“Wonderful Marigny spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bohemian Armadillo Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Bohemian Armadillo Guesthouse
735 Touro Street, New Orleans, LA 70116 (Marigny)   |
Ranked #75 of 145 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Bloomington, Indiana
“Wonderful Marigny spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Our stay during French Quarter Fest could not have been more enjoyable. We occupied the Voodoo Room and were extremely comfortable. The innkeeper, Dayna, very nice in accommodating our every wish. Thanks Dayna! Great location, a block off Frenchman and short walk to Quarter. Our new home when visiting NOLA!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

12 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful stay here for french quarter fest. We'll definitely be back Dayna was a wonderful host and our room (the bordello room) was as advertised and tastefully decorated. The other guests were great and you can't beat the neighborhood. If you expect daily maid service and other chain hotel services, then you should stay in a chain hotel. Small B&B's and or guesthouses, especially in New Orleans, are more geared to your (the guests) privacy and total neighborhood experience than cookie cutter service. We loved our time here and would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: Tjhe bordello room is great for a couple, You can hear people walking by as it fronts onto the stree...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Voodoo room for a few days and really enjoyed it. The place has character and was exactly what we were looking for in New Orleans. You can't beat the location, it is close to everything while still being nice and quiet.

You don't actually get breakfast with the room but the restaurant across the street does a great job of taking care of that.

If you are looking for a quiet, authentic place from which to explore New Orleans this is your spot. It was clean, comfortable,and really well priced.

Room Tip: voodoo room is spacious and has its own living room / second bed room
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Great location on a quiet street in the Marigny. Easy access to Frenchmen, and walk to the Quarter.

Small B&B, comprising three brick Creole cottages. Historic character. My room (Voodoo) was clean and comfortable, but not luxurious. Three room suite with sitting room and kitchen. Very good value compared with suite hotels, if you are looking to save money with meals in your room.

Good choice for the independent travelers looking for a non-chain experience and comfortable getting around on their own.

Room Tip: The suites offer more flexibility, especially for a longer stay.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

This place is under new ownership, sometime in the past couple of months. I hope that most of my problems can be attributed to a changing of the guards, however, I will warn others as I wish I had been warned. We had high hopes for the Voodoo Room because of the full kitchen and two rooms and perfect location. It is in a great location if you like Frenchmen Street and the Marigny. It's not so functional as two rooms since it is a shotgun and you have to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom and kitchen. The full kitchen was not as described or I expected; a hodge podge of dirty utensils and plates without a microwave or a working oven Lastly, it is my opinion that it was FILTHY. Although I tired to grin through the dirt, I couldn't handle it and we had to find another place to stay. Our feet were blackened by the dirty floors after walking around without shoes, the bedding was stained, the trashcans were beyond gross. These are just a few of my gripes about my stay. The bad taste came after, once we received our promised refund, less 2/3 of the refund for a "cancellation fee" which the owner failed to mention when she emailed me that she would be happy to refund our money.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dayna E, Owner at Bohemian Armadillo Guesthouse, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Bohemian Armadillo. Making sure our guests have a comfortable stay is important to us, and I wish you had let us know about your concerns before vacating. Patricia, Graham or I would have come and immediately re-cleaned your room and shown you the location of the microwave and how to operate the oven (which takes few minutes to heat up). Again, my apologies for your experience, we have taken steps to ensure that this doesn't happen again and welcome you back to the Bohemian Armadillo anytime.
Dayna
Little Rock, AR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

There's good news and bad news about this property. The good news is it is in a perfect location (at least in my opinion). We were in NOLA for a girls getaway weekend and we were close enough to walk to restaurants and bars both in the Quarter and on Frenchman and felt safe doing so. Also the price was very reasonable at $100 per night with tax included.
The downside was that our room (the Bordello) was not the relaxing oasis we had hoped to find. It was dark brown from floor to ceiling, kind of like being in a cave, and offering little light from in room fixtures. Very dark! Upon arrival we found old leftovers in the fridge and realized that right next to the bed was a door leading to the street - a little creepy! The bathroom was okay, just a standup shower with a little mold growing at the bottom. Our initial observations: The advertised hot tub was non-functional, the "coffee cart" was a total joke with an empty coffee canister, no creamer and only some old crystallized sugar. Our other complaint, we were only given 4 bath towels and 1 hand towel and ZERO washcloths for two women for 4 days!! And one of the towels had to be used as a bathmat since none was provided. We called the proprietor to ask for coffee and washcloths to which she obliged but told us she had quit putting washcloths out b/c guests were getting makeup on them. Isn't this par for the course in running a "Guesthouse"??? In any case, I think we could have called the proprietor with any of these complaints and most would have been solved. If you are okay with that, then this is a fine place for you. I just like to have someone else worry about the details when I am on vacation!
Basically, the Bohemian Armadillo is truly Bohemian. It is a room and no more. You will have to ask for everything you get, take out your own trash and possibly even have to clean out the fridge on arrival. The owner seems very nice and with a few details corrected this could be a great place!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of amenities and service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dayna E, Owner at Bohemian Armadillo Guesthouse, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Hello Belagirl,
Thank you for taking the time to write about the Bordello room - I purchased the Inn in September and have completely renovated. I agreed with you, it was dark, dank and unwelcoming. The ceiling and walls were actually fake and painted brown -- when removed, I found the original beautiful high beams and bead board - the walls were the lovely old barge board. The room is now fully restored with a new stainless steel refrigerator. I will be uploading the new photos soon (it makes a great before and after look). Come back soon, it is still a very reasonable $100 everything included (even breakfast!)
Thanks again for the review and helping to guide the renovation.
Dayna
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

I lived in the jazz room at the Bohemian Armadillo for three months while I was spending the summer in New Orleans. It was a great little studio apartment with a full kitchen (hard to come by at a Bed and Breakfast). The apartment itself was cute and cozy. It's set up more for a short term stay, and there wasn't a whole lot of storage space for somebody who is actually living there, but it was doable and would be perfect for a short stay. Street parking is fairly easy, and I thought the place was pretty affordable for the location. I couldn't imagine a better location - the Marigny is a great, historic, colorful neighborhood, and the Bohemian Armadillo is just a couple of blocks away from Frenchman Street, which definitely has the best collection of bars in the city. It's the kind of place locals and "in-the-know" tourists go. The entirety of the French Quarter is also within easy walking distance. It's a really fun place to stay, and I'd definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Bohemian Armadillo Guesthouse? Share your experiences!