“good for an overnight stay, but hey, what's that smell?” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #100 of 154 Hotels in New Orleans
Dothan, Alabama
“good for an overnight stay, but hey, what's that smell?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Stayed here the night of Thanksgiving. Clean lobby, friendly staff, good price with free parking, as compared with pricier downtown hotels that charge $25 and up for each night of overnight parking. Stayed in an executive room, which is a fancy word for a small room. In Holiday Inn Express terms, I think "leisure" rooms are more roomy. Good free breakfast. Easy on/off to highway. About a 10ish minute drive from hotel to downtown New Orleans. Immediate neighborhood around hotel looked a little sketchy, wouldn't recommend it for taking a stroll. TV channels were hard to find, no menu or guide available printed out or on screen. Room was clean, but appeared to have been smoked in at some point, even though it was supposed to be nonsmoking. Overall, no major issues. Good for an overnight stay. Recommend Gray Line bus tour of the city once you get there!

Room Tip: Executive style rooms are a bit small, if they offer leisure style, those may be more spacious.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

No problems here. Property is clean and has been updated. The lobby and breakfast area is clean. Breakfast was great and well stocked. Breakfast host was friendly.

The room was very clean. The water pressure in the bathroom was a bit lacking. Otherwise no problems.

The area is fine, the hotel property is very very well lit and fenced off. It adjoins with the comfort suites hotel. Lots of parking available. There is an abandoned motel across the street that is being torn down and a closed down restaurant near the street. There are two gas stations nearby and the shell station has a great little connivence store. Across the interstate they have an Ihop and mcdonalds.

There is also a NORTA bus that will take you downtown for $1.25, and its a $30 cab ride back from the french quarter.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I was in town for business and stay here for 14 days. During my stay I was treated like family. My room was clean each day of the week. My wake up call was set ontime each day. The staff spoke to me when I when to work each day and when I came back each day. The Hotel is a very quiet and my sleep was great each night. The Hotel is putting in new carpet threw out the hotel. I will be back. If your in the area, this is the Hotel to stay at.

Room Tip: Call the hotel direct for best rates.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Chico, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

When we walked in the staff was absolutely awesome the lobby area was clean, bright and cheery. We went to our room to find a room We did not expect from the chain: Holiday Inn. The bathroom toilet had a leak, the carpet was dirty,the curtains had holes in them, the bed was uncomfortable and the walls were paper thin. Staff could not do anything about the physical appearance but they did mop the floor. Smoking is allowed in this hotel so the fumes lingered in our non-smoking room. In the morning they did have a "breakfast " but the sitting was limited and we had to grab something and go. the location is great to see the city if you are ok with taking your car. Be careful parking is limited and if you come back to late to head to an "overflow" area that my wife did not feel safe in for the car or herself. Free internet was available but we did not use it. It was also nice to have free parking. Next time we go to New Orleans we will go somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Based on a few very negative reviews, I was a little skeptical about staying here. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised! It was a good choice for me, as I wanted a hotel right off I-10, which it is, and not downtown where parking would be an issue (this hotel has plenty of free parking).

The front desk staff was very nice, even though they were busy. The room was very clean, comfy bed, nice big bathroom with huge fluffy towels, and had a frig and microwave. I couldn't ask for more.

I found the hotel to be a little on the pricey side; but, not as bad as downtown or the French Quarter. It was convenient to downtown New Orleans - just a few miles away.

The breakfast is typical Holiday Inn. Good and plenty of food. There are also PLENTY of fast food joints within 5 minutes of this hotel.

I would recommend this HI, and I would stay here again, even though I am usually a Marriott girl! It was a great stay!

Oh, and I would like to add one thing - just a notation. This is an area that was hit by Hurricane Katrina. Behind this hotel is an abandoned building (looks like it was a hotel too). It has been that way for years and is kind of an eyesore. I didn't care, but to some people who want a better view, this is what you might get from your window.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
houston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I'm not one to write reviews, but this place takes the reward for dirtiest awefull hotel I have stayed in for a long time. I travel for work, so I give a lot of leeway for hotel staff, but everything from the green pool, the fake sausage (some seudo soy and meat mixture) at the morning breakfast to the dried (what ever it was) splattered all over the wall of the room, the left over ( I can only assume mardi gras feathers) in the sofa bed, which we needed for my son, and don't forget your feet get black if you walk on the carget in the room.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for the Taj, but I know Holiday Inn can do better and at $159.00 a night I was not expecting hotel scum.

One other thing, this hotel is in far east side of the Metro plex and you DO NOT want to do anything in the immediate area. Our room looked out over the abandoned remains of a hotel next to ours, Oh and the green pool!!

And one more thing, the Wi-Fi network was horrible. I got bumped off at least four times and could not get an IP address assigned, so at least 30 minutes waisted messing with this

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
northshoreliving, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
We apologize for your bad experience. Currently, the hotel is under renovations with completion in September. The vacant buildings near the hotel, due to Katrina, are going to be torn down. The neighborhood has recently opened The Dish on Hayne Blvd, which is fine dining and lounge. There is going to be a WOW Wingery coming to the area.
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

I wanted to let you all know about the hotel that I stayed in. I normally stay in the Quarter or Downtown area but, this year I had to book later than usual and this was pretty much the only thing I could book. I'm bringing this to your attention cause I know that the City of NOLA wants to give it's best to visitors.
I've been in hotel sales for 21 yrs and I was disgusted what I saw, smelled and by the lack of service that was provided. I booked the hotel on Price line, due to the availability of the time booking so as you know I paid in full at that time.
I called the hotel directly and asked when it was built and when was the last renovation. I was told it was 6 yrs old and they renovated in July 2010. I thought well great!! not bad.. so I booked the hotel.
We arrived late on Friday night after the parades. I was with my Sister Christie and her two girls one 10 and the other 11. Upon booking and calling them directly I was told no problem about getting a non smoking room. Well, needless to say we did not get it. We could see clouds of smoke in the hall and in the room itself. I was given a bottle of fabreeze spray. I was told that the Ops Mgr told them they couldn't move anyone everyone was already pre keyed and paid, that there was nothing they could do til morning. We slept through the clouds and the harsh spray which you could imagine if your not a smoker..
The next morning I asked to be moved and they did. Great we said... it was a non smoking room, we were happy to breath again. We left that day after 1pm and I asked the front desk agent to pls let housekeeping know they could now clean.. She said oh we are only doing limited service just towels and trash.. hmmm I thought well OK that is good. We really did not dirty the room.. We got back after midnight that night and no towels and now trash service.... I went down to the from desk and let the agent know.. she apologized and gave me a few towels...
The next day we slept in and left the room about 3pm and told the front desk agent that we were leaving and they could clean the room.. oh yes sir she said I'll let them know...
Well we arrive really late that night cause of the two parades on Sunday night.. NO SERVICE AGAIN!!!! no trash, no towels, and no vacuuming.. I was really angry then.. The frond desk agent was very sorry and logged it in her book.. we were so disgusted and ready to leave but, we had paid in full so we stuck it out.. The next morning I woke up and went to get ice down the hall.. when I opened up the door at 8am there was throw-up two doors down next to the elevator and across near the door of the room someone did not make it to their bathroom. There was a large towel trying to cover it up and a large sheet on the other near the door with two large yellow cones saying wet area.. it stayed there till later that morning. I should have taken pics of all this but, never thought that one more bad thing could happen. Well I was wrong.... the girls did not sleep on the sleeper sofa they slept with my sister and I in the King bed, I'll show you why.

I really want to contact the GM about this or owner but, not sure if anything would really get them serious about doing anything about it. But, i did call the GM he was not in but i was transferred to his voice mail, guess what... it was full so i could not leave a message.
I hope you all do not recommend this property until they improve on many issues.
I want to attach pics of what I saw in our room....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express New Orleans East? Share your experiences!