“GREAT HIBACHI!!! Love Chef Yugi!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
new orleans
“GREAT HIBACHI!!! Love Chef Yugi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2010

We go to the Little Tokyo on N. Carrollton and we love the hibachi there! We always have the same chef and he is amazing! I would recommend this place to anyone. We only had a problem one time and it was with the server Gwen. There were no other hibachi tables sat at the time, so she wasn't busy, yet she brought us drinks and we never saw her again until we needed the check. She never refilled drinks, brought my sons highchair, brought my sons drink, or even asked how things were and the restaurant wasn't busy. In fact, we were the only table in there. By all means GO TO LITTLE TOKYO, but don't sit in Gwen's section.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta, Georgia
“Great ambience, fun hibachi experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2008

This review pertains to the N. Carrollton branch of Little Tokyo.

New Orleans has experienced an explosion in the growth of Asian-themed restaurants, and Japanese food is now ubiquitous across the city. Little Tokyo continues New Orleans' trend of good quality Japanese restaurants with a great selection of offerings from hibachi dinners to tempura and sushi.

The look of Little Tokyo has been updated with a modern, Asian-zen feel to the decor. With high ceilings and dim lighting (courtesy of fun, fish-shaped lights), a classy and upscale ambience is set. On my most recent visit, I took advantage of the hibachi room. While there were some initial problems with the slow heating of the hibachi grille, we still had a great time (our chef Yugi made the experience all the more memorable!)

For appetizers, I have to recommend the Agedashi tofu - it's by far my most favorite preparation of this tofu dish in the city. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and soaked in a wonderful spicy sauce, the tofu really hit the spot.

As for the hibachi dinners - they are quite filling. At around $20 a piece, they come with soup, salad, a grilled vegetable medley of zucchini and mushrooms, your choice of meat/seafood, rice and noodles. A great deal! I have to recommend both the tuna teriyaki and scallop dinners. Tuna is a great, meaty fish with lots of flavor, and the scallops were grilled to perfection. The drum and salmon were mediocre.

Finally, I have to comment on the service - the waitstaff was attentive. Even though we had to wait a while for the hibachi to get started, we were not ignored as we sat.

While it's no Benihana, Little Tokyo nevertheless makes a strong impression.