“A fabulous dive” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Parasol's

Parasol's
2533 Constance St., New Orleans, LA 70115 (Irish Channel)
504.302.1543
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Irish Channel
Description: Born in 1952, in the Irish Channel neighborhood, Parasol's is a New Orleans tradition that is known as THE place to go for roast beef po boys, and a huge St. Patricks Day block party. We are a neighborhood bar to the world, where everyone is welcome and treated like an old friend. Our kitchen is dedicated to taking old school New Orleans food to a new level of flavor and quality. Belly up to the old Irish bar and enjoy a pint of Guiness or wander upstairs to our smoke free dining room. You can indulge in our delicious food either way. Parasol's is a throw back to a simpler time when the social life of the neighborhood centered around the corner bar. A place where the stuff of life is discussed, celebrated and even mourned. At Parasol's it's all about you !
New York City, New York
“A fabulous dive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a dive, seating is in the room behind the bar. Very popular for good reason. Probably as fine a roast beef or shrimp po-boy you could find anywhere. I'm only sorry I only had time to go once during my trip. The wait for the po-boys was absurdly long, but the first bite made everyone forget the length of the wait. I can't wait to go back.

Visited March 2013

Miami Beach, FL
“As good a po' boy as you'll find anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The only negative about Parasol's is that you may have to wait 35 to 40 minutes for your sandwich. From there, it's all terrific. I had fried shrimp on French bread and my wife, a roast beef po' boy. Our only problem was that we didn't have enough time in town to come back for more. While the wait was a little long, the service was very friendly, as were fellow diners. Don't miss Parasol's if you're in New Orleans.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Parker, Colorado
“Big enjoy!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I came on my fist trip ever to NOLA for business and researched all the options for the best oyster PO BOY. Ther are many trendy Bowtie picks down around the quarter, but I found this place and took 4 friends from all over the country with me. This is the real deal. The sandwich has upwards of a dozen great oysters on it and it is a classic neighborhood joint. If you have one chance to get a PO Boy...go here!!!! Owneris great, staff is great, food is off the hook!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Virginia
“Bar Review Only”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

While I did not eat at Parasol's, I did have beers and cocktails. This is a cool neighborhood place with lots of locals and good cheap beer and drinks. If you are in the Irish Channel / Garden District, go here. Be ware though that the bar is smokey! But the best thing is that you can always get your beer or drink to go. So, get a beer or drink and walk around the neighborhood.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Ontario
“THE place to go for Po Boys”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Parasol's may be intimidating for some. The restaurant/bar is outside of the tourist area (Canal St/French Quarter) in the Lower Garden District, just off Magazine St. It's a local bar, so patrons are more social. And it's small.

But you must visit! The red beans and rice were worth the venture. Then the gumbo came out. I loved the gumbo. I ordered gumbo to-go so I could have some the next day. My favourite po boys were the Firecracker Shrimp and Catfish. Though, I gravitate toward fried seafood when I'm in New Orleans. The steak po boy is also a recommendation.

The experience itself was like being at someone's house. We got to help ourselves to the sweet tea. We ordered at the window but our food was delivered. Everyone was friendly and genuine. It made for a welcoming casual atmosphere.

The only downside is that my family didn't show me Parasol's until my last night in New Orleans.

I will definitely be back to Parasol's on my next trip to NOLA. I have to have that gumbo again...and the shrimp po boys!

Visited February 2013