“New1” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #99 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
“New1”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The staff was very friendly and nice. Altogether the hotel was clean and very presentable and it is now my choice of hotel in that area.The breakfast area was clean and quite tasty. It wasn't a bad drive to the downtown area but it was doing Essence Festival and the traffic was hectic.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Boynton Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

We had to book here at the last minute when our original reservation fell through. Clean, quiet and close to I-10. 10-15 minute drive into town is true, but not terrible. Attentive staff, good small gym and filling breakfast items. Worth the money.

• Stayed July 2012
Florence, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

This hotel is a good 15 minutes from the French Quarter without traffic. We knew that going in and since we had a rental car, it was not a huge deal. We stayed here on my husband's points and understandably it took a lot less points than a downtown hotel would have.The outside and grounds were well maintained and the lobby was attractive. The staff we came in contact with were friendly and helpful with the exception of the woman who took care of the breakfast buffet. She did not seem to like her job or her customers very much. The selection of food for the breakfast buffet was excellent and the food was very good. The bathroom was large but the room was small. We had a king size bed and there was room for only a desk, no table in this room. And with having a refrigerator and microwave it would have been nice to have a table to eat at. Our room overlooked the parking lot and since there were not a lot of other guests, it was quiet. For the 5 days we were there, the one thing I didn't care for was how cold the hallway was to our room. We were a distance from the elevator and every time I stepped into that hallway I felt like I was entering a walk in refrigerator. As with many sections of East New Orleans, restoration of the area is very spotty and there are few businesses and restaurants close by. If you did not have a car, it would be difficult to find any place to eat that is close by.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

This Holiday Inn is fine as a hotel but is just a little too far outside of New Orleans. It's about 10 miles to the city centre and this means if you want to sample the night life (and you must) you need to pay for taxis. We tried the taxis and although the journey was fine, 20mins or so, the cost was around $30 each way! The hotel itself lacked a little finesse, the rooms were clean and the receptionists were very helpful, but the teas and coffees were rarely replenished and there was some noise from other guests (not the hotels fault I must add). All in all a comfortable stay but too far from anywhere and anything; if I were to return to New Orleans I would choose a hotel closer to, or in, the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Hotel is clean and appears to be recently remodeled. Room is nicely furnished, clean, flat screen tv, coffeemaker, refrigerator, clean and comfortable bed. It has short stubby pillows but it doesn't bother me since I always bring my own anyway. Large bathroom with nicely done shower. Shower curtain was a bit short but workable. Water pressure could have been better. Suction toilet was nice. Well lit parking lot.

Neighborhood is sketchy. I wouldn't walk around, especially at night but there isn't really anything to walk to anyway. A ten minute trip will get you to the French Quarter.

Now the HUGE dealbreaker for me. I came here to lie out in the sun and absorb all those rays. Well, I'm on day 3 and the pool area is still closed. They keep telling me it will be open soon (hours) but it never is. I was again promised tomorrow it would be open. Which is my last freaking day. Honestly, I think they just don't want to open it because then they will have to pay to clean it(to an outside vendor). If it is not open by checkout time I'm canceling my last night and going across the street to Comfort Suites. If you need a clean place to crash this will work for you but don't expect much else.

Room Tip: Room 300 was nice. At the end of the hallway (so less traffic) and I was able to look out at my car...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Darrin M,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am pleased you liked your room accommodations. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Ok. This place isn't bad, but one staff member said that they would charge our Double Bed room for the price of a King with Government Rate. And also, the neighborhood isn't very spectacular either. One thing that makes it a 3 star rating is because of an abandoned motel being next to the hotel. It looks more like a hotel for bums. And not to mention, there are quite a few cops driving by the hotel. The room looks nice, flat screen TV however, makes a funny beeping sound when it starts up or shuts down. The pool seemed nice. The breakfast was delicious and had creamy, and tasty cinnamon rolls. So overall, the place is nice with courteous staff. I give it a three because of the neighborhood and that one "employee."

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Mitchellthetraveler,

Thank you very much for writing us a review regarding your recent stay. It's nice to hear that you like our breakfast options especially our famous cinnamon rolls. Please accept my sincerest apology for the issues you had during your stay. I understand the inconvenience this has caused you. Rest assured, your review will be forwarded to the appropriate departments and will be used to reconsider improvements needed. Thank you for staying with us and we would hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to New Orleans, LA.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
York, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Very friendly, helpful and knowledgable staff. The most comfortable hotel bed we slept in during our 3 weeks in USA. Clean and secure. Good Wifi. A long way out of town. Pair it with Triple J Transportation who will inexpensively ferry you to and from town every day. James from TripleJ is a mine of information on NOLA. The only downside to this hotel is the standard Holiday Inn Express Breakfast. While there is a variety of food available for breakfast it is all highly processed and not very nutritionally balanced, kinda standard mediocre American food.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East? Share your experiences!