“Out of town.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #96 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Out of town.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

This Holiday Inn is fine as a hotel but is just a little too far outside of New Orleans. It's about 10 miles to the city centre and this means if you want to sample the night life (and you must) you need to pay for taxis. We tried the taxis and although the journey was fine, 20mins or so, the cost was around $30 each way! The hotel itself lacked a little finesse, the rooms were clean and the receptionists were very helpful, but the teas and coffees were rarely replenished and there was some noise from other guests (not the hotels fault I must add). All in all a comfortable stay but too far from anywhere and anything; if I were to return to New Orleans I would choose a hotel closer to, or in, the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Hotel is clean and appears to be recently remodeled. Room is nicely furnished, clean, flat screen tv, coffeemaker, refrigerator, clean and comfortable bed. It has short stubby pillows but it doesn't bother me since I always bring my own anyway. Large bathroom with nicely done shower. Shower curtain was a bit short but workable. Water pressure could have been better. Suction toilet was nice. Well lit parking lot.

Neighborhood is sketchy. I wouldn't walk around, especially at night but there isn't really anything to walk to anyway. A ten minute trip will get you to the French Quarter.

Now the HUGE dealbreaker for me. I came here to lie out in the sun and absorb all those rays. Well, I'm on day 3 and the pool area is still closed. They keep telling me it will be open soon (hours) but it never is. I was again promised tomorrow it would be open. Which is my last freaking day. Honestly, I think they just don't want to open it because then they will have to pay to clean it(to an outside vendor). If it is not open by checkout time I'm canceling my last night and going across the street to Comfort Suites. If you need a clean place to crash this will work for you but don't expect much else.

Room Tip: Room 300 was nice. At the end of the hallway (so less traffic) and I was able to look out at my car...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Dear Darrin M,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am pleased you liked your room accommodations. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Ok. This place isn't bad, but one staff member said that they would charge our Double Bed room for the price of a King with Government Rate. And also, the neighborhood isn't very spectacular either. One thing that makes it a 3 star rating is because of an abandoned motel being next to the hotel. It looks more like a hotel for bums. And not to mention, there are quite a few cops driving by the hotel. The room looks nice, flat screen TV however, makes a funny beeping sound when it starts up or shuts down. The pool seemed nice. The breakfast was delicious and had creamy, and tasty cinnamon rolls. So overall, the place is nice with courteous staff. I give it a three because of the neighborhood and that one "employee."

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Mitchellthetraveler,

Thank you very much for writing us a review regarding your recent stay. It's nice to hear that you like our breakfast options especially our famous cinnamon rolls. Please accept my sincerest apology for the issues you had during your stay. I understand the inconvenience this has caused you. Rest assured, your review will be forwarded to the appropriate departments and will be used to reconsider improvements needed. Thank you for staying with us and we would hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to New Orleans, LA.

Anthony M
Case Manager
York, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Very friendly, helpful and knowledgable staff. The most comfortable hotel bed we slept in during our 3 weeks in USA. Clean and secure. Good Wifi. A long way out of town. Pair it with Triple J Transportation who will inexpensively ferry you to and from town every day. James from TripleJ is a mine of information on NOLA. The only downside to this hotel is the standard Holiday Inn Express Breakfast. While there is a variety of food available for breakfast it is all highly processed and not very nutritionally balanced, kinda standard mediocre American food.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

My family of 9 stayed at the Holiday Inn Express the day before we were to leave on a cruise. We were treated like we were the only guest at this hotel. The rooms were very clean. Which I am really funny about. The continental breakfast was like eating in a restaurant. Bacon, eggs, pancakes, gravy and biscuts. The service was excellent!!!. Just excellent!!! We were greeted at the front desk by Preslyn. She was nothing short of the best. She went above and beyond her job discription. I appricate great customer service and she was came through. She helped us get the rooms we needed and then she worked with us to get us the best transportation to the curise ship. And we did get the best driver James from Triple "J" Transportation and Tours. My hat is off to this hotel. a +10 rating. My family will make sure we pass the word on this one. Thank you so much starting our vacation off to a great start.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Ocoee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East. The room/bathroom was very clean. The bed was very comfortable. For an express hotel, this really exceeded my expectations. The complimentary breakfast was good. This hotel is only about 5-7 miles from the Michoud Assembly Facility which made it very convenient. I will definitely stay here again if I'm on business travel

Room Tip: My room was right next to the elevator but never was there a hint of noise
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Saint Charles, Missouri, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

My daughters and I were leaving out of New Orleans for a cruise. I reserved a room to stay at for the night before the cruise, and paid for the room online through the company website. The night we were to stay, I called to tell them to inform them that we would be arriving later than I had thought due to traffic, and I told clerk, (Christina), that I didn't want them to give away my room. She assured me that it was no problem, since I had already paid for my room. When we finally arrived in New Orleans, we took a very wrong exit, and when I called to clarify directions I was told they no longer had a room for us! I was completely dumbfounded! Wow. I told the clerk, (Zach), that couldn't be right, as I had already paid for the room, and that I had even called earlier and informed them that we were running late! Instead of helping us, or even apologizing for their screw up, I was hung up on! My daughters and I were stranded after 12 hours of driving, and lost in a very scarey abandonded industrial area, with absolutely no idea where we were, where to go, or how to get out of the area! With the Grace of God we found our way to a gas station where we were told that it was not safe for us to just drive around in that area. They told us that we could use their parking lot to sleep in the car, and they'd keep an eye on us. They told us where to park so that the survillence camera could also watch the car! Needless to say, by the time we finally got on the ship, we were a mess! When we returned from our cruise, I called the corporate office. They were very apologetic, and told me that someone from the hotel would be calling, and that the hotel would be removing the room charge from my credit card. One week later, and still no calls from the hotel, and the charge is still on my credit card! I called the Corporate offices, again they were very apologetic. The Customer Servce Rep called the hotel and spoke with the property manager. The property manager offered NO APOLOGY. I was told by Customer Service that the room charge would be removed. We'll see!

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Lag726,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to discuss this further with you to make sure this was resolved. We have sent you a private message to get more information. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Katie J
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East? Share your experiences!