“Great value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 153 hotels in New Orleans
Portland, Maine
“Great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

I just returned from a 5 night (Feb.15-20th) girls’ getaway in New Orleans. I chose Country Inn and Suites because of the reviews on this site. I was very happy with my choice. This hotel doesn’t feel like a chain. The old warehouses have been restored to create a beautiful atmosphere.

Room:
I booked a standard double queen room through Travelocity. We actually only stayed in that room for one night (room 326). The room was sufficient. Beds were comfortable. The noise from the garbage truck did wake up my two friends early the first morning. I had a pair of earplugs in and heard nothing.

The next day we were upgraded to a queen suite (room 302), free of charge. The front desk was concerned about heavy rains (which never came) and a possible leak in our room. We were very happy to upgrade to the bigger room. Our new room was spacious with separate living room w/microwave and mini-fridge. Again the beds were comfy and the noise was minimal. My only complaint was that not all the channels in the bedroom TV set came in clear. They were grainy and the color was distorted on a few channels. The living room TV was fine. I appreciated the free wi-fi, though it is common in most hotels.

Staff:
The people who we dealt with at check-in/out were very helpful and friendly. When we called down for some extra blankets and towels the staff was quick to respond. Both the bartender and the concierge were very friendly. I also spoke with Karen in the reservation dept. prior to our arrival. She was kind enough to fix an error that was made when booking through Travelocity. Everyone at this hotel was very friendly and went out of their way to make sure we had a great stay.

Food/Drink:
Breakfast was standard, but enough. There were some eggs and make your own waffles. There were also danishes, English muffins, bagels, oatmeal, cereal, etc. The coffee machine was accessible 24 hrs. a day. It was nice to be able to sit outside in the pool area or at extended lobby area at breakfast. Though, the pool area seemed to be a place were all the smokers seemed to congregate.

The bar served light snacks and a variety of beer and cocktails. The bar had 4 happy hour specials, none of which were vegetarian.

Location:
The three of us were extremely happy with the location of the hotel. . The neighborhood felt very safe. We were within 2-3-block walk of the French Quarter, 2 blocks of Harrah’s and the Riverwalk. We were only about a 15-minute walk to Bourbon Street and 5-7 minute walk to the streetcar stops. The location was also ideal during our stay for the beginning of Mardi Gras. We were able to see a bunch of parades and the hotel was only a 1-2 block walk to the route.

Overall:
We were extremely happy with the choice in hotels. I would not hesitate to book this hotel again on another trip to New Orleans. I would recommend this hotel highly to anyone looking for a convenient location and good service without paying an arm and a leg.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

1,811 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Turkish first
St. Louis Mo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

We were at this hotel for 4 nights (2/11 -2/15). I usually like to stay in a local hotel instead of a chain in a large city, but the pictures and reviews were positive, and we found a great deal.

We arrived early (a very early plane trip) and although were were at the hotel at 10am, they found a room for us. Not just a room, but we were upgraded to a suite. It was on the 4th floor. Although I read complaints about the noise, our bedroom was far enough away from the hall and the lobby that I did not hear a thing. My wife is a light sleeper, and she said she too did not hear anything. We came in late a few nights, and there were signs in the lobby reminding people to keep quiet. The room was very clean, and the beds were very comfortable.

The staff was great, the concierge suggested many restaurants, and any request was received and accomplished if possible. On the day we were to leave the streets were conjested with parades, and the front desk called numerous cab companies to verify we could get to the airport. The breakfast was as good as expected, and they were constantly replenishing anything that ran out.

The location was the best, 2 blocks from Canal and the French Quarter, 2 blocks from the casino, and 3 blocks from St. Charles Street with the Street Car and the parades. We could not have asked for anything more at this price.

Richmond, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

We chose this hotel based on the good review on Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. The hotel is great, we stayed on the fourth floor near the elevator. The hotel is quite sound proof as we didn't hear anyone. There suites were nice and very roomy. There was a small fridge, coffee maker and microwave in the room. This was very nice as we had leftovers to take back to the hotels after the large meals. It was great to have access to water, drinks etc as well. The bedroom had a huge king bed which was very comfotable. One thing I did have a problem with was waking up with bloodshot red eyes every morning?!?!? I do have allergies. My husband thought perhaps problems with mold after flooding. We went to Mothers for dinner one night and food was delicious but I unfortunately ended up with food poisoning and lost a day of my short vacation as I had to spend it in the hotel room. Close enough to walk everywhere, the French Quarter and Riverwalk.

We were worried about safety when we read about New Orleans but we felt quite safe staying here and walking around. Although it is definitely not very busy on the streets around the hotel at night.

• Liked — Good breakfasts.
  • Disliked — Red itchy eyes from allergies
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2009

My husband & I booked a short trip to New Orleans to get away from the Michigan cold & snow for a few days. Having liked the CI&S chain elsewhere and having stayed in a hotel in a restored canal house in Amsterdam last summer, the idea of staying at a motel in a restored historic building was appealing. We loved this place!!
The exposed historic brick walls in the lobby area, the interior courtyard with the small pool and the pretty living room sitting area were wonderful. Having the breakfast as part of the price saved us a lot of money and contained plenty of options: yogurt, cereal, bagels, English muffins, do-it-yourself waffles, toast, cold boiled eggs, juice, coffee, tea, etc. Our room, 232, was in an excellent location near the elevator and seemed spacious to us. There were 2 queen beds, a lounge chair, a desk & chair. The beds were comfortable. Bathroom was attractive and clean. Closet was adequate size. I'd guess it was about 3.5 feet long. Does any traveler need more? There was a safe in the closet. Also, it had a hairdryer, iron, & ironing board.
Everyone on the staff was very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is in a great location -- 2.5 blocks away from the French Quarter. Decatur St. in the French Quarter is called Magazine St. once it crosses Canal St. We walked or took streetcars to every place we went, except for the airport. Lunch at Mothers is 1.5 blocks away, too. Wonderful time; we'll stay here anytime we go to New Orleans.

• Liked — Historic facility, great location, breakfast provided
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

As you consider a trip to New Orleans, you will undoubtedly be trying to ensure that the hotel you choose is in a safe area. My wife and I felt very safe in this hotel and we walked to and from the French Quarter several times a day. There were always folks out and about and the area is well lit. You may encounter an occasional beggar/homeless person, disheveled cook out for a smoke or a youth in baggy shorts trying to look mean and cool, but you'll find those folks in any big city and in the French Quarter anyway, so not to worry.

Another big advantage of this hotel is that you can walk to the French Quarter very easily and we even walked down to the WWII museum. Not to worry -- you will not go hungry or thirsty at this hotel. There are plenty of bars and restaurants all within walking distance (or a cheap cab ride) Plus, the streetcar and bus are also nearby, so you really don't need a car if you stay at this hotel and simply want to explore the tourist areas of New Orleans.

Avoid room 231 -- it's next to the housekeeping closet. Do however try to get a suite. It's worth the price to upgrade for the extra space as the standard rooms are quite small.

The "Everything" store on the corner is expensive, but they do in fact have most everything you may need or have forgotten. Definitely visit the Suave Bar and Grill across the street and go to Mother's for breakfast which is around the corner.

I agree with the other posts: the standard rooms are small, the breakfast is average but a nice perk and the pool is small, but it's there. This hotel has been in and around the top 10 on Trip Advisor for a while now and while I can't say it will blow you away, it's the right combo of value, convenience and safety that most travelers will be looking for in this market.

Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

Just returned from a Convention I was attending. My husband & I booked this hotel because of its close proximity to Canal St. Trolley and Convention site.

The hotel had a charming mix of yesterday's architecture late 1800's- with original brick walls and old wheel compartments of an old elevator in the lobby. The maintenance engineer told us that the hotel contained some 8 original buildings to make up the current space. There was a lovely courtyard with a fountain and dipping pool; with lovely blooming vegetation, however, every time I wanted to go in and enjoy the scenery-there were smokers hanging out- so we avoided it...

We upgraded our room to "Exec. Suite". This room had a separate bedroom with King, and separate living room with sofa/TV. The suite was the whole corner of the 4th floor. Beautiful floor to ceiling (12ft) windows! Very clean. Bed was very comfortable. The furniture was not especially fancy, but for the price it was fine. The only suggestion I would make to the hotel would be to upgrade the paper products used in the bathroom- both facial & toilet paper were a bit scratchy. Towels could have been a bit softer.

The free Continental breakfast was typical- make your own waffles, breads, bagels, pastry, fruit, etc. I really liked the Mocha in the Coffee machine- they also had Latte and Cappuccino.

The toiletries provided "Asira Botanicals" were very nice. When I mentioned to the front desk that the body lotion was very nice- she offered to send additional bottles to my room. When we returned later that day, there were 3 extra bottles there waiting for me in our room! I call that SERVICE!

The front desk staff was extremely cordial & friendly! Every staff member we encountered was very friendly and said hello with a smile. (Very unusual for theses days) The housekeeping staff was efficient and friendly.

At the Bar, they had "Happy Hour "specials on beer. The local beer is "Abita" gold & amber. Very good. They also had pizzas and meat pies at a very small price. The bartender John, was especially friendly, and recommended some local restaurants that were very good and inexpensive.

We definitely enjoyed our stay here, and will recommend to anyone going to New Orleans- French Qtr.

• Liked — Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Low-budget paper products
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

I booked this hotel after reading the reviews here and back then it was rated quite a bit higher than it stands now. However I was not disappointed. The best part of it is its location, very close to the Quarter but quiet enough to get some rest away from the crowds. The room was average size, the king size bed was comfortable but not the most comfortable I have seen, and the bathroom was appropriately equipped and clean. The closet was on the small side and the in-room coffee was pretty bad but considering they provide a free continental breakfast that was not a problem. Staff was friendly and efficient, the bartender made excellent cocktails, and the free internet was a plus. The building is pretty and rooms don't feel like or look like the average hotel chain. We got a pretty good deal for the stay so I was happy overall but my review would have been different if the price had been higher.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Country Inn & Suites New Orleans French Quarter? Share your experiences!