96 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Hattiesburg, MS
“Mistake on Room and No Help from Hotel Staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family and I had a reservation at this New Orleans East hotel while attending a convention in the area. We arrived at the hotel which looked nice and clean on the outside. I was greeted by the clerk and checked into my room pretty quickly with no problems. Once I arrived at my room and opened the door, an extremely strong odor of smoke hit me. This was the strongest smoke odor I have ever smelled at a hotel. I have been in smoking rooms before that would have a hint of smoke in them, but this room was so bad that I smelled like it after only walking in for about a minute. One of the walls also looked like it had been "patch painted". The new paint was a different color so each part that had been repainted stood out pretty bad. I went back downstairs to the front desk and told the clerk that my room smelled terrible. She looked at my reservation and told me that I was put down for a smoking room. I told her that I did not want a smoking room and could not sleep with that smell. She told me she had no more double rooms but could give me a king room. I told her that all four of us could not sleep in a king bed. She then told me there was nothing she could do. I again told her I could not sleep in that room and she responded "I'm sorry, but I can't do anything." Since I'm a Priority Club Platinum member and made the reservations through them, I told her I would call them for help. She responded, "They can't do anything about it." This is not the way to treat a customer that is tired from traveling and in this situation. I called Priority Club and explained the situation to guest relations. They assured me that the hotel manager would contact me within 5 minutes to resolve the situation. Fifteen minutes later, I had received no call so I called Priority Club back and had them move me to another hotel. I was moved to the Holiday Inn in Slidell. The new hotel was much, much better and more in line with how a Holiday Inn should be. This whole situation could have been so much better if the front desk clerk would have offered to try and help me find another room in the area. I response of "I can't do anything about it" is not the right answer. I still have heard nothing from the manager of this hotel. The Priority Club did make sure I was not charged for the room.

Room Tip: If you don't smoke, make sure they don't try to stick you in a smoking room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Stacy T,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to New Orleans, LA.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

79 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Great staff, room clean, great breakfast, clean property. Stop at this hotel on our way home to Memphis, Tennessee. Great location on minutes from burbon street and action. Lots of shops in area, Staff was soooooooooooo helpful. Great bed and we got a smoking room

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Plant City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stopped by New Orleans and had terrible timing, the Saints had a game so downtown was out of the question, we found this Holiday Inn Express a few miles from town and what a GEM it was. Very friendly staff, fantastic continential breakfast, rooms were new and clean. Such a blessing to be able to drive in to town, do the tourist stuff and drive back. I highly recommend this Holiday Inn Express and will look for the same hotels in my future travels.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor, room was great. I would recommend top (4th) floor to others, no complai...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

We wanted to stay outside of Downtown and the mess of Bourbon Street by by New Orleans. This hotel was newly renovated and so nice! The General Manager let us check in early and was very helpful. Great hotel at a great price. It is only a 15 drive to the French Quarter. Worth a stay!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

As previously mentioned New Orleans East is not a glamourous location, but this recently renovated hotel met our every need -- with easy access from I-10. We found the rooms to be quiet and comfortable and the free wifi was not too congested. The French Quarter is about 15 minutes away, but prices here are far more affordable than hotels in town, especially with the free parking, with large parking spaces. Would definitely come back if our travels take us this way again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

New Orleans East is not noted for glamour, but this recently renovated budget chain hotel pleases with gorgeous carpet, gleaming tiled public spaces, and granite showers and baths—it all feels a bit uptown. I found the rooms to be quiet and comfortable and I appreciated the rainfall shower head and the free wifi. The French Quarter is about 15 minutes away, but prices here are far more affordable than hotels in town—I’d call this a luxury bargain.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The staff was very friendly and nice. Altogether the hotel was clean and very presentable and it is now my choice of hotel in that area.The breakfast area was clean and quite tasty. It wasn't a bad drive to the downtown area but it was doing Essence Festival and the traffic was hectic.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East? Share your experiences!